Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies Drogheda - Incorrect price tags

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever noticed that price tags displayed in here are sometimes different when you get to the counter?!
    I've become more and more vigilant when using this store for this very reason...
    Fair enough there are times where you might be reading a different item's price tag, but like I've said I'm like a hawk in this place and TWICE now, I've got to the counter, been quoted a different price, queried it with their customer service only for them to turn around and say "Sorry that tag hasn't been updated on our system!!, you're right... bla bla..."
    Just curious anyone else experience this?
    A quick google would suggest otherwise... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

In Dundalk, I've almost given up on the place. It's crazy and to be honest, that's if there even is a price tag on it.

I went to buy a Lawnmower this spring. Happy with my choice and price I went to the counter expecting to pay 99 Euro for a good decent BOSCH Mower. She asked me for 70.... :confused:

I didn't complain obviously but I've had other instances where the anomaly was not in my favor which was quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Regarding your rights in this situation:

The law requires all items to be priced, either individually or on the shelf edge. However, contrary to popular belief, the shop does not 'have to' sell you the item at the lower price if an incorrect sticker or SEL (self edge label) is accidentally applied. The price shown is an 'invitation to treat' in legal parlance. Basically the shopkeeper is inviting you to offer that amount of money; he doesn't have to accept it! There is no contract for sale entered into until an amount of money has been offered by one party and accepted by the other.

So, what of your rights in the situation of an incorrect price sticker or SEL?

A store that uses barcode scaning at point of sale still has to display prices on stickers or SELs. In addition, the store must have a written policy about what happens in cases where the price on the sticker/SEL differs from that on the till when the item is scanned. That's it. The written policy may say 'A manager will check which is supposed to be the correct price' or 'The customer may purchase the item at the lower price'* or even in some cases 'If the prices don't agree, it's free'**

Anyway, my point is: don't listen to anyone who says "Oh, the shop has to sell it to you at the lower price." They don't know their as5e from their elbow.

* This one would be rare; too much chance of people swapping labels from one product to another and ripping the shop off.
    ** This one will only be found in places like Tesco that are highly organised; they're fairly sure that it'll never happen, and on the very odd occasion when it does, they get great PR out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Cool, I think the point I'm trying to get across is it's the only store where I feel vigilant about pricing every time I walk in the door.
    It would interesting to know how much profit they make a year on "accidently" pricing items downwards.
    Also, that's another thing I've noticed as well... the sometimes non-existance of prices for items!! they're usually a big no-no!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I've been to both Drogheda & dundalk stores and the prices listed are sometimes non existent .
    I was looking at wooden fencing in Drogheda and nobody knew how much it was .
    And I bought a BBQ in dundalk it was listed as 60€ and at the till it was 49€ .

Staff are very nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's the lack of prices full stop rather than price errors that annoy me. I worked in retail for years and while I appreciate the scale of the range that woodies stock - it really is one thing that annoys and will turn customers away.

They do seem to have printed stickers rather than regular pricing guns which may be part of the problem. It's a good system for returns, as it should be proof enough that the tin of dulux paint for example was in fact purchased in Woodies rather than Homebase. But from my experience, unless there is a dedicated team of staff for printing and pricing of stickers and SELS (such as in large supermarkets) then it's always going to be prone to error and/or lack of any price at all. A simple price gun is quick, effective and gets the message across to the customer.:)

*But of course there's a team of buyers/stock analysts/merchandisers sitting in the woodies head office ivory tower that probably wouldn't agree with using something as simple as a pricing gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

The one in dundalk used to have barcode scanners scattered about the store so u could cheak yourself the price of unmarked items .
    But I think there gone now .

Advertisement