Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying student centre levy

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

do we _have_ to pay this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

do we _have_ to pay this?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

i'm not paying it this year, we'll see what happens

It'll go down as a deficit on your account and you won't be able to graduate until you pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You won't be able to graduate and all your results will be blocked and they wont unblock it until you pay it...

It's not a real fee though. It's just a levy. I will report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

That goes towards funding all the student services including the clubs and societies. If you join a club you're sure to make it back simply by being an active member. And if you're complaining about a simple €72, obviously you're getting the grant. Just remember that those not getting a grant have to pay the €2250 on top of that!

Honestly, you're just causing yourself hassle by not paying it. They will catch up to you!

I have no interest in subsidising societies or student centres. I think this is a voluntary fund disguised as a obligatory.

Can someone find me the referendum on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I have no interest in subsidising societies or student centres. I think this is a voluntary fund disguised as a obligatory.

Can someone find me the referendum on this?

If you are so interested in it why do you look for yourself and leave the rest of us to pay the Fee and enjoy the amenities it provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is the levy not to pay off the boat house and other building stuff?
    I though clubs & socs is funded by the university via the reg fee

I was under the same impression Jester.

If you don't want to pay it OP, then off with you to the Fees Office and state your objections. I'm sure they'll be more than accommodating. :rolleyes:

We better not see you in the Stables, SU building or the rest of the Student Centre during your time here though! :pac:

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I was under the same impression Jester.

If you don't want to pay it OP, then off with you to the Fees Office and state your objections. I'm sure they'll be more than accommodating. :rolleyes:

We better not see you in the Stables, SU building or the rest of the Student Centre during your time here though! :pac:

what's that supposed to mean?

those things aren't financed by the levy, i am already paying ed fees and reg fees.

what's that supposed to mean?

those things aren't financed by the levy, i am already paying ed fees and reg fees.

It was a joke.

And I'm almost certain they ARE financed by the levy, but I'm too lazy to check tbh.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It was a joke.

And I'm almost certain they ARE financed by the levy, but I'm too lazy to check tbh.

not funny and incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

They see me trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Or else we could all just go and check what it pays for.

http://ulsu.ie/about/studentcentreplans

If you don't like it then vote no in the referendum. The 2012/2013 fees schedule also lists the levy as an occasional fee at the end of the document so I reckon if you don't pay it you are probably ****ed when it comes to graduation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

"University of Limerick
    UL charges a student centre levy of €72 for full time students and €58 for part time students.
    It was decided in AY1994/95 to dramatically expand the Stables complex and
    provide a significantly wider range of services to the student body. It was 48
    agreed between the University and the UL Students Union to target funding
    for this project on a 50:50 basis, with the UL Foundation acquiring 50% of the
    funding from a range of donors and the balance of the funding being provided
    by a special student levy. In March 1995 a special levy of £30 per student
    was agreed following a referendum of the student body. This levy is linked to
    inflation and was to remain in place as long as necessary to provide the
    required 50% of the capital costs of the project. It was estimated that based
    on enrolment levels at that time and interest rates that the funding would be
    completed by 2008.

In 2003, UL students voted by way of referendum to provide funding to fund
    the construction of a boathouse. The project was to be funded through the
    extension of the student centre levy on the basis that the payment timetable
    was extended for a maximum of eight years from the existing termination date
    of AY2007/08 to AY2015/16 or less, should the said mortgage be repaid
    before the period of 8 years."

Exert from Pg47/48 http://www.hea.ie/files/files/file/ReviewOfStudentCharge.pdf

"All students will be required to pay a fee balance before enrolment to cover, where applicable, the Registration, Examination & Student Services Charge, and the Student Centre Levy"

"All full-time postgraduate students are required to pay the Student Centre Levy of €72. The Higher Education Grants Scheme does not cover this fee"

Pg7 and 9 of http://www3.ul.ie/finance/docs/FeeRegulationsAY1112.pdf

"The Levy has been used as a development fund for first the original student centre in the courtyard where the Students' Union is currently located, then it was used to fund part of the Arena, then it was used to fund part of the Boathouse and now we are asking students to extend the development fund again to fund a new student centre."

From http://www.ulsu.ie/about/studentcentreplans

Summary: Student charge paid/pays for Stables, Student Union Courtyard/Buildings, Arena, Boathouse. The hope is it will pay for the new centre too - but you have a vote in that.

Hope this answers your 'bah humbug' question.

All the best.

Advertisement