Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnoised with Multiple myeloma - what next?, support etc.

Options
  • 18-09-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

My uncle has just been diagnosed with Multiple myeloma of the skin. He will be starting his treatment (chemo and steroids soon). Our family have no experience of cancer and I was wondering could anyone suggest how we should start in approaching this new challenge. Are there any books out there that would help us to learn how to support our uncle through this time? Our there any support groups available where we could meet people who have being though the process and can maybe reassure us?

All suggestions welcome,

GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have no experience of that one but I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer back in 2006 when I was 32. I found the Irish Cancer Society to be great, both for me to talk to and for my relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

GotBainne? wrote: »
    Hi,

My uncle has just been diagnosed with Multiple myeloma of the skin. He will be starting his treatment (chemo and steroids soon). Our family have no experience of cancer and I was wondering could anyone suggest how we should start in approaching this new challenge. Are there any books out there that would help us to learn how to support our uncle through this time? Our there any support groups available where we could meet people who have being though the process and can maybe reassure us?

All suggestions welcome,

GB.

First step would probably be to read up on the condition a bit. As far as I know, MM is all to do with the bones/bone marrow - I've never heard of it to do with the skin? :confused: Could it be that he has Multiple Myeloma and melanoma, but there might be some confusion about the diagnosis?

As regards support groups - best thing is to talk to his nurses, they'll have all the info you need for your locality.

I have a lot of personal experience with MM - for privacy reasons, I'm not going to discuss on thread, but feel free to PM me if you wish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/

Her blog contains everything ever written about Myeloma. A huge amount of study has been done into the positive results Curcumin has.

Advertisement