Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming swiftly on from the Dublin Half 2012..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

zooming wrote: »
    Week 11 report

Tuesday. 4 miles
    Wednesday. 8 miles
    Thursday 4 miles
    Sunday 16 miles

I feel like quitting.
    Tough run today, I feel like I'm slowing down and getting worse not improving!! I have a head cold which didn't excuse me from my run, tired achy and from mile 7 today had a pain in my knee which has come out of nowhere!
    I feel like a right YAP today but in all honesty I feel like throwing the dummy out of the pram and sulking in my bedroom!!!
    At this rate it will take me all day to run thus marathon.
    Deflated and low today. Not having a good time
    :-(

Fair play to you Zooming don't worry about the time you did 16 miles its more than some people will run in there life time. Get some Lemsip sounds like the flu to me. Chin up you did great enjoy the rest of your day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Week 11 report

I feel like quitting.
    Tough run today, I feel like I'm slowing down and getting worse not improving!! I have a head cold which didn't excuse me from my run, tired achy and from mile 7 today had a pain in my knee which has come out of nowhere!
    I feel like a right YAP today but in all honesty I feel like throwing the dummy out of the pram and sulking in my bedroom!!!

I think we all feel like this at some point in Marathon training. My advice would be to find a race that fits in with you plan (don't worry even if it doesn't ;)) and run it flat out.
    When you see how much you have improved it will make all the training seem worth it and give you motivation to keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Week 11 report

Tuesday. 4 miles
    Wednesday. 8 miles
    Thursday 4 miles
    Sunday 16 miles

I feel like quitting.

Welcome to the wonderful world of running and the number 1 reason for being on boards.
    Peaks and throughs are part of running, look at a lot of people's logs, they all have bad days. These days are followed by other bad days, but also by good runs.
    16 mile runs are fantastic but tough, especially if your sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Feeling a bit more positive today, I think I have a touch of ITB trouble, I'm working on it with my foam roller and will get to osteopath this week also. This week coming is a step back week, I'm doing 4, 8, 5 and 12
    I hope I feel better!
    I'm y
    Thinking 5 hours might be too ambitious!!!

Feeling a bit more positive today, I think I have a touch of ITB trouble, I'm working on it with my foam roller and will get to osteopath this week also. This week coming is a step back week, I'm doing 4, 8, 5 and 12
    I hope I feel better!
    I'm y

How long did it take to do the 16 miles?
    A race is a lot different from training you might surprise yourself on race day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I hope I feel better!
    I'm y

Also remember you have done loads of training so body will be tired.

If you do run a race and it doesn't go toplan before the marathon, don't worry about it too much, the same applies if it goes better than plan, don't change your marathon target at this stage by much.

Also remember on the day you be fresher!!

16 miles 3 hours 30.., SLOW!
    Had to walk a few times, to blow my nose, stretch groin and rub my knee. Disaster!

16 miles 3 hours 30.., SLOW!
    Had to walk a few times, to blow my nose, stretch groin and rub my knee. Disaster!

A disaster would be quitting turning around and walking home but you didn't do that you kept going keep it up Zooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Zooming- I've no words of wisdom but I hope these bad days make the good days even sweeter for you. You've come really far and should be very proud- go you!

Thanks for all your words of encouragement!
    A wee mid week progress report.
    After Tuesdays run I had that pain in the side of my knee again, honestly it felt like someone stabbed me with a red hot poker after mile 2, I was in a bit of a panic TBH. :eek::eek::eek:
    Anyway I decided to do all I could to help the situation, I massaged the hell out of that IT band yesterday, boy it was SORE, :( I gave it hell. When I got home last night from work I did a few minutes on the foam roller but I was sore from the deep massage, I then applied an ice bag to the ITB and before bed stuck on some Voltarol. Also my new orthotics came yesterday so I put them in this morning, I think my old ones were worn which didnt help.
    This morning I set out tentatively to do 8 miles as per my plan, I know that running downhill irritates the ITB as does running at the side of country roads, so I stuck to the middle and gingerly ran down the hills, I was really slow today but I wanted to see if I would have any pain. I had a small amount of tenderness towards the end but nothing like the previous runs. Im cautiously optimistic, but from here on in I need to be working that ITB and not get complacent. The other half suggested that I treat myself to a pair of SKINS :) leggings so I ordered them yesterday, I have not bought any toys in ages so why not, anything that will give me a boost mentally or physically is welcome!! Its impossible to find a flat route where I live so I will just have to slowly take the hills down, I think thats what happened on Sunday, I had a mile long descent and it was after that my knee was sore.
    Sorry to yap on but some of you might be suffering with IT band issues also.
    With 46 days to go I dont want anything to feck this up for me, Im going to get across that line!!
    :D

