Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming swiftly on from the Dublin Half 2012..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Live in louth so Dublin would be the closest, have another 200 mile left with my current shoes. I'm planing to do the DCM this year should I follow a plan like hals or do my own thing?

Yes, definitely follow a plan. Structure to your training will help.I'm sure Zooming will testify to that too.This is her thread after all!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Definitely follow a plan IMO. It's amazing the progress a structured plan brings. Going out on your own could work out well but you could make a balls of it too. I know I certainly would have without the plan laid out in the novices thread last year.

my plan was to Do 3 runs a week 6, 9 and 13 mile runs after each month up by a mile but I was thinking its overkill doing too much?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Yes, definitely follow a plan. Structure to your training will help.I'm sure Zooming will testify to that too.This is her thread after all!:)

I did my own thing for the Dublin half last year I know she swears by his plans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

my plan was to Do 3 runs a week 6, 9 and 13 mile runs after each month up by a mile but I was thinking its overkill doing too much?

You could be under and over doing it tbh. :)

Conventional wisdom has a need for 4-5 runs per week while marathon training. Hals plans for novices tend to be 4 runs + 1 cross train day.

Normally you would run the 3 shorter runs back to back (simulates running on tired legs by run 3) then 1 Long Slow Run per week. Mileage here steps up gradually like you mention but it also builds in step back weeks to aid recovery every 3 weeks or so.

You could be under and over doing it tbh. :)

Conventional wisdom has a need for 4-5 runs per week while marathon training. Hals plans for novices tend to be 4 runs + 1 cross train day.

Normally you would run the 3 shorter runs back to back (simulates running on tired legs by run 3) then 1 Long Slow Run per week. Mileage here steps up gradually like you mention but it also builds in step back weeks to aid recovery every 3 weeks or so.

Thanks for the advise Should I start this plan now then start again 18 weeks before the marathon

• Advertisement

/runs away before Zooming evicts us for hijacking her thread :D

Thanks for the advise Should I start this plan now then start again 18 weeks before the marathon

I'd continue to run for the moment as you are just building a base. Hals starting point for novice 1 is 3 x 3 mile runs and 1 x 6 mile run. That's a minimum you need to be at. If you're comfortable with running 6 miles at a time now by all means stretch out your LSR distance wise gradually over the next few months. By the time it starts you can then jump in a few weeks in and repeat a few weeks whilst the plan catches up with you.

I'd continue to run for the moment as you are just building a base. Hals starting point for novice 1 is 3 x 3 mile runs and 1 x 6 mile run. That's a minimum you need to be at. If you're comfortable with running 6 miles at a time now by all means stretch out your LSR distance wise gradually over the next few months. By the time it starts you can then jump in a few weeks in and repeat a few weeks whilst the plan catches up with you.

Think I will do the Novice 2 plan, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

You guys are awesome! Never worry about hijacking this thread, we are all in it together after all...I am following Hal Higdon Novice 1 but there are many other plans also.
    I did 9 miles Sunday and went to a spin class yesterday, fab!

Hal uses the up 2 down 1 approach, ie for the long runs as follows
    week 1. 6 miles
    week 2. 7
    week 3. 5
    week 4. 9
    week 5. 10
    week 6. 7
    week 7. 12
    week 8. 13
    week 9. 10
    week 10. 15
    week 11. 16
    week 12. 12
    week 13. 18
    week 14. 14
    week 15. 20
    week 16. 12
    week 17. 8
    week 18 26.2!!!!!!!
    He then has you running mid week tue/wed/thur also

• Advertisement

zooming wrote: »
    You guys are awesome! Never worry about hijacking this thread, we are all in it together after all...I am following Hal Higdon Novice 1 but there are many other plans also.
    I did 9 miles Sunday and went to a spin class yesterday, fab!

Did you get the spin bike yet? Whats the plan durling the marathon drink/food wise? Will you be useing gels?

No I didnt get one yet, they are really dear! I will go to the class instead its only £3 a class, untill I see a second hand one.
    I will use gels and electrolyte drinks, I wont use them on runs less than 10 miles, I will take a few with me on the way round the marathon course, hopefully my better half will be at 13.1 miles with a fresh bottle of stuff for me.
    Gulp!
    TBH I have not studied that part of it yet, but Im sticking to my porridge for breakfast and my normal pre run routine, will you be taking food round with you?

No I didnt get one yet, they are really dear! I will go to the class instead its only £3 a class, untill I see a second hand one.
    I will use gels and electrolyte drinks, I wont use them on runs less than 10 miles, I will take a few with me on the way round the marathon course, hopefully my better half will be at 13.1 miles with a fresh bottle of stuff for me.
    Gulp!
    TBH I have not studied that part of it yet, but Im sticking to my porridge for breakfast and my normal pre run routine, will you be taking food round with you?

I wont be doing a full marathon till DCM so plenty of time to experment, I have a bowl full of nutty musli and two eggs with brown bread. As for drink I use iso engery found it really good. Im open to suggestions for ideas.What drink do you use and how do you find it?

At the moment Im just taking water, during my half marathon I had a bottle with half lucozade sport and half water. On amazon I ordered a 'marathon pack' from high 5, it has a good selection of tablets you dissolve in water and gels etc, i will experiment with those when they arrive. Up until now I really dont take much before my long runs, but from now on I will take a small bowl of cereal before a run. Do you take that mix of breakfast before every run or just a long one? Someone once told me proteins were not great before a run better off after?

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a place in the Great North Run via the daily mirror ballot!!
    So my 2 events this year are the Edinburgh Marathon May 26 and the GNR Newcastle September 15.
    Wow!
    A year ago I would need a pony and trap to even think of it

At the moment Im just taking water, during my half marathon I had a bottle with half lucozade sport and half water. On amazon I ordered a 'marathon pack' from high 5, it has a good selection of tablets you dissolve in water and gels etc, i will experiment with those when they arrive. Up until now I really dont take much before my long runs, but from now on I will take a small bowl of cereal before a run. Do you take that mix of breakfast before every run or just a long one? Someone once told me proteins were not great before a run better off after?

It helps againt soreness, I have musli every morning eggs when i do my long run

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a place in the Great North Run via the daily mirror ballot!!
    So my 2 events this year are the Edinburgh Marathon May 26 and the GNR Newcastle September 15.
    Wow!
    A year ago I would need a pony and trap to even think of it

You'll love it, it's a great race :) I did it in 2012, really enjoyed it even though I raced injured and ended up in the physio tent at mile 10.

Book your accomodation ASAP, Newcastle is *incredibly* expensive on GNR weekend - we stayed in Jurys and it was around €300 for the 2 nights, with €200 of that being just for the Saturday night. Very convenient though, just up from the train station. Flights too, I ended up flying into Leeds on the Friday evening because it was so much cheaper to get that flight and a train on the Saturday morning than it was to fly direct to Newcastle then.

It's worth staying the Sunday night too if you can - Newcastle is a great spot to go out and have those well-deserved pints afterwards :D

Flights booked!
    Dear but if we left it longer it would have been outrageous, hotel next!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

To add to RK's post;

- Don't go to the pasta party on the Saturday, 30-40 min queues, simply not worth it for a free plate of pasta, we left the queue after 5 mins.
    - The City Games is worth a look, it starts at 1 on the Gateshead side of the river, basically track races on the riverside, pretty cool.
    - Book a restaurant the night before if you're staying in Newcastle
    - Get a bus back from near the finish line, don't get the train back from South Shields, 1 hr queues last year.
    -The GNR is a great race, but like every big event expect crowds at every turn, leave a bit more time than normal to get places during the weekend.
    - Don't drink Belgian beer that you think is only 4.5%, only to subsequently find out it's 8.5% :D
    - for any spectators, you can watch the start and make it to the finish on the metro in time to see the 1hr 30 min finishers but no sooner. It's a 20 min walk to the finish line from the South Sheilds metro.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Well today was a first, a first running in the SNOW! It was class!
    10 miles with an icy numb face and driving sleet, it only lasted half an hour and didn't lie but the snowflakes falling on my eyelids was so refreshing at times. Mad or what?
    Not long now till my OFFICIAL plan start. I will log my journey from go to whoa. It's gonna be GREAT!!!

Well today was a first, a first running in the SNOW! It was class!
    10 miles with an icy numb face and driving sleet, it only lasted half an hour and didn't lie but the snowflakes falling on my eyelids was so refreshing at times. Mad or what?
    Not long now till my OFFICIAL plan start. I will log my journey from go to whoa. It's gonna be GREAT!!!

Enjoy and good look, going to start hals novice 1 plan never ran three days in a row need to get use to it. Seen a bargin on running shoes my pair off Asics that I use for €30 euro less might get them. Also h&b have the cent sale on seen a few bargins there.

Enjoy and good look, going to start hals novice 1 plan never ran three days in a row need to get use to it. Seen a bargin on running shoes my pair off Asics that I use for €30 euro less might get them. Also h&b have the cent sale on seen a few bargins there.
    I got a new pair of Brooks from FOR RUNNERS BY RUNNERS, google them it's a new Irish website. Fantastic bargains! Are you using the half or full programme?

I got a new pair of Brooks from FOR RUNNERS BY RUNNERS, google them it's a new Irish website. Fantastic bargains! Are you using the half or full programme?

Going to start the full marathon novice 1 on tuesday, did you have a gait done on you?

No, I knew already that I over pronate after a bad sprain years ago. I wear orthotics so I opt for a neutral runner and put the orthotics in them. Great!
    When are you starting your novice 1 plan? I'm starting it Jan 21, 18 weeks exactly till my big day..

Just realised you said Tuesday that you start. Silly me. Good luck!!!!!!!

Getting my new shoes tomorrow and getting the gait tested see how it goes thinking off getting brooks shoes

Good luck on day 1 of Hal! Im a week behind you!!

Cheers are you all set for the marathon plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good Luck with your training plans zooming and darren83

Advertisement