Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming swiftly on from the Dublin Half 2012..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

OMG!!
    WAR WOUNDS!!
    During my 9 miles on Saturday I felt my corn play up on my wee toe, went to Chirpopdist this morning and hey! Guess what??
    I have FOUR wee corns on the side of my toe and a BLISTER too!
    The corns would come as the result of a tight pair of runners I has last year, but my new runners must not be broken in enough hence the blister. Aww.
    I was out for 3 miles this morning and no bother, so am off to buy compeed this morning.
    Note to all...get seen regularly by a Podiatrist/Chropodist and look after the feet.
    I might need a crutch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Zooming,

Don't be panicing about your marathon, you are doing everything correctly so it will all come together for you. i know you are in a hilly area, but try telling yourself that you'll walk when you get to the top and that should help you get to the top without walking, then have a little walk if you need to catch your breath, but you probably won't and you'll be getting all the benefit of the hills into your legs....

Keep up the great work!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

zooming wrote: »
    OMG!!
    WAR WOUNDS!!
    During my 9 miles on Saturday I felt my corn play up on my wee toe, went to Chirpopdist this morning and hey! Guess what??
    The corns would come as the result of a tight pair of runners I has last year, but my new runners must not be broken in enough hence the blister. Aww.
    I was out for 3 miles this morning and no bother, so am off to buy compeed this morning.
    Note to all...get seen regularly by a Podiatrist/Chropodist and look after the feet.
    I might need a crutch

Ouch Zooming how far have you ran on the new pair of runners

I have done a good few runs, but mostly short ones around 3 to 6 miles, 9 miles was probably the longest, I got them on Jan 4 so will just stick the compeed on till blister heals up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

OMG!!
    WAR WOUNDS!!
    I might need a crutch

Sounds awful. Ive been so lucky not to have suffered with any blisters through running. Have a couple of dodgy looking toenails now though because of it:)

What kind of socks are you wearing? I think investing in a few pairs of 1000 mile or similar double-soled socks are really worth it

• Advertisement

I have ascics socks, and a few other brands. Must try those double layer ones. The blister was only tiny, the chiropodist said it was likely the new runners not fully broken in yet, she padded the toe well and advised me to wear compeed till it heals up and shoes broken in. Isn't it all so amazing how our bodies react. It's 5.15am and I'm about to head out on my mid week 5 miler.

I have ascics socks, and a few other brands. Must try those double layer ones. The blister was only tiny, the chiropodist said it was likely the new runners not fully broken in yet, she padded the toe well and advised me to wear compeed till it heals up and shoes broken in. Isn't it all so amazing how our bodies react. It's 5.15am and I'm about to head out on my mid week 5 miler.

As Redrunner said the 1000 miles ones are great got blisters before I got them didn't get any since. Also lost a nail two more on the way out:eek:

I will search for a pair asap! Thanks guys

Ordered 2 different pairs of 1000 mile socks, so cant wait for that!

Opinion needed!!
    My marathon is on Sunday May 26, the Flora Womens Mini Marathon is June 3rd, and its 10k, would I be recovered for it?
    I did it last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi Zooming...

Following your thread with intrerest :D

IMHO your 10k a week or so after your marathon is a great idea.

Some people say you should take a few weeks off etc and I certainly realise the importance of rest periods but if I took a month I would be back to square one!

You should judge this 10k not as a chance to get a PB etc but as a reward for all the training you have done for the marathon. Rather than HAVING to to get up early and do huge distances in training etc, relax and enjoy this 10k .. your legs will thank you for it!

Thanks!
    Yes I had read somewhere that it was important not to go to seed completely after a marathon, and lets face it I wont be breaking any land speed records at the 10k, lol
    I will sign up and tiddle round and enjoy the atmosphere, last year I was in panic mode to make sure I got round.

Opinion needed!!
    My marathon is on Sunday May 26, the Flora Womens Mini Marathon is June 3rd, and its 10k, would I be recovered for it?
    I did it last year

I did an 8 mile Hilly run in Edinburgh 5 days after DCM12. Felt tired but got through it grand. 16 days after DCM I took 3+ mins off my 10k PB in a race(To my great surprise!).

If you really want to do it. I'd say go for it if your body feels ok after Marathon and as Doughef says just run it to enjoy it. You can always take a good rest after that if needs be.

I signed up anyway, and I will see how I feel after Edinburgh

thinking of getting a foam roller would you recommend them?

Yes, I got one last year before the Dublin half and I found it great, especially when the runs got longer

Week 5 report

Monday spin class
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 10 miles

I found Wednesdays increase of a mile a bit tight time wise, it was a rush to get back and ready for work. I do like a few minutes relaxation time after my run and I didn't get much, I'm going to set my alarm a bit earlier for those Wednesday runs as they progress further, and when they get really long I'm going to start work a bit later. I'm self employed so I can do that! Today's run was a different start point as I had to drop off a car, the first three miles were gloriously flat along a tow path and I was really happy with my times, then I was faced with a 1.25 mile TORTURE of a hill, then a few hills up and down home. 10 miles 2 hours 1 min. The good thing is that on the flat my pace is great, it's those hills that feck me up lol. I also bought those 1000 mile socks and no problems today with my wee toe. Aww

Darren 83 wrote: »
    thinking of getting a foam roller would you recommend them?

In a word...yes. I have "the Grid". Probaby don't use it enough tbh

RedRunner wrote: »
    In a word...yes. I have "the Grid". Probaby don't use it enough tbh

Well done Zooming another week closer too the race, got the foam roller it must be good my daughter has not let me use it yet

Is anyone else STARVING after a long run???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Always. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

scriba wrote: »
    Always. :D

I do be eating the house down myself at Sunday evenings & Mondays

Id eat around me after a long run.

In a word...YES:D....and then I just want to sleep

I went to health food shop yesterday and got SOLGAR protein shake powder. It is 71 cals per serving, Im hoping it will help me, after a run over 1 hour Im FAMISHED 3 hours later, even after my porridge. Not so bad on Sundays as I have a nice breakfast and lunch but mid week I only take a bowl of porridge and blueberries and go to work. I will report back on the findings! I think some of those protein shakes are very high in calories though but 71 is great

Week 6 report

I can't BELIEVE I'm 6 weeks in!!
    Tuesday. 3 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 7 miles
    It's been a strange week. Car in garage all week so couldn't get to spinning, plus I'm having to get up at 4.30am to fit my runs in before getting a lift to work. In times gone by this would have been the distraction I needed to halt my training but I'm too SCARED to stop! This was a "step back" week. It's a really interesting plan and I'm enjoying it!
    I have visitors coming in April and I need to take them away for a couple of nights and I found myself thinking " how will this fit round my training" I would normally forget what I wanted to do and just worry about others but I need to keep this training at the front of my mind for the next 12 weeks.. It's a real challenge on every front, but then I guess if it was easy everyone would do it.

Week 7 report

Tuesday. 3 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles
    Thursday. 3 miles
    Sunday. 12 miles

Longest run so far, a snowy hilly 12 miles today, it was tough but I felt like I could carry on if the terrain had been flat instead of hills! I'm feeling a slight ache in my left ankle, 6 years ago I injured it falling down steps and it was almost a break but not quite. I got Physio at the time and now I wear orthotics which are great. The ankle isn't sore as such just stiff after my longer runs. I have a tens machine that I use a couple of times a week on it, I guess it's inevitable to feel the odd ache here and there, but I think I could easily turn into a hypochondriac with ANY sniffle or sore spot! I ordered new orthotics in case my current ones are a bit worn. I'm starting to use the foam roller now too during the week, my quads seem to feel the tightest. Not sore but a little tight.
    Took a gel today, not that I felt I needed it, more to get used to taking them. Oh and I had to stop for a wee break at mile 8, cows got a lovely glimpse of my bare backside but needs must and there is no glamour in running long distances!

Ive just discovered the Dublin 2013 Novice thread, how come its closed? I wasnt invited boo hoo.... there seems to be some upset folks on that stream, why cant we all just love each other through our blisters :-)
    Hows everyone doing?
    Im gearing up for a 13 miler on Sunday,BRING IT ON!

I have just read some of the comments on the now closed DCM 2013 thread, and there seems to be a bit of a dislike for Hal Higdons programme, saying the runs arent long enough! Now Im pooing myself quite frankly, I have invested almost 2 months in this plan and now I feel that some folks think its crap. Im a bit down now, am I not even going to finish this marathon?
    I was feeling really positive before I read that stupid thread, what with the negative comments about PM and the running down of Hals plan I feel like crying quite honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I have just read some of the comments on the now closed DCM 2013 thread, and there seems to be a bit of a dislike for Hal Higdons programme, saying the runs arent long enough! Now Im pooing myself quite frankly, I have invested almost 2 months in this plan and now I feel that some folks think its crap. Im a bit down now, am I not even going to finish this marathon?
    I was feeling really positive before I read that stupid thread, what with the negative comments about PM and the running down of Hals plan I feel like crying quite honestly.

Don't be down at all.

That program is one of the most popular programmes around - it's popular because it works.

HH Novice 1 or 2 are designed to get you around a marathon and are ideal for a beginner stepping up to the distance who is happy to complete the marathon in a reasonable time compared to their own ability. Most of the novices last year and in the 3 years before followed this plan successfully. It is designed to be a bit easier mid week to allow some recovery time especially for those athletes who are increasing their mileage off a relatively fresh base.

The concerns raised and that were agreed by some of last years crew about mid week distances were raised by what I would call a higher calibre of runner. That's no disrespect to you or indeed myself Zooming. If you are a runner who is aiming for a high performance time then yes the plan can be a little short on miles and doesn't include pace runs etc. Such runners coming off a longer established running would benefit from the extra mileage whereas a pure novice might well be injured by it.

Keep your head up Zooming - this plan is perfect for you.

Advertisement