Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League - Young Boys v Liverpool, Thursday

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

5starpool wrote: »
    Henderson my man of the match today. First time I've said that probably.

We had two MOM out there tonight. Henderson for us and Jose Enrique for Young Boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Gwan the Jonjo! Great to see what confidence and consistent games can do for a player. His second was gerrard-esque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Shocking performance from pool and some of thoses players are pushing for first team spots, god help Liverpool if they have injuries or they'll be screwed, well more screwed.

That said Shevley has been playing some impressive football this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Enrique is soooooooooooo slow from a standing start.

Good game all round though, its a bit much when Shelvey has to come on and "do a Gerrard" though! :pac:

If at first you dont succeed ey Orange. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Shocking performance from pool and some of thoses players are pushing for first team spots, god help Liverpool if they have injuries or they'll be screwed, well more screwed.

That said Shevley has been playing some impressive football this season.

Scored 5 away from home with second team and you call it a shocking performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Henderson my man of the match today. First time I've said that probably.

+1 Yeah he was excellent imo.

Jones was solid in goals as well. Not much he could do about the 3 goals. Thought he was meant to be awful? Doesn't look bad to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

a few points

1. both henderson and sahin are far better options in the middle three for lfc at the moment than gerrard - does rodgers have the balls to either drop stevie or play him on the right of the attacking three?

2. henderson was excellent tonight, in the centre of midfield he is a very good player - i can't believe a) why some of our fans don't see his potential b) why he hasn't played more under rodgers and c) if we really offered him in a straight swap for dempsey then we are nuts

3. borini did well when he came on, good movement which is something that pacheco lacked, then again pacheco isn't really a central striker, he is better as a deep player but well done to borini who has had some stick already but isn't as bad as some have made him out to be

4. suso looks really good and sahin looks very composed too, i think a sahin -lucas combination would dovetail perfectly

5. enrique and carra look dodgy, we are short at left-back, jones was surprisingly reliable though, certainly didn't drop any clangers as reina has been doing in a regular basis for the last year or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The positive about Enrique's performance tonight is at least hopefully Rodgers is finding out how bad he is in a game like this rather than learning on Sunday.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

BSC's third goal reminded me of Crespo's second in the 05 CL final. Yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

opr wrote: »
    The positive about Enrique's performance tonight is at least hopefully Rodgers is finding out how bad he is in a game like this rather than learning on Sunday.

Opr

Glen or Downing on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Top class coverage from 3e. First Macari comes out with "Boroni" and now Brian Kerr comes out with "Barooney".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'd like to see Sahin impose himself more. Excellent in possession but doesn't have quite the influence on a game that I'd like just yet.

I'd actually go with Robinson and leave Glen on his normal side. I think though it will end up with Glen and Kelly on the other side. Downing could be a real asset in that position against weaker teams but wouldn't like to throw him against United.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I'd like to see Sahin impose himself more. Excellent in possession but doesn't have quite the influence on a game that I'd like just yet.
    Consistent games will sort that out. Hasn't really played much last year. You could see the influence he'll bring to the team from his last 20

Am I the only one watching it on ITV4? Jim Beglin is a tit, but nowhere near the same league as Lou bloody Macari.

w00t Jonjo again.

Yeah I was watching it on ITV4 and the commentary was surprisingly quite good. They seemed to have at least a cursory knowledge of all the youngsters so you could tell they had done a bit of homework on the game.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd actually go with Robinson and leave Glen on his normal side. I think though it will end up with Glen and Kelly on the other side. Downing could be a real asset in that position against weaker teams but wouldn't like to throw him against United.

Opr

I think United are too strong on the flanks to risk Robinson. Johnson and Sterling are a nice combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If at first you dont succeed ey Orange. :pac:
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Scored 5 away from home with second team and you call it a shocking performance?

Great result just poor performance - some of the players pushing for first team spots were either poor or average except johnJo. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Wouldn't like to risk Robinson against Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Missed the Shelvey goals. Had to fix a blocked bog. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeah I was watching it on ITV4 and the commentary was surprisingly quite good. They seemed to have at least a cursory knowledge of all the youngsters so you could tell they had done a bit of homework on the game.

