Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable for a teacher?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Facing a wall isn't exactly corporal punishment.
    Equally, when I was in 3rd and 4th class of primary school, I had a teacher who used verbally insult students in the class on a daily basis ("you're not as clever as you think you are", "your hair has split ends", ect- v damaging to a 10yr old girls' self-esteem!).
    Running to mammy about it wasn't an option, we all just hated the teacher& just got on with it, no-one died as a result or anything.
    All your daughter had to contend with was being ignored. Whilst it wasn't productive looking at a wall, I'm sure it offered her valuable time to ponder her predicament without distractions. Doesn't sound like she ever encountered this "time out" method before?

Also, when I was on holidays from college- not Teacher Training College, I took a completely different path- I was asked by a local teacher to supervise her class for an hour as she had an emergency to attend to. A doddle, I thought.
    20minutes in, and ONE lunatic of an 8yr old, who I still remember to this day, was running amuck& the whole class following him. Finding myself threatening to throw his beloved football (that he was throwing around the room) out the window, I had to stop myself& ask "What the hell are you doing?!". Long story short, don't underestimate how hard it is to be a teacher until you've been in their shoes. I know I've had a newfound respect for their job ever since that day! I still have nightmares about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irishbanger

First teachers get paid to do a job, students don't.
    Not all children are angels but they are children.
    Teachers are adults or suppose to be.
    Children are emotional they are children and 6 hours a day is long for them.
    Teachers are not suppose to be emotional they are paid to do a job.
    Children are forced to attend schools.
    Teachers don't have to.
    Children have to do what they're told when they're told or be in trouble.
    Teachers can decide what they do and when they do it.
    Children have no rights or voice.
    Teachers make the rules and decide what rules are enforced and on what children.
    Young children are usually open and honest.
    Teachers and schools are very secretive and don't like sharing with parents.

All children lie, didn't they lie about the priests nuns and unchristian brothers.
    Go to the board of management they ask the teacher did you do or say that, no ok then the child was lying no further action required.
    More kids are bullied and more severely by teachers than other students and have a much longer impact.
    Where do you think all the suicidal and depressed young people come from.
    Where do all the thugs and anti-social people come from.
    They've all been in schools and been educated well but not in the way we would like.
    Then theres staff room solidarity teachers backing one another up, board of management backing them up, unions backing them up, dept of education backing them up, hse, mental health etc... All the people who earn money from it.
    Who backs up the child????? maybe their parents if they can.
    Been there seen it know it happens a lot, hope its not happening to your kids will your kids tell you or are they too afriad to.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Teachers don't have to.

Teachers make the rules and decide what rules are enforced and on what children.

All children lie, didn't they lie about the priests nuns and unchristian brothers.
    Go to the board of management they ask the teacher did you do or say that, no ok then the child was lying no further action required.
    More kids are bullied and more severely by teachers than other students and have a much longer impact.

They've all been in schools and been educated well but not in the way we would like.
    Then theres staff room solidarity teachers backing one another up, board of management backing them up, unions backing them up, dept of education backing them up, hse, mental health etc... All the people who earn money from it.
    Been there seen it know it happens a lot, hope its not happening to your kids will your kids tell you or are they too afriad to.........

I'll have to remember to tell my principal in the morning that first bit in bold.

I was actually only reading this thread last night for the first time. Had no intention of posting until I read the above. There are some major accusations and sweeping statements there. From your post you clearly have personal issues with teachers. You see us as the cause of all the worlds problems (the 2nd bit in bold). I think it is very unfair and very wrong to make such statements.

I was actually going to PM the OP to ask how this was resovled but seen as I am posting now, OP what happened in the end with this issue, was it resolved or was it just brushed away.

as I said only last night I read this thread from start to finish. People were getting quite angry with each other in parts which does not really help.

For the person who asked where all the professional were and how obviously we were all keeping quiet to protect our own, I would imagine not many of us actually are on the parenting forum very often so as a result would not see the thread as opposed to if it was on the T&L forum. Also as soon as one person opened their mouth in defense of a teacher they were jumped on so this is probably why others did not get involved.

As for the original reason for the thread a couple of things stood out to me. Firstly the input of the year head. Year heads are probably the most important people in the staff room as far as I am concerned, they are also as a result the busiest people there also. I have been in many school over the last number of years and I have certainly never seen a year head even want to get involved if it was someone laughing in class as a once off. (I am not saying this didn't happen I am just speaking from my own experience). From experience it was either a sustained problem or something more serious in that situation.

For the point of removing the child at the time, this is not possible in the majority of schools. At the time the teacher cannot leave the room, the teacher also can't send the student out of the room, this may have been near the end of a class, if so it probably would not have been resolved. Removing the person the next day in secondary makes sense as this would be the next time this person and teacher actually met so it was possibly to either make a point to the rest of the class that action would be taken or remove a distraction the following day to allow the class to continue and not effect the other students learning.

The question I would ask in relation to the "facing the wall" issue, was it the case that the student was put at a desk at the back of the room that was turned towards the wall as they would not be taking part in that lesson or was it that they were literally put standing against the wall an inch away. They are two very different scenarios and I don't remember anyone asking. The first one really there is no problem with, the second way is really something I remember from the 1980s and not today.

In relation to the other far more troublesome student, I would agree with I think vamos, other kids in the class and particularly other parents will not have a clue what is really going on there. We have one kid in my school that only the principal, vice and myself actually know what is going on at home and in his life outside of school. It is currently impacting on his school life in a huge way but things are being put in place. People must be very careful with these things, people think they know whats going on but in my case the other teacher think they know the story but in reality they havn't a clue.

Also one other question I would have is what did the year head lie to you about? You never said what it was. I am not defending anyone here I just have experience of it from all angles and sometimes taking a step back can help.

I do realise my post is a long time after the incident but I would certainly be interested in finding out what happened in the end.

My personal opinion is that I have no problem with a parent protecting their child and to be honest in the case I outlined above I wish more parents were willing to do more to protect their child but also jumping the gun on things doesn't help anyone either.
    (I had a case before where a parent was in nearly attacking me for the fact that kids were stealing their son's books pencil case etc. being bullied as a result, teachers picking on him for not having his stuff etc. It turns out we caught on cctv that on the quiet he was actually dumping his books in the bins. No idea why, not sure did anyone ever find out the answer but far from it being all my fault, there was a whole other side to it. I was disappointed that that parent never apologised to me but such is life.)
    There were some very passionate posts here from both sides but overall the whole thread was lacking some major facts for people to be properly able to judge or offer proper advice.
    Someone disagreeing with you doesn't always mean they are protecting the teachers just as someone agreeing with you due to personal issues as with the post above doesn't offer any real perspective to a situation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Teachers don't have to.

Wow! Just wow!
    I have no idea where you went to school but it sounds light years away from the nice normal primary and secondy schools I went to here in Ireland.
    Your accusations and assumptions made in that post are astounding.

• Advertisement

What accusations and assumptions are you talking about. I've written how it is.
    Schools and teachers are like our government, pretending to be concerned about the welfare of its citizens. We all know what they want and thats personal gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

What accusations and assumptions are you talking about. I've written how it is.
    Schools and teachers are like our government, pretending to be concerned about the welfare of its citizens. We all know what they want and thats personal gain.

Complete and utter rubbish, new account, clearly trolling.

All the extra curricular activites I do to get kids involved in sports is of course for my own personal gain.

Making myself available to kids should they need to talk about anything is all about me, the two girls who came to me and told me about another girl who had tried to kill herself, ye me going to the principal and making sure she got help was all to make me feel good.

Ridiculous post.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Complete and utter rubbish, new account, clearly trolling.

All the extra curricular activites I do to get kids involved in sports is of course for my own personal gain.

Making myself available to kids should they need to talk about anything is all about me, the two girls who came to me and told me about another girl who had tried to kill herself, ye me going to the principal and making sure she got help was all to make me feel good.

Ridiculous post.

Take it your a teacher maybe good maybe bad but still blowing your own trumpet.
    Why did the girl want to kill herself was it over school or a teacher picking on her just cause they could.
    Stop living in cloud cuckoo land every profession has good and bad in it health police law teaching even politics, but I have met a lot more bad teachers than good especially women don't know why exectly anyway no use talking to a teacher is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

but I have met a lot more bad teachers than good especially women don't know why exectly anyway no use talking to a teacher is there.

Clearly you had the same attitude in junior cert English class.

The fact that the girl didn't appreciate this punishment is proof for me that it was effective. Teachers don't have many tools to discipline kids now, especially when many parents automatically take the kids side.

And its certainly a lot milder that what we got in schools some years ago.

I would be interested to learn what punishment the mother would give her own child for misbehaving and if it works???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

To the original question. yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Take it your a teacher maybe good maybe bad but still blowing your own trumpet.
    Why did the girl want to kill herself was it over school or a teacher picking on her just cause they could.
    Stop living in cloud cuckoo land every profession has good and bad in it health police law teaching even politics, but I have met a lot more bad teachers than good especially women don't know why exectly anyway no use talking to a teacher is there.

I don't deny there are bad teachers, yet your mad views are that teachers are all mad and "no point in talking to a teacher". No point in talking to people like you is the thing.

As for the girl, trying to turn that back on it being a teacher's fault is sickening, bullying among people their own age is a major cause, lack of self worth that can happen to anyone, depression etc, doesn't make a difference, I put myself out there to help because I care what happens to these kids. You seem like a bit of a sick twisted person tbh.

gosplan wrote: »
    Clearly you had the same attitude in junior cert English class.

How you mean exactly. Could it have something to do with the retarded teachers I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

How you mean exactly. Could it have something to do with the retarded teachers I had.

So it isn't only teachers you have decided to be dismissive of and insulting towards:rolleyes:

tvnutz wrote: »
    I don't deny there are bad teachers, yet your mad views are that teachers are all mad and "no point in talking to a teacher". No point in talking to people like you is the thing.

As for the girl, trying to turn that back on it being a teacher's fault is sickening, bullying among people their own age is a major cause, lack of self worth that can happen to anyone, depression etc, doesn't make a difference, I put myself out there to help because I care what happens to these kids. You seem like a bit of a sick twisted person tbh.

Teachers sticking up for teachers there's a surprise.
    Never used the word mad they're selfish and weak usually.
    Never said it was a teacher bullying the girl but if it was it'd be far worse on her if it was with no one to turn to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

closing this thread for review and clean up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement