Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Timer

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I just got my first kit having done a lot of reading online etc I went for the Coopers DIY Beer Kit with the Coopers Canadian Blonde. While everything seemed very straight forward on the instructions and online instructions I don't think I read the OG right. It read at 1.036 however plain water was only reading 0.994 rather than the 1.000 that I was expecting - Is there something simple that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers you guys have

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is there something simple that I'm doing wrong?
    Hydrometers are only accurate at 20C. To measure liquid at other temperatures, you need to calibrate the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

Thanks BeerNut,

That makes more sense although I didn't take note of the temperature when I took the OG yesterday so I'll just have to take a rough guess and chaulk it down as a lesson learnt for the next batch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I got that coopers kit myself when starting and the hydrometer that come with it was faulty. Having done some research online it's a known issue so I contacted the store I bought from and they sent me out a proper working replacement...

Thanks Baz,

Am I right in assuming that if it is working right that at 20C it should read water as 1.000 with no calibration required?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I believe so but when I put mine into the trial jar of water it slowly sank to the bottom. Now I'm no big city detective but I knew something was up then...

• Advertisement

Thanks Sherlock!

I'm thinking mine is off cause it seems to measure water at 0.994 - 0.995 so I'll take your first suggestion and get it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

its a common thing with those coopers hydrometers that they are off by 0.005
    the one i got with the coopers kit was off by about the same amount. got a new one and it sat at 1.000 in water

as long as you take the og and fg readings with the same hydrometer the % result will still be correct

Cheers Baneblade that makes sense

Advertisement