Opr

Always going to be a million times better than 3e anyhow. TV3 or themselves should never be let near a sports event.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think United are too strong on the flanks to risk Robinson. Johnson and Sterling are a nice combo

Agreed. Johnson is more solid defensively on the left side and he'd be up against Valencia who has give us a torrid time in the past, especially last season when he owned Enrique all game at Anfield. That was the game from which Enrique has progressively gotten worse since.

Sterling tracks back himself as he has shown so far this season and does a decent job. So I'd go for them two for Sunday.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Consistent games will sort that out. Hasn't really played much last year. You could see the influence he'll bring to the team from his last 20

Oh I expect as much. Hence the "just yet". It will be interesting to see how the season pans out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oscorp wrote: »
    Top class coverage from 3e. First Macari comes out with "Boroni" and now Brian Kerr comes out with "Barooney".

Carzola's another one. Those gob****es have one ****ing job to do.:rolleyes:

Gbear wrote: »
    Carzola's another one. Those gob****es have one ****ing job to do.:rolleyes:

"Pelanty" is the one that kills me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Didn't they also pronounce Kuyt as 'Kweet'? In case there wasn't already enough confusion about how to pronounce it, they decided to make up another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Great result just poor performance - some of the players pushing for first team spots were either poor or average except johnJo. Just my opinion.

You weren't impressed by Henderson? Set up two goals, one with a lovely 1st time touch. Some nice work in possession and interceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Good showings from Jones (almost saved the first, no chance on the others), Wisdom, Henderson, Shelvey and Borini. So-so from Sahin, whereas Assaidi, Suso and Pacheco didn't impose themselves quite enough. Carra and Enrique were poor, and although Coates got a goal, he got himself in a tangle on two of the goals.

But it's all about the Shelvey factor. He can change a game from the bench in the same way that Gerrard has done for so many years. He's very close to a must-starter now. He's get 50 appearances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Glad to see, Nuri Sahin settling into the team even a bit more. He needed his time, when he played for Borussia Dortmundas well, let's say a month or so with regular starts, and in the end, he turned out to be a key player :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously what has happened to Enrique?

Great for Newcastle, good for Pool when he signed but last 8 -10 months he has just lost it and is a liability.

The bloke must think he's Bjorne-Tore Kvarme!

Dickerty wrote: »
    Good showings from Jones (almost saved the first, no chance on the others), Wisdom, Henderson, Shelvey and Borini. So-so from Sahin, whereas Assaidi, Suso and Pacheco didn't impose themselves quite enough. Carra and Enrique were poor, and although Coates got a goal, he got himself in a tangle on two of the goals.

But it's all about the Shelvey factor. He can change a game from the bench in the same way that Gerrard has done for so many years. He's very close to a must-starter now. He's get 50 appearances this season.

I think Jones was pretty poor. Seemed very slow to the second goal and was terrible for the third goal. Also Shelvey problem is that he tends to go missing during 90 minutes that means he's a risk when he starters. Hopefully Sahin won't be long getting up to match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was impressed by Henderson in the middle, im a fan of his, no hiding it from previous posts but i do think he put in a good shift tonight and will give Rodgers something to think about.

Suso was okay, i think when he took on players he looked very good, his control is good and id like to see him used more in the EL with a view to using him in league games as a sub depending on how he gets on.

Wisdom is a tank, hopefully he'll continue to develop, don't know if it was down to having more space on the flank but he seemed very comfortable in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't believe that people were slating Henderson in this thread. For me, he was easily one of our three best players tonight. Unlike many of the other young lads, he always showed for the ball and showed a lot of energy closing down, tackling and winning the ball. Out of Dalgleish's CHAD signings, he is the only one who I think has a future at the club.

Enrique had a nightmare, but I think that has been covered enough already. What worried me more was Carragher to be honest. He showed a dangerous lack of pace and positionally he was all over the place for us. Really disappointing because a guy of his calibre should be commanding the defence.

Out of the young lads, Wisdom was the star, getting up well to score from a header, but also very eager to break forward from the back. Thought Suso had a decent enough game, but reckon it's far too early for him to be playing in the Premier League. Assaidi wasn't great, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt as this was his first game and he hasn't had a pre-season. Pacheco looked lost and only served to confirm my belief that he won't make it at this club.

Shelvey was the man though, I am really starting to love these surging runs that he makes from midfield. Defenders seem to hate these runs and he seems to just tremendous power to break through defences and create chances.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

First EL match I've enjoyed in a long time.

Advertisement