Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Installer wont fix damage despite me offering to pay for his damage!

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I had a cable guy out to install a free to air system

Problem

the guy Cut a SKY cable he was certainly not told to do while connecting a satellite free to air cable. I noticed 2 minutes after he left rang him but he wouldnt come back
    I would attempt it myself but the satellite is high up :(

So 3 weeks on he has been cancelling appointments to re-connect the sky wire. then this morning I called him and he hung up. Then sent me a snappy text saying I got the job done cheap and he had undercharged me," I should have charged you double on that made a big mistake on your quote i wont be back!"

Gas thing is I even offered him money to repair the sky cable he cut (55 euro would take him 10 mins if even).
    TBH i dont want him near the house again but im wondering is it possible to bring him to the small claims court. My main concern is this guy screwing someone else over:mad:
    I have his website and phone number but no landline or no address for him. Allthough he seems to have a legit website but no contact details apart from a mobile number. He also wont give me an invoice or receipt :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think your title sums it up.
    you have no receipt and therefore no proof the job was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 miss.aok

I dont think electricans would know much about tv and that.they fix lights etc.. you should of got a cable guy- which is a great film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Just rang him again from another number he is meeting me tommorow night with an invoice. The text saying i was reporting him to revenue for not furnishing an invoice seemed to hit a nerve !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

miss.aok wrote: »
    I dont think electricans would know much about tv and that.they fix lights etc.. you should of got a cable guy- which is a great film :)

A braindead monkey would probably know the effect of cutting a satellite cable, and how to repair it afterwards.:P

He says he is registered and insured, He should have a Vat number, should he also have to give me his work/house address of where company is registered too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Im usually very reluctant to do business with anyone who doesn't provide a landline number. They could easily change their sim and be untracable

I think your title sums it up.
    you have no receipt and therefore no proof the job was done.

I called him he assures me a receipt will be dropped into me by him within 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

as a matter of interest how much did he charge for the install and did it include the box? did you ask if he was a member of any body recognised by Saorview such as the ISAA? consumer beware

as a matter of interest how much did he charge for the install and did it include the box? did you ask if he was a member of any body recognised by Saorview such as the ISAA? consumer beware

Hes on the ISAA web site but it says this beside his name. "ISAA Membership No. TBA"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

ronan45 wrote: »
    Hes on the ISAA web site but it says this beside his name. "ISAA Membership No. TBA"

I'd report him to the ISAA and see if they're more than just a talking shop/cartel.

• Advertisement

I'd report him to the ISAA and see if they're more than just a talking shop/cartel.

Rang the landline number on the ISAA web site.... Sounded like it got diverted to a mobile and some guy just said "Hello...."
    I then Just hung up lol. Sounds like its just some bloke and not an office as i had thought.
    It was only a small amount, ill leave him be and have learned a lesson. Every time I leave a tradesman to do a house job if im not there despite crystal clear instructions 9/10 its never done to how i wanted it. In future I am taking time off work when getting anything done and i will bloody well hover over them like a bad smell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

have you any idea of the low rent cowboys sky use to install.

make a formal complaint to sky with bill for fixing the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    have you any idea of the low rent cowboys sky use to install.

make a formal complaint to sky with bill for fixing the problem

but this was not a sky installer. it was an freelancer cuttung the sky cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Rang the landline number on the ISAA web site.... Sounded like it got diverted to a mobile and some guy just said "Hello...."
    I then Just hung up lol. Sounds like its just some bloke and not an office as i had thought.
    As far as I'm aware, the head of the ISAA is an installer so is quite likely to be out and about alot. You could drop them an email through the website or he even has an account on boards here (username:ISAA).
    It was only a small amount, ill leave him be and have learned a lesson. Every time I leave a tradesman to do a house job if im not there despite crystal clear instructions 9/10 its never done to how i wanted it. In future I am taking time off work when getting anything done and i will bloody well hover over them like a bad smell
    It's because people do not follow up these gripes and complaints properly that cowboys continue to trade. Follow up with the ISAA, and at least something might be done. Give up now, and he'll move on to his next unsuspecting customer, just like he did with you.

He should be the one to learn a lesson - not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Ronan45,

I think you are the customer which I spoke to last Friday afternoon.
    We have been in touch with the installer, and as discussed with yourself I'm waiting for some more information from you.

You have my phone number and now you can also Pm direct, so we can resolve this issue ASAP.
    Don't forget we did offer to fix your problem direct, but you said you had arranged for someone else.

give me a buzz.

Regards,

Gerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

I have a similar issue.

I got a guy in Saturday to set up a saorview aerial. Now it's not working - picture frezzing etc. Unwatchable. He was here for 1 hour, 15 mins and charged €160 cash.

Rang him this morning, and he told me he couldn't come back until next Tuesday at the earliest. I told him I couldn't do with TV for a whole week, but he was having none of it. I understand he's busy with Saorview etc., but he's only living 5 miles away. I didn't like his attitude on the phone tbh. I rang back a few times more, but there's no answer.

I googled his name to see if he is registered, but nothing came up. He also owns a small electrical repair shop. Maybe I should use the 'invoice' tax revenue tactic if he doesn't play ball?

Is an TV installer legally obliged to give a VAT receipt, or do you have to request it?

Is an TV installer legally obliged to give a VAT receipt, or do you have to request it?

AFAIK No he just needs to give you a receipt. If you employed him as a company then he HAS to give you a vat receipt. But as a private individula on a private job he does not have to furnish a full vat receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I have a similar issue.

I got a guy in Saturday to set up a saorview aerial. Now it's not working - picture frezzing etc. Unwatchable. He was here for 1 hour, 15 mins and charged €160 cash.

Rang him this morning, and he told me he couldn't come back until next Tuesday at the earliest. I told him I couldn't do with TV for a whole week, but he was having none of it. I understand he's busy with Saorview etc., but he's only living 5 miles away. I didn't like his attitude on the phone tbh. I rang back a few times more, but there's no answer.

I googled his name to see if he is registered, but nothing came up. He also owns a small electrical repair shop. Maybe I should use the 'invoice' tax revenue tactic if he doesn't play ball?

Why don't you hide your number or call using someone else phone and ask him when can he install a new system, that way you see if he's really busy or just delaying yours because he already got paid.

AFAIK No he just needs to give you a receipt. If you employed him as a company then he HAS to give you a vat receipt. But as a private individula on a private job he does not have to furnish a full vat receipt

Thanks. Maybe he was legally obliged to give me a receipt then. It's not like I'm going to report him, but need something to make him play ball. His attitude stinks. Even if he said he would call in a day or two, or the weekend even, but in a week at the earliest isn't on. He's only 5 mins drive.
    nava wrote: »
    Why don't you hide your number or call using someone else phone and ask him when can he install a new system, that way you see if he's really busy or just delaying yours because he already got paid.

I thought of that, but when I phoned him first day I was waiting 4 days for him to come. He really is busy, but maybe he should be finishing his unfinished jobs rather than starting new ones.

You're right, he is definitely delaying mine, as he is already paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Also a person or company is only obliged to register for VAT when they sell more than €37,500 in services or €75,000 in goods in a year.

Advertisement