Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable classless route definitions

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Problem:
    I've a wireless Cisco router from UPC at the front of my house but the wireless signal at the back of the house is pretty weak.

Solution:
    A couple of Homeplug adapters & a NetGear wireless router setup as an Access Point. My laptop & my printer work fine connecting to the access point, getting their dynamic IP addresses & being able to connect to the internet.

Problem with solution:
    I have 3 Android devices in the house that can't get a dynamic IP address.
    They stay stuck on "Obtaining IP address".
    If I give them a static IP address then they can connect to the router (in the front room) but not to the internet.

Google says:
    There is a known bug in Android when it gets a "classless routing response" from the DHCP request.
    Full details here but the solution given in this link means nothing to me.

Any wireless experts out there know how to do it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

frash wrote: »
    Problem:
    I've a wireless Cisco router from UPC at the front of my house but the wireless signal at the back of the house is pretty weak.

Solution:
    A couple of Homeplug adapters & a NetGear wireless router setup as an Access Point. My laptop & my printer work fine connecting to the access point, getting their dynamic IP addresses & being able to connect to the internet.

Problem with solution:
    I have 3 Android devices in the house that can't get a dynamic IP address.
    They stay stuck on "Obtaining IP address".
    If I give them a static IP address then they can connect to the router (in the front room) but not to the internet.

Google says:
    There is a known bug in Android when it gets a "classless routing response" from the DHCP request.
    Full details here but the solution given in this link means nothing to me.

Any wireless experts out there know how to do it?

Thanks.

Would guess that relates to a server giving out DHCP, It states that the device accepts
    he dhcp request but doesn't route correctly, so not your problem.

No in your situation I would guess that you probably have DHCP turned on on both devices and its this that's causing the problem, make sure DHCP is turned off on the second router

What static IP settings are you giving. Gateway and dns should both be the first routers IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Thanks for the reply.

No - only the main router is acting has DHCP enabled.
    So no DHCP on the second router.

When assigning static IP address I've tried setting the DNS to be both that of the main router (UPC IP Address) as well as 192.168.1.1 (main router's IP address) but neither time can I connect to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hmmm, I suspect it is something to dod with the way your AP is set up.

Suggest you try the following:

- With the AP connected & turned on, can you get your android devices to obtain a working DHCP lease from you main (UPC) router? If you can, then it is an AP config issue I expect. Check the following:

1 - Check that the ethernet cable from the homeplug is going to a LAN port on the AP. DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT ON THE AP!! (Wan port is a different colour, often yellow)

2 - On the AP, make sure RIP is OFF.

3 - On the AP , make sure UPNP is OFF.

4 - Configure the AP with a static LAN address, and the router set as default GW. No DNS info required. Ensure that the static IP address is outside the DHCP scope of the router, but is in the same subnet.

Hopefully this will get you sorted....

-FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    Hmmm, I suspect it is something to dod with the way your AP is set up.

Suggest you try the following:

- With the AP connected & turned on, can you get your android devices to obtain a working DHCP lease from you main (UPC) router? If you can, then it is an AP config issue I expect. Check the following:

1 - Check that the ethernet cable from the homeplug is going to a LAN port on the AP. DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT ON THE AP!! (Wan port is a different colour, often yellow)

2 - On the AP, make sure RIP is OFF.

3 - On the AP , make sure UPNP is OFF.

4 - Configure the AP with a static LAN address, and the router set as default GW. No DNS info required. Ensure that the static IP address is outside the DHCP scope of the router, but is in the same subnet.

Hopefully this will get you sorted....

-FoxT

Thanks for the reply - lots to check there when I'm next home but I don't think there is a problem with the AP setup as my laptop & printer can connect to the AP and obtain a dynamic IP address from the main router. They can also both connect to the internet using that IP address.

All my internet searching leads me to believe it's an Android issue with the way the main router responds to the DHCP request. I think I need to somehow change that on the main router.

Having said that I will double check all that you have suggested.

Thanks.

Well I tried what you said but still only the printer & the laptop can connect to the internet via the access point.
    The Android devices can't.

I've again tried giving the Androids static IP address & they then connect to the wireless AP and are visible as connected in the main router but they cannot access the internet - in fact they can't even ping 192.168.1.1 (the main router).

One point on the suggestions...
    I've read here & in several places not to connect the cable in to the WAN port but as you can see on the screenshot below my NetGear wizard says to set it up using the WAN.
    Anyway I've tried it both waye (LAN & WAN) and the result seems to be the same :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1817kvu47wlc0vx/WirelessAP.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm, at this point I am just guessing.

- Can your android devices get a DHCP direct from your UPC wireless router?
    - If they can, then can they access the internet via the UPC/Cisco
    router?

( If this is true, then it sounds like the netgear/homeplugs are not DHCP relaying properly.)

- And, can they then go on to access the internet via the netgear
    router?

- WHat happens if you take the homeplugs out of the loop & connect the Netgear direct to the Cisco with an ethernet cable?

I am asking these Q's really b/c I am guessing...not sure what is going on but would be v interested to see what the final solution is here. I am not entirely convinced about the android bug....though it may well indeed turn out to be the root cause...

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Have you tried swapping the roles of the netgear with the cisco router?

Can't be done, as the Netgear has no cable connector. Even if it had, it still wouldnt work as its MAC address would be different, so UPC DHCP would reject it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Can't be done, as the Netgear has no cable connector. Even if it had, it still wouldnt work as its MAC address would be different, so UPC DHCP would reject it..

Yeah was only thinking about it in work and realised the error. Sorry.

Hmmm, at this point I am just guessing.

- Can your android devices get a DHCP direct from your UPC wireless router?
    YES
    - If they can, then can they access the internet via the UPC/Cisco
    router?
    YES

( If this is true, then it sounds like the netgear/homeplugs are not DHCP relaying properly.)

- And, can they then go on to access the internet via the netgear
    router?
    NO

- WHat happens if you take the homeplugs out of the loop & connect the Netgear direct to the Cisco with an ethernet cable?
    Haven't tried that - will borrow a long ethernet cable form work

I am asking these Q's really b/c I am guessing...not sure what is going on but would be v interested to see what the final solution is here. I am not entirely convinced about the android bug....though it may well indeed turn out to be the root cause...

-FoxT

Thanks for the reply (as always)

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    Yeah was only thinking about it in work and realised the error. Sorry.

Thanks anyway :)

Gave this another go during the week & am now convinced it's an Android issue.

I'm now very happy that my network is setup ok with the wireless AP as I have connected 2 laptops, a printer & an iPhone to the AP. Each one gets an IP address & can connect to the internet.

Only the Androids can't :(

The next thing I'm going to try (and I know it's not advisable) is to have 2 DHCP servers on the same network.
    Something for the weekend....

Advertisement