Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable for a teacher?

• 18-09-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

To take a student from class and place them in a higher year facing the wall?

And told sit there facing the wall. All this over laughing in class the day before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 danny8

I would say that there is a bit more to it than that. Have to remember Kids are no angles any more, the stories i hear from friends who are teachers is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tap

I'm well aware that kids are not saints. However the Teacher that put my daughter into a different class was not Teaching the class that my daughter laughed in.

It solves nothing putting her into a higher year with other students looking at her while she's made face the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

tap wrote: »
    To take a student from class and place them in a higher year facing the wall?

And told sit there facing the wall. All this over laughing in class the day before.

Whats with the facing the wall ? Could they not have given the student a book to read or work to do instead?? Thats a complete joke and waste of time totally counter productive

Whats with the facing the wall ? Could they not have given the student a book to read or work to do instead?? Thats a complete joke and waste of time totally counter productive

Exactly

If that had happened I would be less bothered, but the fact that she was made face the wall bothers me.
    Also the whole class laughed but three laughed the loudest and two of the three were put into different classes and only my daughter was told to face the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Exactly

If that had happened I would be less bothered, but the fact that she was made face the wall bothers me.
    Also the whole class laughed but three laughed the loudest and two of the three were put into different classes and only my daughter was told to face the wall

Very dated method of discipline, I think if it was me I would have to have a word. It is after all school and not guantanamo bay.

That was just a complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I would have a word with the principal, it could be he or she isn't aware at the tactics some of the teachers use.

This kind of punishment is very outdated

Just out of curiosity though, why did you're daughter's teacher not discipline her? Why send her to another class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

What age are the children in question? Who told your daughter to face the wall - her own teacher, or the teacher of the year she was moved to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Seems fair enough to me, might be enough of a deterrant that she won't repeat that behaviour again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

If this embarrassing punishment works then it'll benefit your daughter in the long run. She won't misbehave in that teacher's class again and maybe she'll learn in the next class because she'll be in there listening. Why make an issue of it?

However, it is an old fashioned punishment. Effective but a bit old-fashioned. I wouldn't like it but a sharp shock to the "coolness" factor of teenagers is sometimes the only way!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There should be no laughter during childhood. We need to stamp this out NOW.

OP I would have a word. This type of thing and lines are a waste of everyone's time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems fair enough to me, I had a similar incident happen to me, except i wasnt lucky enough to get a chair.

Its a shame that kids these days always think they have the upper hand and are supported unquestionably by their parents, my parents would have looked at me suspiciously and questioned the tripe i was telling them tbh.

Oh and i thank them for it because ive turned out just fine. Stamping incidents like these out before they start is best rather than always trying to be your childs 'friend'. They'll thank you for it later in life that you had their interests at heart. School is for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

This is utterly unacceptable - there is no place for humiliation in school. I am astonished that any on here see any merit in this type of behaviour.

Be sure to have more than just a word with the authorities in question, but speak to your daughter as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

How are teachers to discipline kids now ? Every time they do anything, the parents are all over them complaining about their children. I am NO fan of teachers in general for a whole load of reasons but this is one area where a complete mess has been made. Kids in school are out of control because there are few if any sanctions teachers can take.

What on earth is so awful about being made to face the wall for goodness sakes ? Will the child be traumatised ? Why not let the teachers teach and do their job.

Piliger wrote: »
    How are teachers to discipline kids now ? Every time they do anything, the parents are all over them complaining about their children. I am NO fan of teachers in general for a whole load of reasons but this is one area where a complete mess has been made. Kids in school are out of control because there are few if any sanctions teachers can take.

What on earth is so awful about being made to face the wall for goodness sakes ? Will the child be traumatised ? Why not let the teachers teach and do their job.

Facing a wall is utter useless and teaches nothing. Should Teachers face the wall also?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because it is a waste of the child's learning time.

Punish her by making her learn a page or German words, write an essay or something beneficial. Standing facing a wall is a lazy punishment that benefits nobody.

What age are the children in question? Who told your daughter to face the wall - her own teacher, or the teacher of the year she was moved to?

Her Year head removed her from class and the Teacher in the class she was moved to told her to face the wall.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I would have a word with the principal, it could be he or she isn't aware at the tactics some of the teachers use.

This kind of punishment is very outdated

Just out of curiosity though, why did you're daughter's teacher not discipline her? Why send her to another class?

Everything is referred to the Year head and she "deals" with it. This happened Yesterday and she was sent to a different class Today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭afatbollix

For a year head to get involved it sounds alot more serious than just laughing!

Also if I was a teacher and a kid was put into my class that was there on a punishment I would want that kid out of the way and not disrupting my class. Facing the wall would be a good way of doing that.

Why should a teacher that didn't have the issue with your child be forced to take the time out to set her work that they then have to check to make sure she completed.

afatbollix wrote: »
    For a year head to get involved it sounds alot more serious than just laughing!

Also if I was a teacher and a kid was put into my class that was there on a punishment I would want that kid out of the way and not disrupting my class. Facing the wall would be a good way of doing that.

Why should a teacher that didn't have the issue with your child be forced to take the time out to set her work that they then have to check to make sure she completed.

I never said anything about the other teacher giving her work? It hardly hurt the teacher having a student sit quietly in her class.

The year head normally deals with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Her Year head removed her from class and the Teacher in the class she was moved to told her to face the wall.

How old is she? I'm presuming it is secondary school, given the reference to Year Head.

Does the school have a discipline policy? This should give an idea of the procedure they are supposed to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

so something happened in class? you dont mention what. it would be interesting to see what they were laughing at as it would give a better indication as to why 3 students would need to be removed from that class the next day as a punishment.

your daughter was obviously moved into a classroom where the teacher had their own teaching to do with their own class and didnt need the distraction of your daughter. she was asked to face the wall, probably to stop her distracting the class being taught.

its not a common punishment but ive seen it done.
    sounds to me like they were laughing AT someone rather then laughing WITH someone if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Who told you the punishment was for laughing in class, your daughter or a teacher? Agree with the others, getting a year head involved seems like an over reaction for a child laughing. Wonder what she was laughing at....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I would Imagine the facing the wall was to stop them distracting the other students.

Piliger wrote: »

What does humiliation teach ? Would you tolerate it in the workplace for example ?

marienbad wrote: »
    What does humiliation teach ? Would you tolerate it in the workplace for example ?

It teaches that 'if i distract others in the class i will be be made stand out from the class' achieving 2 things you become embarrassed or youve got what you wanted attention.

They are not adults so please dont compare a work place as the same as a learning environment full of hormonal students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

listermint wrote: »
    It teaches that 'if i distract others in the class i will be be made stand out from the class' achieving 2 things you become embarrassed or youve got what you wanted attention.

They are not adults so please dont compare a work place as the same as a learning environment full of hormonal students.

True don't know why some people think its ok to treat children as sub human.

You make a lot of assumptions there , I think it far more likely that it will teach resentment and anger and turn kids against school , at least that was my experience when such practice was routine in schools. It was the lazy option then and it still is now.

Children are people and citizens too you know so of course you can compare with adults as hopefully the upcoming referendum will make very clear.

marienbad wrote: »
    You make a lot of assumptions there , I think it far more likely that it will teach resentment and anger and turn kids against school , at least that was my experience when such practice was routine in schools. It was the lazy option then and it still is now.

Children are people and citizens too you know so of course you can compare with adults as hopefully the upcoming referendum will make very clear.

Okay so the unlazy option is to what ? stop the entire class from learning ? bring the individuals aside?

Or is it best to exclude them from that lesson. You know there is finite resources available and children that think they know it all are a drain, including the parents who back them up or are lazy parents in their own right.

Okay so the unlazy option is to what ? stop the entire class from learning ? bring the individuals aside?

Or is it best to exclude them from that lesson. You know there is finite resources available and children that think they know it all are a drain, including the parents who back them up or are lazy parents in their own right.

Again you are making assumptions but lets say all the things you say may be correct , so lets find solutions for them.

Humiliating children is not the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think the OP is like many parents today. Everybody knows their rights but not their responsibilities. Your child was laughing in class and disturbing teaching time. Why are you not asking your child why she was disturbing the teacher's teaching time. This is what erodes teaching time in class and drives teachers bananas. When I was young if I did this and it came home to my father I would get a kick up the hole. I learnt my lesson. Too many parents cant discipline their own children, one of the most important things a parent can give to a child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement