Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming swiftly on from the Dublin Half 2012..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Thank you!
    I do sometimes feel inferior to runners who are on NOVICE or BEGINNER forums and are running 8 minute miles! Im happy to plod along and FINISH this marathon injury free (fingers crossed) ideally around the 5 hour mark. Im aware of my limitations and as Hal says 'dont set the bar so high failure becomes inevitable'
    Thanks PM, this is why you are a great mentor :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Zooming, you make a great point and it doesn't end there!

Once you hit 8m miles it drives us on, but we still feel inferior to the runners doing 7 min miles, once you hit that, then the 6 min milers make you feel inferior......it drives us on to improve, there's no elitism or anything here, it's just in our own heads.

You've made great progress since you started posting, by October, you'll be a different person. By the evening of 28th Oct, you'll have joined an exclusive club of people who have completed a marathon. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Zooming, you make a great point and it doesn't end there!

Once you hit 8m miles it drives us on, but we still feel inferior to the runners doing 7 min miles, once you hit that, then the 6 min milers make you feel inferior......it drives us on to improve, there's no elitism or anything here, it's just in our own heads.

You've made great progress since you started posting, by October, you'll be a different person. By the evening of 28th Oct, you'll have joined an exclusive club of people who have completed a marathon. No doubt about it.

+1 to that. Well said.

I'd also add that when I did my first Marathon Zooming I didn't follow any plan really and still finished. I opted for HHInter1 last year an took 18 mins off previous year. And I missed 3 weeks due to injury. The lesson learned there for me was that the plans work, just pick one that suits you and follow it to best of your ability. We are all here to help you along the way anyway regardless of what transpired over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

zooming wrote: »
    I have just read some of the comments on the now closed DCM 2013 thread, and there seems to be a bit of a dislike for Hal Higdons programme, saying the runs arent long enough! Now Im pooing myself quite frankly, I have invested almost 2 months in this plan and now I feel that some folks think its crap. Im a bit down now, am I not even going to finish this marathon?
    I was feeling really positive before I read that stupid thread, what with the negative comments about PM and the running down of Hals plan I feel like crying quite honestly.

If my post in that thread has contributed to your upset, I'm very sorry. You are doing brilliantly and I love your log. Your enthusiasm is infectious and you'll have no bother with your race as you're so determined.

Thanks for the comments everyone!!!
    I have been enjoying my training so much so far, and I'm delighted with the progress considering 2 years ago I couldn't run to the other side of the road. I know I will never be the fastest runner on earth, but that's not why I'm doing this marathon. It's a sense of achievement and I feel the medal at the end of the race is not only for the race itself but for the long weeks of training and getting up at 4.30am in all kinds of crap weather to RUN.
    To date I have only told a couple of my friends im doing this marathon, once I have done some of the longer runs I'm going to tell everyone else, I guess I was afraid I would fail or not be able for the training.
    I suppose we all have moments of self doubt, now that I'm up to half way almost I feel better about coming out of the closet so to speak!!
    I hope everyone has a great run this weekend, dressed in green I would imagine lol
    PS I met a fox drinking out of a puddle on the middle of the road the other morning, I swear she muttered under her breath 'feckin eejit' as I went past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Hi zooming well done on your progress so far. Just trust your plan at this stage it will get you to the finish line. Every generic training plan is going to have some flaws but it does also depend on what you want to achieve. And don't worry too much about speed or other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

PS I met a fox drinking out of a puddle on the middle of the road the other morning, I swear she muttered under her breath 'feckin eejit' as I went past.

Ha Ha.. your hilarious :D

Your zooming along nicely.. Doubts will always creep in,.. but your doing fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Week 8 report

OMG
    I can't believe I'm 8 weeks in and you guys have stuck with me this far
    Tuesday. 3 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles
    Thursday. 3 miles
    Sunday. 13 miles
    Today was TOUGH, no point denying it, I felt slow and got it hard on the hills. I keep telling myself hills are good, hills are good but at the time they are HARD! My quads were aching and I had to walk a few times but I always got going again, it's getting harder and the progression is tough but I'm enjoying it (once I finish)
    Next week is a step back week then the second half of the 18 week plan kicks in. I'm ready for it though!
    The best part is my most favourite breakfast, quorn sausages, spuddie bread and 2 fried eggs. WINNER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Well done Zooming not long now to go for the race

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Great work on the hills (and in general :)) Zooming, it'll really stand to you. Don't be afraid to slow down a little going up the tougher hills, so that you're not working too hard! Great job, and you're making great progress. :)

• Advertisement

Can I just say this....
    WHERE THE HELL IS SPRING????? :confused:
    This morning I was on the road at 5.15am, in the FREEZING sleet, went into an ice puddle at mile one and was frigged the next 6 miles, plus I was soaked and frozen to the core. :eek:
    My legs were numb for ages after that run, feet like 2 blocks of wet ice.
    Not a happy camper, but on the upside its done! :P
    I had figured that by this stage in my marathon prep that I would have some better weather to run in
    HA!
    :D

Can I just say this....
    WHERE THE HELL IS SPRING????? :confused:
    This morning I was on the road at 5.15am, in the FREEZING sleet, went into an ice puddle at mile one and was frigged the next 6 miles, plus I was soaked and frozen to the core. :eek:
    My legs were numb for ages after that run, feet like 2 blocks of wet ice.
    Not a happy camper, but on the upside its done! :P
    I had figured that by this stage in my marathon prep that I would have some better weather to run in
    HA!
    :D

At least there are longer days, can you not do your runs later in the day?

