Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming swiftly on from the Dublin Half 2012..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Just a PS on yesterday's run, knee was SORE afterwards!! My other half is now concerned HOW I will get on (and off) the plane after the marathon. LOL
    all jokes aside its bothering me a little, but I'm going to take this time of tapering to continue with my recovery and treatment. Hopefully in 2 weeks the pain will stay away! I've been given the suggestion of rubbing poitin on it and I'm going to try that too. (Maybe the suggestion was to drink it instead....) I'm getting my kit ready and have all laid out on spare bed. Hopefully the dogs don't choose to lie all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

How did you find the gels any tips for them?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    How did you find the gels any tips for them?

I bought the marathon high 5 box and it gives you tips on taking gels. Yesterday I got up early and had a bagel with PB. A few minutes before I headed out I took a gel, and a few sips of carb drink. I then took a gel at 6 miles. During the race I plan to take a gel every hour and toward the end an extra one if I need it. They say the key is to take the gel BEFORE you need it, so I will take one at miles, 5, 10, 14, 18, 21 and 24. Or there abouts. See how I go. It's unknown territory for me after 18! I'm not that keen on gels and even if its only a psychological boost its better than nothing.

zooming wrote: »
    I bought the marathon high 5 box and it gives you tips on taking gels. Yesterday I got up early and had a bagel with PB. A few minutes before I headed out I took a gel, and a few sips of carb drink. I then took a gel at 6 miles. During the race I plan to take a gel every hour and toward the end an extra one if I need it. They say the key is to take the gel BEFORE you need it, so I will take one at miles, 5, 10, 14, 18, 21 and 24. Or there abouts. See how I go. It's unknown territory for me after 18! I'm not that keen on gels and even if its only a psychological boost its better than nothing.

Not keen on them either stuck with water for the half marathon but a full marathon is a different story.

You are not kidding. Really all I need for runs shorter that 12 miles is a bottle of water. Once you go over 3 hours its all different! Not long now till you begin your build up for Dublin..

• Advertisement

Looking forward to it should be fun

6 miles this morning, felt quite good, knee holding up well so far.
    Getting my kit organized and sorted out, number will arrive this week and its on the countdown.

11 days to go

I was just adding up my miles logged from I began this programme almost 17 weeks ago on Jan 21.
    364 miles!!!
    I couldnt believe it was that much TBH

This day week on the way to Edinburgh

Its a lot of miles, hoping to do 1000 miles this year

• Advertisement

Week 17 report

Tuesday 4 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 8 miles

Sundays run was hilly and guess what the knee was giving bother by mile 6. Not as bad as previous runs I had before treatment but still enough to cause concern. My only hope is that Edinburgh is FLAT and hopefully that will be better for my ITB.
    This week is a the taper and carb load, and I'm going to try and get as much rest as possible. I'm working 3 long days this week but am off on Friday and flying over Friday evening, Saturday will be a rest day too and hopefully come Sunday morning at 10am I'm ready for OFF!

I have raised about £500 for Cancer Research and I'm glad about that, my mother died of lung cancer 17 years ago, last month she would have turned 80 if she was still alive and I'm doing this marathon in her memory. She really has been at the forefront of my mind these past few months leading up to this race, and it's very emotional I have to say. On SKY this week they are showing Eddie Izzards marathons for Mandela and when it is advertised I'm choking back tears also. One of the surprising things about this marathon training is what an emotional thing it is! I'm usually a very strong person but I'm crying at the drop of a hat these days...
    If any of you are religious say a prayer or 2 for me on Sunday morning lining up with thousands of others in Edinburgh, I'm going to get across that line before the sweeper lol lol lol

Week 17 report

Tuesday 4 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 8 miles

Sundays run was hilly and guess what the knee was giving bother by mile 6. Not as bad as previous runs I had before treatment but still enough to cause concern. My only hope is that Edinburgh is FLAT and hopefully that will be better for my ITB.
    This week is a the taper and carb load, and I'm going to try and get as much rest as possible. I'm working 3 long days this week but am off on Friday and flying over Friday evening, Saturday will be a rest day too and hopefully come Sunday morning at 10am I'm ready for OFF!

I have raised about £500 for Cancer Research and I'm glad about that, my mother died of lung cancer 17 years ago, last month she would have turned 80 if she was still alive and I'm doing this marathon in her memory. She really has been at the forefront of my mind these past few months leading up to this race, and it's very emotional I have to say. On SKY this week they are showing Eddie Izzards marathons for Mandela and when it is advertised I'm choking back tears also. One of the surprising things about this marathon training is what an emotional thing it is! I'm usually a very strong person but I'm crying at the drop of a hat these days...
    If any of you are religious say a prayer or 2 for me on Sunday morning lining up with thousands of others in Edinburgh, I'm going to get across that line before the sweeper lol lol lol

We will be all rooting for you Zooming

Best of luck Zooming with the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with Edinburgh Zooming. I hope the knee isn't giving you any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck on Sunday Zooming, go and give it socks. Just do your best and most importantly, enjoy the experience. It's a great feeling when you cross that finish line. Looking forward to the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Best of luck Zooming! Enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy Edinburgh and look forward to picking up that medal. Eagerly anticipating the race report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

The best of luck at the weekend zooming, I hope it goes really well for you.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! Your support means so very much. Knee wise I had a series of injections (arnica etc) during the week into it so I have given it EVERY possible bit of help. Off tonight to Edinburgh, day off work today to rest up but I'm awake at 5.25am and getting ready. Will get a nap later on. Am eager to get started and I permanently have one eye on the weather, last year it was BAKING hot at the EMF, this year not likely thankfully.
    I'd say at this stage there are enough candles being lit for me as would do a Papal funeral!!
    I fully intend to lift that medal on Sunday, just in front of the sweeper bus. LOL
    THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS!
    really your support has been great throughout.
    Race report to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck with Edinburgh. Make sure to enjoy it and smile crossing the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Best of luck zooming, enjoy it after all your hard work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Best of luck. I can't wait to hear how you got on.

Enjoy every minute of it - you only get to run your first marathon once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck Zooming. Enjoy every minute of it.....your first marathon is A - mazing :D

I'm almost getting a little bit excited alongside the fear and terror lol!!!

ROASTING hot in Edinburgh today. Back to hotel after a pasta dinner, kit all ready to go. A great atmosphere here in Scotland's capital, nerves shot!
    Doing a few stretches in the hotel before an early night, I'm in the purple start at 10am in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck with it, try to enjoy it and always remember your solid training. Ignore the demons when they arrive.

Looking fwd to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck zooming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

trust your training zooming. You've put in months and months of very hard work on so many crazy early morning in horrific conditions, all of which will stand to you. We're all rooting for you. Can't wait to read all about your experience.
    BEST OF LUCK:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Have a great run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ROASTING hot in Edinburgh today.

Final three pieces of advice - hydration, sun cream, hydration. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Final three pieces of advice - hydration, sun cream, hydration. ;)

+1 and enjoy, enjoy enjoy...:rolleyes: you only get to experience the first marathon once so ENJOY!!

Advertisement