• Advertisement

FATIGUE!!
    Im bloody wrecked, this marathon training really is a MARATHON to get to the start!
    Its the constant early mornings, runs getting longer and not having that much recovery time, Im really hoping that on race day I will have fresh legs, TBH I was so discouraged this week I thought about pulling out, I seem to be getting slower not faster and its frustrating.
    This is my 'step back' week and Im still tired!!! I am to do 12 today, and the training then goes into the 3 peak weeks of 18, 14 and 20 miles for my LSR, then its into the taper. Prepare for 3 yapping weeks!
    Im away to London in the morning for 2 nights hence my Sunday run today, so I wont be running Sunday or Monday but I have to do a run in central London on Tuesday :eek: if you never hear from me again its because I got lost in the wave of mourners at Thatchers wake :rolleyes:
    The dummy was spat out of the pram this week, heres hoping the next week will be better
    Anyone else in the same boat?

FATIGUE!!
    Im bloody wrecked, this marathon training really is a MARATHON to get to the start!
    Its the constant early mornings, runs getting longer and not having that much recovery time, Im really hoping that on race day I will have fresh legs, TBH I was so discouraged this week I thought about pulling out, I seem to be getting slower not faster and its frustrating.
    This is my 'step back' week and Im still tired!!! I am to do 12 today, and the training then goes into the 3 peak weeks of 18, 14 and 20 miles for my LSR, then its into the taper. Prepare for 3 yapping weeks!
    Im away to London in the morning for 2 nights hence my Sunday run today, so I wont be running Sunday or Monday but I have to do a run in central London on Tuesday :eek: if you never hear from me again its because I got lost in the wave of mourners at Thatchers wake :rolleyes:
    The dummy was spat out of the pram this week, heres hoping the next week will be better
    Anyone else in the same boat?

At times when your run does not go to plan its too easy to question yourself " Am I fit enough " or "will I reach my goal" my two favourites:(

The hard part is that you do it all again put you're self in that position on your're next run. I don't think you are a quitter what you think you lack in speed you more than make up in enthusiasm which will get you too the finish line.

Week 12 report

Tuesday. 4 miles
    Wednesday 8 miles
    Thursday. 5 miles
    Saturday. 12 miles

I have already yapped and moaned midweek about my progress, yesterday's run wasn't bad. Well not as bad as last weeks! 12 miles 2 hours 28. Not fast but km happy enough as long as I don't get slower!!! Dire rain and wind the whole way. Off to London this morning won't that be interesting for next weeks report

An amazing 9 miles (actually 9.5 cos I got a bit lost...) yesterday in central London. Went out at 5.40am and not too many about, I took in the Mall, Buckhibham Palace, Marble Arch, Horseguards Parade, Whitehall, Downing St, Big Ben, trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Constitution Way, Park Lane, St James Park and Hyde Park. It was amazing! I had the whole place to myself for the first hour apart from armed police all over the area. Wasn't a fast time as I had to stop at the maps in Hyde Park 10 times to figure out where the hell I was!! Lol
    Back to normality today, with all the walking over the past few days I'm wrecked. Preparing for an 18 miler at the weekend.
    Devastated about the Boston bombing, friggin lunatics out there.

Week 13 report

Tuesday. 9.5 miles
    Wednesday 0
    Thursday 5 miles
    Sunday 18 miles

A bit of a flip flop week. I should have ran 4 miles on Tuesday but I was in London and thought I may as well go the longer run in different scenery! Wednesday TBH I was exhausted after the weekend away. We did LOADS of walking and I was pure wrecked. Work was flat out when I got back and started out with apprehension for today's 18 miler. My legs were so tired and heavy and at mile 9 to 10 I walked most of it up a gradient the whole mile. Felt useless, cried and was sore. Not a great time. Had some cramps and generally felt tired heavy and like a big friggin elephant. I am dreading 20 much less 26.2!!! 18 miles in 4 hours. Work is so busy and I am wrecked all the time between it and training. Ugh.

