Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League - Young Boys v Liverpool, Thursday

• 18-09-2012 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

18.00 HRS

STADE DE SUISSE Wankdorf (listen just stop it!) Bern, Switzerland

the Europa League is of course the new Champions League, the football was arguably more exciting and the cup holders thrashed Chelsea in the Super Cup which is surely all the proof one needs ;)

The host side who qualified by finishing 3rd last season are 8 games into the domestic season in fifth place, one of their strikers is curiously enough Uruguayan born Matias Vitkieviez who is a Swizz national, they also boast an Argentine and a Venezuelan in attack. They have Frey not Frei in the middle which is something for Liverpool to be happy about given the likely modest nature of the team that Brendan Rodgers will have sent over.

Liverpools start has been typically rocky with better play than the results suggest while acclimatising to a new way of doing things with a pretty thin squad. The manager has not once suggested he is going to take the Europa League terribly seriously and speaking personally I think he is right. The best use of the competition is to develop the younger part of the squad as winning it after 17 games (from now) is genuinely beyond the compass of the club this season.

Rodgers has said he will play German youth international Samed Yesil on Thursday while the likes of Suso, Robinson, Pacheco, Morgan will very probably be in the match day 18 though whether they start is another matter. Assaidi, Downing, Cole, Henderson, Coates are certainly more likely to feature from the whistle. Raheem Sterling who would have been considered a certainty is probably going to be rested for the Manchester Utd game!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

EDIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thread title amended to clear it up a little, please insert all jokes after wards, thanks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is Rodgers saying that Yesil will start, or will he be coming off the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Our young boys to beat their young boys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I quite fancy "Liverpool Thursday" to beat "Europa League Young Boys":pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The squad that went over

Jones, Gulasci, Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Wisdom, Enrique, Robinson, Coady, Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey, Suso, Pacheco, Assaidi, Downing, Borini, Yesil, Morgan

Apparently Borini is simply there for training, which seems a bit needless given the number of senior players who stayed behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Very happy with that squad. First team getting a rest in before the weekend, with young players getting a chance and the likes of Henderson and Downing getting a chance to make a claim for a starting spot.

Difficult to predict what will happen in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lots of young boys running around in shorts,thats what you will be watching, sitting there with a bigggg smile of on your face....ya dirty feckers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Lots of young boys running around in shorts,thats what you will be watching, sitting there with a bigggg smile of on your face....ya dirty feckers!!

fintan-stack.jpg

If you say that to me again... I'll put your head through the wall... :D:D

mike65 wrote: »
    The squad that went over

Jones, Gulasci, Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Wisdom, Enrique, Robinson, Coady, Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey, Suso, Pacheco, Assaidi, Downing, Borini, Yesil, Morgan

Apparently Borini is simply there for training, which seems a bit needless given the number of senior players who stayed behind.
    Jones will be starting in goal, Carragher will also be given a start. Rodgers has spoken about Sahin and Assiadi needing games, so they should be in too. Enrique, Henderson and Downing will need to be given a chance to impress, so I suspect they start. By all accounts, Yesil will lead the line for us.

Here is the team I think Rodgers will field.

Jones
    Flanagan-Coates-Carragher-Enrique
    Henderson
    Sahin
    Shelvey
    --Downing----Yesil----Assaidi

I have a feeling Suso will come off the bench to make a competitive debut for us.

• Advertisement

Oh, as for a result prediction, I will go for 1-1. It's going to be really tough for us to go to Switzerland with such a young experimental team. I don't think we'll get beat, but a win is really asking a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have a feeling we may see Morgan instead of Yesil, but the rest of the team is probably spot on.

Maybe I would give Gulasci a go in goals, apparently he has been good as of late. But I suppose Jones is the senior of the two an the no.2 goalkeeper so it will probably be him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Leiva wrote: »
    Our young boys to beat their young boys .
    I quite fancy "Liverpool Thursday" to beat "Europa League Young Boys":pac:

13/8 on Paddy Power's. Put your money where your mouth is :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Morzadec wrote: »
    I have a feeling we may see Morgan instead of Yesil, but the rest of the team is probably spot on.

Maybe I would give Gulasci a go in goals, apparently he has been good as of late. But I suppose Jones is the senior of the two an the no.2 goalkeeper so it will probably be him

Yeah, I'll be quite surprised tonight if Yesil got the nod over Morgan tonight. Would rather see the former start myself.

The manager has stated Yesil will play, so he and Morgan are definitely in competition for a preferred berth unless he goes 4-4-2 which is unlikely to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

-Ade- wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be quite surprised tonight if Yesil got the nod over Morgan tonight. Would rather see the former start myself.

I would rather borini started centrally myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does anyone know what channel it will be on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Vicxas wrote: »
    Does anyone know what channel it will be on?

One of the ITV's has it anyway , I am not sure about anywhere else . I know if you have a sky box you can tune it in to watch it .

ITV4 6 pm.

if you need to add it to your sat box

10.758 V 22000 5/6

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I would rather borini started centrally myself

Just checked the squad there. Didn't think he had traveled. Would agree with you on the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

ITV4 6 pm.

if you need to add it to your sat box

10.758 V 22000 5/6

Tis also on 3e if you can bare the commentary and analysis.

Pro-tip while watching football on 3e/tv3, put the mute button on.

Also, what time will the team sheet be out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The following team seems to be doing the rounds among LFC messageboards:

Jones

Wisdom - Coates - Carragher - Robinson

Henderson - Sahin - Suso

Downing - Yesil - Assaidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Tis also on 3e if you can bare the commentary and analysis.