Hi,
    No not really, I work 9am to 8pm or after Tuesday to Friday and 6am to 1pm Saturdays, TBH Im exhausted after work and would NOT go running, Im a morning person anyway

I have a question for you guys, Im a vegetarian and I think im not really getting enough protein, are there any low fat protein bars you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have a question for you guys, Im a vegetarian and I think im not really getting enough protein, are there any low fat protein bars you would recommend?

Pick up pea protein in your local health shop. Pure protein with none of the crap that's in whey. Just looking at my pack there and it's suitable for vegans. 2 spoons in a fruit smoothie will give you 20g of protein. A nutritionist put me on to it a few weeks back.

Week 9 report

HALF WAY
    where has that time gone??
    Tuesday. 3 miles
    Wednesday. 7 miles
    Thursday. 4 miles
    Sunday. 10 miles
    This weeks runs were HARD, mainly because the weather is so COLD!!! Icy, windy, wet, snow ugh. Please please please let spring come soon. Booked in a massage for next Tuesday after my 15 miles Sunday coming. Looking forward to that!
    I am starting to crap myself.
    NINE WEEKS TO GO.
    Poop

TOUGHEST RUN EVER

7 miles
    5.15am
    A foot and a half of snow
    Disaster. Slooooow, heavy and tough, I felt like I was dragging a tractor tyre round with me the whole way, the snow was very soft and deep and it was a nightmare! Every step I felt I was climbing out of a bloody hole. Ugh. Felt like crap, was tired and disheartened!!!
    WHERE is the sun??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TOUGHEST RUN EVER

7 miles
    5.15am
    Disaster. Slooooow, heavy and tough, I felt like I was dragging a tractor tyre round with me the whole way, the snow was very soft and deep and it was a nightmare! Every step I felt I was climbing out of a bloody hole. Ugh. Felt like crap, was tired and disheartened!!!
    WHERE is the sun??

I think you have a typo, it says 5.15 AM!

Regarding the conditions, sometimes it's best not to run, that said, a session like that will stand to you. Keep it in your locker for mile 23 of the marathon ;)

TOUGHEST RUN EVER

7 miles
    5.15am
    WHERE is the sun??[/QUOTE

It will stand to you when you run you're marathon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I read it as sisam. :-)
    Thought it was a breakfast cereal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fair play for getting that run in at all...and at that hour of the morning!:eek:

Thanks guys!
    Im really too scared not to follow the plan, I have it in my head that if I miss an important run I wont make it round 26.2!
    Obviously if I was ill or something I wouldnt run, but sure I couldnt let a little thing like the WEATHER put me off :D
    Will the men in white coats be here to cart me off soon??
    Running in snow isnt dangerous like ice, its just HARD
    4 miles this morning and a biggie on Sunday 15 :eek:
    Stay tuned for report!

Week 10 report

Tuesday. 3 miles
    Wednesday 7 miles
    Thursday. 4 miles
    Sunday 15 miles

I covered Wednesdays run already!
    Today was my LSR of 15 miles.
    Longest run so far EVER. I started to hurt a bit at mile 12, groin was a bit sore, not bad enough to quit but achy, had to walk a few wee times, but for about 20 seconds then back at it again. I finished in 3 hours and 4 mins, I was hoping to break 3 hours but I had 2 pee stops! Hal says to stop drinking 2 hours before the start gun or you will need a pit stop or 2 but I didn't have that time. I enjoyed it but it was hard going after 13 I have to say. It's all good and a learning curve. Stretched more than usual today and now I'm for a big ate of CHAMP.
    Happy Easter!

THE PANIC IS SETTING IN

53 days to go and Im bricking it.
    Not least of which because im turning into a HYPOCHONDRIAC over any twinge, ache or sniffle
    :eek::eek:

THE PANIC IS SETTING IN

53 days to go and Im bricking it.
    Not least of which because im turning into a HYPOCHONDRIAC over any twinge, ache or sniffle
    :eek::eek:

I read some where that a lot of runners do the same when near a race. I think you are more aware of your body since you start running. I remember before I started running, got out of bed and my legs where really sore I just walked it off, now its going down the stairs easy cause of a bit of pain, its all in the mind.

Cheers!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi Zooming,

I'm a vegetarian too, and while I wasn't really feeling tired or weak or anything I was getting absolutely starving in the afternoons after lunch (I kept raiding the biscuit tin at work.) I was telling my friend about it and she said I wasn't getting enough protein at lunch (I was usually having some brown bread and honey, a yoghurt with a sprinling of muesli and usually a banana, apple & orange (& loads of tea!). She suggested adding an egg, so I'm having a boiled egg every day for lunch, and having my lunchtime banana later in the day & it's really stopped the biscuit cravings.

Unless you're a vegan? You could probably try a quinoa salad or soy yoghurt fortified with protein if you are.

Thanks!
    I will try the extra egg at lunch time, I bought a bottle of liquid oils from health shop to help with my joints and I think drinking 2 teaspoons of oil is harder than 10 miles lol lol lol
    16 miles tomorrow :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Week 11 report

Tuesday. 4 miles
    Wednesday. 8 miles
    Thursday 4 miles
    Sunday 16 miles

I feel like quitting.
    Tough run today, I feel like I'm slowing down and getting worse not improving!! I have a head cold which didn't excuse me from my run, tired achy and from mile 7 today had a pain in my knee which has come out of nowhere!
    I feel like a right YAP today but in all honesty I feel like throwing the dummy out of the pram and sulking in my bedroom!!!
    At this rate it will take me all day to run thus marathon.
    Deflated and low today. Not having a good time
    :-(

Advertisement