Week 13 report

Tuesday. 9.5 miles
    Wednesday 0
    Thursday 5 miles
    Sunday 18 miles

A bit of a flip flop week. I should have ran 4 miles on Tuesday but I was in London and thought I may as well go the longer run in different scenery! Wednesday TBH I was exhausted after the weekend away. We did LOADS of walking and I was pure wrecked. Work was flat out when I got back and started out with apprehension for today's 18 miler. My legs were so tired and heavy and at mile 9 to 10 I walked most of it up a gradient the whole mile. Felt useless, cried and was sore. Not a great time. Had some cramps and generally felt tired heavy and like a big friggin elephant. I am dreading 20 much less 26.2!!! 18 miles in 4 hours. Work is so busy and I am wrecked all the time between it and training. Ugh.

well done Zooming at least you got it done and dusted

Just a PS on my earlier post. Think I have a bug, couldn't eat half a bagel before my run and couldn't eat anything all day. Feel weak.
    God!!!!
    What a disaster I am

Still suffering with this bug, spent all day yesterday on sofa and sleeping. Can't eat and am weak. Ugh!!!!
    Had a good nights sleep and got up with the intention of running, did half a mile and had to turn back. Tried to eat some porridge but only managed half a bowl. Heading to work today hope I'm better for my 9 miles tomorrow.

Still suffering with this bug, spent all day yesterday on sofa and sleeping. Can't eat and am weak. Ugh!!!!
    Had a good nights sleep and got up with the intention of running, did half a mile and had to turn back. Tried to eat some porridge but only managed half a bowl. Heading to work today hope I'm better for my 9 miles tomorrow.

Take it easy Zooming just rest until you are over the bug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Hope you feel better soon. You've done an incredible amount of training already so please don't stress if you have to take a couple of days rest. You might come back from it even fresher.

• Advertisement

Came home from work early yesterday and lay on couch, still not eating much. No running today, was due for 9 miles but couldn't do 1 mile! I'm in a state of panic.
    Will my fitness be gone?
    Will I get round 26.2?
    Will it take me 7 hours?
    Will my ITB/knee hold up?
    Will my nerves hold out the next month, and will the OH leave me with the constant YAPPING.
    WHY am I doing this, OMG why did I tell people, otherwise I could quit, but i don't want to quit.. I have 13 weeks of Hals 18 week programme done to the letter and now I'm sick and the bloody wheels have come off the wagon.
    ARGH!!!!
    As for my ITB I'm for Physio on Tuesday and I'm foam rolling and icing it but not much more I can do. I'm in a constant state of dread to be honest.
    I'm a disaster

Came home from work early yesterday and lay on couch, still not eating much. No running today, was due for 9 miles but couldn't do 1 mile! I'm in a state of panic.
    Will my fitness be gone?
    Will I get round 26.2?
    Will it take me 7 hours?
    Will my ITB/knee hold up?
    Will my nerves hold out the next month, and will the OH leave me with the constant YAPPING.
    WHY am I doing this, OMG why did I tell people, otherwise I could quit, but i don't want to quit.. I have 13 weeks of Hals 18 week programme done to the letter and now I'm sick and the bloody wheels have come off the wagon.
    ARGH!!!!
    As for my ITB I'm for Physio on Tuesday and I'm foam rolling and icing it but not much more I can do. I'm in a constant state of dread to be honest.
    I'm a disaster

What have you done with Zooming, where is the enutuastic person gone? You are only human just rest and take it easy you won't loose any fitness belive me.

Im feeling very under the weather, weak with this bug and its all getting on top of me I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Zooming - how are you feeling today ?

Hi PM thanks for asking, Im about 70% better, have not ran since last Sunday but TBH I wouldnt have been able to do it. My plan is to rest up and do 14 Sunday all being well.
    Im disappointed in all honesty, I had done 91 days as per Hals plan to be pipped at week 14!!!
    I have not given up at all, but I wanted to do my plan to the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi PM thanks for asking, Im about 70% better, have not ran since last Sunday but TBH I wouldnt have been able to do it. My plan is to rest up and do 14 Sunday all being well.
    Im disappointed in all honesty, I had done 91 days as per Hals plan to be pipped at week 14!!!
    I have not given up at all, but I wanted to do my plan to the letter

Don't get too hung up on it. The plans are there as guides. Real life events, illnesses etc will always crop up over a 4 month plan. Missing a few midweek runs won't set you back too much if at all. Even at that - this weeks LSR (14 miles) is part of a step back week anyway so again no major harm if you don't manage the 14. Don't try and do too much too soon and carry an illness into another week because of it. Your fitness is built up over many months / years of training and won't suddenly disappear because you miss a week. Lastly be thankful for being ill now rather than the week before or of the marathon itself. :)

Thanks PM, Im just in a constant state of panic over it all TBH.
    Im so slow and Im worried I wont finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi Zooming,

I can totally relate to how you are feeling this week. I think it is totally natural to hit a bit of a funk in the middle of a tough training programme. I think there are a few of us at the moment questioning ourselves and just wishing the marathon were over! First of all, please make sure you are fully recovered from your stomach bug before you go out running again. The last thing you need at the moment is a crappy run. It gets into a catch 22 situation where the more bad runs you have, the harder it is to have a good run. I had a very mild tummy bug at roughly this point in the plan for DCM last year and I went out and did 19 miles regardless. I ended up having a total 'mare of a run and it really knocked the stuffing out of me. The next week I had a 20 mile run and I was totally dreading it, but I decided to do my LSR as part of the Cork to Cobh race. The change of scenery and race atmosphere meant I had a super run and it really revitalised my training. So I would second Meno's advice about finding a race. You could add a few miles warm up/cool down to stretch it out to the required length.

Secondly, don't worry about losing fitness just because you are taking a few days rest, it takes longer than that to lose any kind of fitness! In fact, the few days off might actually work in your favour. A few days off and fresh legs might just give you the boost you need.

Thirdly, don't worry about not feeling ready for the marathon. The purpose of every plan is to have you ready at just the right time, not 4/5/6 weeks out. As someone said to me on my log this week, if you were in peak marathon readiness 6 weeks out, then there's something wrong with the plan!

Another suggestion made to me when you're feeling a bit low about your training is to read back on your log or even the posts you wrote on the DCM 1/2 thread. I think you will find your improvement over the last 8-12 months is staggering. Would you have been able to run 18 miles this time last year, even with walking breaks? I bet not.

As I said on another log yesterday, the point of HH1 is to get you to the start line fit and fresh and most importantly get you across the finish line in one piece. Every person from the DCM novice thread last year that started the race finished it. And most of us were happy with our time and had a great experience. Trust me, it will be all worth it when you cross that finish line!

In the meantime, do try and fit a race in, it breaks up the monotony of running and maybe try and run somewhere new and interesting. I noticed you enjoyed your run in London, I always find I enjoy a run in a new place far more than running the usual routes.

Most importantly, keep the head up! You're doing great!

Aww thanks so much!
    I really appreciate all the advice, as the day progresses Im feeling a bit better.
    Oh and I bought a support strap to help with the ITB issue, I will let you know how i get on, physio on tue!

• Advertisement

Week 14 report

SICK ALL WEEK
    Sunday 14 miles

I started off nice and slow today as I had been so unwell, felt ok, my eating still isn't back to normal which is no harm shift a few pounds lol miles 1 to 5 was great and I did that in a hour, mile 6 a twinge in my knee, of course I had chosen an unfamiliar route which was very hilly. Pain in knee got steadily worse even with my ITB support band which I adjusted every so often to see where it worked best. By mile 11 I was walking and just couldn't run anymore. This is my first injury and its bloody nasty. I walked the rest home feeling surprisingly happy!!!! I'm for Physio on Tuesday, I'm hoping that and painkillers will help me get to 20 next Sunday. Hills are a killer for ITB syndrome and unfortunately that's where I live. In my favour Edinburgh is flat!!

Advertisement