As long as kirsteen o'sullivan is on 3e it will make it barable !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The following team seems to be doing the rounds among LFC messageboards:

Jones

Wisdom - Coates - Carragher - Robinson

Henderson - Sahin - Suso

Downing - Yesil - Assaidi

I would LOVE that team. Hard on Dani to not start, but would be a huge boost for Wiwdom, Robinson, Suso, Assaidi and Yesil. Please let it be true.

This is a great opportunity for these players to shine and push for the first team. Hope Yesil scores with a Suso assist. Has Suso signed a new contract yet?

Based on the "bibs" test, the following all look like starting -

Wisdom
    Wilson
    Enrique
    Sahin
    Coady
    Hendo
    Yesil
    Borini
    Morgan
    Downing

Not Suso, Assaidi or Carra. So I think the bibs test is a FAIL this week. I can't see Wilson starting, and there are 7 midfield or forward players there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To get out of the group, a win is needed here. Anything other than that would be extremely disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I think it was opr saying 'bib theory' wasn't reliable for the EL.

Very unlikely to be that team imo, unless Wisdom or Enrique play RB. I think it'd be madness to not start Assaidi and Pacheco (And Borini if he's there).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

1188264-pedobear_super.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd love to see Yesil and Assaidi starting. I haven't seen them yet and to give them that sort of vote of confidence would hopefully send them into the match on a bit of a high. As it's the first group game and it's an away match, I don't think it would be the worst loss in the world so it's worth a bit of a gamble.

G.K. wrote: »
    Very unlikely to be that team imo, unless Wisdom or Enrique play RB. I think it'd be madness to not start Assaidi and Pacheco (And Borini if he's there).

Well, Wisdom has played RB in pre-season, and without Kelly and Johnson, he would be the best fit. Also, I think it would be odd to bring Enrique, given he hasn't started a league game yet, and not to start him. Two inexperienced FBs would be risky.

I think Assaidi would be a good fit for tonight, he can get running at defenders of a lower calibre than in the PL, and I guess the same can be said for Dani. But I think Downing needs to play, given the general lack of experience. So that leaves one attacking spot for Morgan, Borini or Yesil. Rodgers said Yesil would play, not that he'd start. I think a start for Borini as the central striker would be most beneficial.

So, for me -

Jones
    --Wisdom--Carra--Coates--Enrique--
    Henderson
    Sahin

Suso
    ----Downing
    Assaidi

Borini

I'll be disappointed if most of the team is able to drink legally in the United States as I'd really like to see as many young players squeezed in as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Outside an unlikely top 4 finish I guess this should be Liverpools main competition for the season with the FA & league cup 3 & 4th choice. Would expect a strong team if Rodgers is serious about competing to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'll be disappointed if most of the team is able to drink legally in the United States as I'd really like to see as many young players squeezed in as possible.

I'm sure **** Müller makes sure they stay true to their name.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Outside an unlikely top 4 finish I guess this should be Liverpools main competition for the season with the FA & league cup 3 & 4th choice. Would expect a strong team if Rodgers is serious about competing to win.

It'll be used to try/test new and young fringe players, its easy to see he's doing that tonight. The home games might be a different story though.

• Advertisement

Team named -

Jones
    --Wisdom--Carra--Coates--Enrique--
    Henderson
    Sahin

Suso
    ----Downing
    Assaidi

Pacheco

Brilliant for Wisdom, Suso, Assaidi and Pacheco. A little surprised that there is no out-and-out striker, so I am assuming Dani in the middle?

Subs: Gulacsi, Sterling, Borini, Shelvey, Yesil, Robinson, Wisdom.

(Of those, I'd expect to see Borini, Yesil and maybe Shelvey...)

Confirmed #LFC team: Jones, Enrique, Coates, Carragher, Wisdom, Henderson, Sahin, Suso, Downing, Assaidi, Pacheco

Subs: Gulacsi, Sterling, Borini, Shevley, Yesil, Robinson, Wilson.

I really hope the front 6 click. I can see Suso trying to pick out Dani a lot, that's natural, and Sahin will try and get on the ball a lot. Very positive about that side.

Is flanno injured or has wisdom just leap frogged him in the pecking order? Looking forward to seeing this team play now.

Have Sahin at 8-1 anytime scorer too

I got 8/11 starters, not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's a rather interesting lineup.

Bit annoying there's no Yesil. Probably isn't quite ready yet.

I got 8/11 starters, not bad.

I got 10.

But it's the 3 points that count... :D

Was feeling a bit "Meh" about this game but having seen the team I`m pretty interested now.

Not looking forward to the commentary on 3e tho...might try ITV for a while but they`re as bad.

Lets hammer these Young Boys.
    /child abuse

The starting eleven have only scored 11 goals for Liverpool between them. Carragher scored 5 of them, Downing scored 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Was feeling a bit "Meh" about this game but having seen the team I`m pretty interested now.

Not looking forward to the commentary on 3e tho...might try ITV for a while but they`re as bad.

Lets hammer these Young Boys.
    /child abuse

ITV4 all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The starting eleven have only scored 11 goals for Liverpool between them. Carragher scored 5 of them, Downing scored 3.

If you take Carragher's 7 own goals into account then it grows to 18 goals or shrinks to 4 goals.:)

All own goals by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Happy enough with that team I must say. Hope they play well and give some food for thought to BR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Looking forward to Sahin the most, great words he had in the press conference

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

"Thursday night, ITV4" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. I bet some variation of it will be heard on Sunday anyhow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement