Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable for a teacher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tap

boogle wrote: »
    This kind of attitude is surprisingly immature. You think that because there is a student whose behaviour is worse that your daughters' means she should be able to escape punishment. Do you know how management is dealing with this "problem student"? Do you know how many times his/her parents have been contacted or called in? Do you know how many detentions/suspensions etc this student has had? Worry about your own kids, not anyone else's based on second hand information.

Never said she should escape punishment but screaming at the teacher is far worse.
    No they have not dealt with the problem student this I deffo know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

boogle wrote: »
    Seriously, it's not allowed. They can't leave a class nowadays. Insurance and all that.

This is true. In the event of sudden illness, we have to get a colleague to watch our class. We are also not allowed put a disruptive child outside the door. We have to either send a 'good' child for another staff member to remove the disruptive child, or have an arrangement with a neighbouring teacher to take them.

Meanwhile the kids who want to do their work sit and wait while everyone's time gets wasted.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Ruling out the chance that the teacher is beating starving or psycologicqlly torturing your child I think you need to support him/her .
    First of all your kid is stopping a class of 25 from learning .
    Second it takes a village to raise a child. Making sure he/she respects the person whose job it is to teach them is very important .
    My first reaction if I was the parent in this situation would be to decide whether my child needed further punishment . As a kid the scariest thing for me as punishment was them ringing my parents . Now a teacher rings a parent they get as much flack from the parents as they did the child.
    I have good maners and had a good education the system worked for me but it was down to the backing of my family to make sure I worked for the system rather than against it . Looking for loopholes bad mouthing the teacher for not finding something more constructive , this has a negative effect on your child op .
    I think you have to look at your parenting skills instead of the teachers teaching skills.

What do you know about my parenting skills? I asked if it was acceptable for the teacher to punish a student in this way. You don't know anything about me so don't judge what you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

tap wrote: »
    I said you shouldn't have laughed. I told her that I have no problem with her receiving punishment if she was acting the maggot. She knows she was wrong but there is actually worse going on in the class.

So if you know what she did is wrong, why are you up in arms about it on the internet?
    She did something wrong. The teacher punished her. End of.

What punishment did you give her for misbehaving in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Never said she should escape punishment but screaming at the teacher is far worse.

Ok well, you've got a few differing opinions on your original post so I don't see the point in arguing around in circles. Try your best to be objective in these situations. And remember: teenagers lie. Yes, all of them!

• Advertisement

I asked if it was acceptable for the teacher to punish a student in this way.

And the majority of people seem to think yes it is.

So if you know what she did is wrong, why are you up in arms about it on the internet?
    She did something wrong. The teacher punished her. End of.

What punishment did you give her for misbehaving in school?

I'm not up in arms just don't like the fact she was made face the wall. Thought it was pretty outdated punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

discus wrote: »
    So the teacher should spend more time, thinking of an imaginative punishment? That's ridiculous. A punishment isn't meant to benefit it's receiver.

I think your comment is ridiculous, school as a whole is supposed to be benficial to students even in punishment we should expect they learn something.

Would an essay on classroom etiquette not be more suitable punishment while improving the students English skills ?

And for your information even when we send people to prison it is done in the hope they will reform and improve as a person, which in turn which in turn would benefit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

This punishment absolutely does benefit the kid . She learns not to disrupt the class .
    I think thats the lesson that the kid needs to learn . I havnt heard any evidence that an essay on etiquette will help anything other than her essay writing skills . These were not called into question .

I'm not up in arms just don't like the fact she was made face the wall. Thought it was pretty outdated punishment.

I don't see the facing the wall thing as anything more than minimising disruption is the class she was now being supervised in.

• Advertisement

This punishment absolutely does benefit the kid . She learns not to disrupt the class .
    I think thats the lesson that the kid needs to learn . I havnt heard any evidence that an essay on etiquette will help anything other than her essay writing skills . These were not called into question .

Because she will need facing the wall skills in later life wont she ???

LOL:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

There are interventions and strategies galore going on behind the scenes in relation to some students. So far behind the scenes that the general teaching staff may not be aware of it. Only the teachers of the child are aware of issues at home, social services involvement, NEPs, mental health issues and the likes. Any or all of these could be the case of the 'problem'child. Parents need to forget comparing their children to the 'problem' children. Be grateful your child does not have the same issues and focus on encouraging your child to uphold high standards of behaviour. Forget the rest of the class. Taking the word of 4 of her friends or even discussing the matter with her friends shows immaturity and lack of respect for discipline. You only have to open a paper to see that falling discipline standards and a growing lack of respect for all types of authority are ruining our society. Teenagers push boundries.That is what they do but adults have to work as a team to instill boundries and expectations. Adults, as in parents and teachers have to work together.

I would never ask a student to face the wall but it is hardly worthy of an investigation! I would also have a better chat with your daughter. Forget what the others were/ are doing. What did SHE do to merit the Year Head's involvement? They don't have time to chase up and punish tiny incidents. The incident was bigger than you are being told. The problem is with your child's behaviour and your reaction is doing her no favouus for the future. You cannot defend disrupting a class. You could ring the school and ask that your daughter is punished in a different manner... or you could ensure your daughter never has cause to be punished in school again! You control the bahaviour of one person in that room, the teacher controls 28 or so.

[/B]

I think your comment is ridiculous, school as a whole is supposed to be benficial to students even in punishment we should expect they learn something.

Would an essay on classroom etiquette not be more suitable punishment while improving the students English skills ?

And for your information even when we send people to prison it is done in the hope they will reform and improve as a person, which in turn which in turn would benefit them.

I give punishment sheets. The ides being you waste X amount of time, you spend X amount of your own time writing out words. It probably won't improve academic attainment but may be mundane enough to deter future misbehaviour. It takes one disruptive child to ruin the learning of 27

Because she will need facing the wall skills in later life wont she ???

LOL:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Thats the type of responnse youd get from a smart arse teen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

listermint wrote: »
    Embarassment is generally what children respond to, i did. Didnt like to be singled out from my peers if i got up to mischief so i would always point the finger elsewhere.

Is embarrassing the kids to make them behave still used by most teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Trotter wrote: »
    Try teaching 20+ adolescents a list of stuff to fill a phonebook. The parents are expecting you to produce results in the Junior/Leaving. If they fail, its your fault. Meanwhile, some of these little angels are showing minimal respect for anything going on and are giggling their way through the work.

Maybe the solution is to realise the hassle that laughing in class causes.. along with all the other things that on a consistent basis make teaching little Johhny, Johhny Snr's angel difficult to impossible.

Another solution would be to have a word about basic manners.

Do you really think a child was sent from the class for laughing just once among a crowd of people laughing? Really?

My daughter told me that Dora the Explorer robbed her socks. I don't believe everything she says, and it'll stay that way til she's well into her 30's.

But who am I only a teacher supporter type. Down with my sort.

maybe we should bring back the stocks - that would soon sort them !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Only the bad ones. kids who like attention don't get embarrassed by this kind of punishment

Thats the type of responnse youd get from a smart arse teen .

And thats the type of generalisation you would get from somebody living in the past.

Why not go the whole hog and bring back corporal punishment that will teach those damn teenagers some manners.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

By acting the ejit your daughter caused herself to be excluded from the class, where she was disrupting the learning of the other children.

What do you thinks should have happened, a little bit of circle time to discuss her feelings, coaching for her future career in stand up while the rest of the class looked on instead of doing their schoolwork?

This is not all about her, she opted out through her childish behavior and was removed from the place where she was disrupting other students. Facing the wall makes sense as it means that she could pull all the faces, contortions and mouth all of the insults she wanted without disrupting the rest of the class.

Fair play to the teacher, hopefully your daughter will get the message and act her age or at least serve as an example to the rest of the class. Although I wouldn't put it past the bounds of possibility that you could cause enough fuss to cause the teacher to publicly apologise to your unruly child, undermining the teachers and helping the education system take one step closer to the sewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

You wouldn't be a teacher would you?

Your attitude throughout this thread is appalling... You simply dont want to acknowledge that you child may have been in the wrong. I have friends who are teachers and I would not do it for any money due to parents like you... Believe it or not, all kids are not angels. I suspect she is spoofing you. Interesting to say the year head lied but the school kids told you the truth... No chance she was telling the truth and the rest of your child FRIENDS were backing your child up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Making a kid face the wall is weird, to be honest. I feel bad for teachers, more, though.

I try not to. Just out of interest, what would you do? Bear in mind that the average class is mixed ability. I will give you an example of one of my 3rd year groups. The last test results range from 23% to 100%. 2 students have diagnosed ADHD.8 in total have some form of learning difficulty, some are quite mild. No SNA. 2 students are often bold,causing 3 others to join in quite often. The classroom is too small to separate the troublemakers and the teacher can't actually move around the room very easily. The window faces the PE field, so students can see other students. 3 students forgot their book and have to share.We cannot send students to the room next door. We may text the principal but there would want to be a very good reason!

Answers/ suggestions welcome!

... oh one student really wants to study medicine (already!) and Mam is worried that the constant disruption is affecting their learning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

vamos! wrote: »
    I try not to. Just out of interest, what would you do? Bear in mind that the average class is mixed ability. I will give you an example of one of my 3rd year groups. The last test results range from 23% to 100%. 2 students have diagnosed ADHD.8 in total have some form of learning difficulty, some are quite mild. No SNA. 2 students are often bold,causing 3 others to join in quite often. The classroom is too small to separate the troublemakers and the teacher can't actually move around the room very easily. The window faces the PE field, so students can see other students. 3 students forgot their book and have to share.We cannot send students to the room next door. We may text the principal but there would want to be a very good reason!

Answers/ suggestions welcome!

... oh one student really wants to study medicine (already!) and Mam is worried that the constant disruption is affecting their learning.

Ehhh what were you trained to do? No point in asking us. We didn't spend 4-5 years training to be a teacher.

What would you do? A patient comes in with high blood pressure and a pain in his foot......................

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ehhh what were you trained to do? No point in asking us. We didn't spend 4-5 years training to be a teacher.

What would you do? A patient comes in with high blood pressure and a pain in his foot......................

But yet everyone seems to have an opinion on what teachers should do and how what they chose to do was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Quandary

I can only comment on primary school experiences but most schools have code of behaviour. For example, in my last school the child would be given a number of verbal warnings and if the poor behaviour persisted then (s)he would be placed on a time out

Asking a child to stand at the back of the class or beside the door would not be uncommon and in some cases if the child was still distracting the class by giggling, making faces etc then they would be asked to face the wall.

This is not an attempt to embarrass the child, but merely to allow the teacher to remove the distraction from the class.

As I said, I'm a primary school teacher so can't comment on secondary practices but i'm sure a lot of secondary schools have similar codes of behaviour.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I do not post complaining about my medical treatment. There seems to be an attitude among a section of the general public who think they could teach show the teachers how it is done, seeing as they have been to school. I don't know many who reckon they could tell their doctor, solicitor, accountant and postman what to do!

What does your training tell you to do in this situation? I cannot believe it is make the student face the wall. Surely there has been some advancement in 20 years.

The training doesn't focus on the 'difficult' students. That, however is a debate for another day!

Oh come on. If this was any other profession being questioned we would have a professional on here posting laws, studies, regulations, ethical studies. Go onto the legal forum or the tax forum or even the scuba diving forum and you will see every point backed up by academic reference and sources. Surely as a professional teacher you can give us some indication of the relevant ways to discipline a student? I would have thought getting the classes respect is 90% of the job?

If it is not covered in the training then I would assume the ASTI has been insisting on extra training for the teachers to educate them to an appropriate level to allow them to deal with misbehaving students?

• Advertisement

Op are you suggesting the teacher sits down with the bold children and asks them what punishment they will accept .
    Maybe send them out to do driving lessons or make them eat ice cream .
    How about they take the disruptive kids out to the beach and let the normal kids learn .
    Its a priveledge having an education for children teachers arnt your paid lackeys waiting on your next list of demands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement