Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda talks about licensing on Reddit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rank and file Garda answering any questions on Reddit?
    That's either BS or a career limiting move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Or a rank and file garda who see's the writing on the wall , no prospects in a service that hasn't even the money to replace squad cars , getting the bus/luas to crime scenes lol.

So he's committing career suicide live in public?
    I wouldn't have thought so. Sounds like someone taking the mick if I'm honest, and if so, they'll be in a bit of hot water. Impersonating a Garda and all that.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    So he's committing career suicide live in public?
    I wouldn't have thought so. Sounds like someone taking the mick if I'm honest, and if so, they'll be in a bit of hot water. Impersonating a Garda and all that.

It looks legit to me.

Unless he screws up and reveals enough detail to identify him he won't get caught. If his higher ups contact Reddit for IPs/etc they'll probably be told to PFO.

Well, he's hit the journal now. Somehow I don't think this will end the way whomever's doing this thought it would end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Very interesting read, definitely legit I would say, seems like a nice chap...

If it's genuine, the Commissioner and the Minister (not to mention the Press Office) will want his hide and then his badge, in that order, if they don't press criminal charges.
    If it's not genuine, the same people will want the same things, minus the badge.

Reddit do have the right to tell them to PFO if a section seven comes in the door, but somehow, I don't see reddit standing up to the DoJ/Gardai if people are talking about pressing charges. I sure wouldn't be betting my posterior on it if I was them.

Reddit do have the right to tell them to PFO if a section seven comes in the door

Section 8, of the Data Protection Act.

It's highly likely that they'd ignore it. There's absolutely no benefit to them responding to it.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Section 8, of the Data Protection Act.
    Muckin' sudofed :D
    It's highly likely that they'd ignore it. There's absolutely no benefit to them responding to it.
    What's the upside to them in defending him?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Both the notebook holder and ID look very new, plus the fact that he's obscured the rank my money would be on him being a reserve.

• Advertisement

What's the upside to them in defending him?

"Derp derp derp freedom of speech derp derp first amendment derp derp." - Average Reddit user

Helping the Gardai track this lad down == fewer AMAs from interesting people == less traffic == less money.

"Derp derp derp freedom of speech derp derp first amendment derp derp." - Average Reddit user
    Heavy on the derp derp at that...
    Helping the Gardai track this lad down == fewer AMAs from interesting people == less traffic == less money.
    Yeah, but if this gets enough airtime (in Irish media) which it's on the way to doing, you'll have an embarressed Minister; you know what kind of crap that causes :(

Yeah, but if this gets enough airtime (in Irish media) which it's on the way to doing, you'll have an embarressed Minister; you know what kind of crap that causes :(

Reddit won't give a shit. Ireland is irrelevant to them.

There might be a witch hunt within the Gardai, but I can't see how that would affect shooters since the AMA had little to do with firearms and even less to do with licensed shooters.*

* Vague attempt at bringing this back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Very apposite comments about arming the police, in view of the shooting, this very morning, of two unarmed female police officers by a known serial killer in Greater Manchester.

It seems they 'chanced upon' Dale Cregan, wanted for the recent murder of a father and son by handgun and grenade. He opened fire on the umarmed officers, killing one on the spot - the other one died about an hour ago.

RIP ladies.

And NOW the Sh!t will be hitting the fan.

tac

Reddit won't give a shit. Ireland is irrelevant to them.
    And amazon? Or has reddit moved off their cloud?

And amazon? Or has reddit moved off their cloud?

This would require Amazon to be keeping logs at the level of detail necessary (highly unlikely) or for them to peek inside Reddit's VMs (assuming those VMs live in the EU-West region). That would be a multi-million dollar mistake which their competitors would love them to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Neilos wrote: »
    Both the notebook holder and ID look very new, plus the fact that he's obscured the rank my money would be on him being a reserve.

Maybe he borrowed his Cheif Supers ID??Would explain its new look!:p:D
    Get the impression he/she is genuine,or is well versed on some technical points of Gardai day to day life.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

I'd gladly take that guards job since he's making his way out of it! :eek:

This would require Amazon to be keeping logs at the level of detail necessary (highly unlikely) or for them to peek inside Reddit's VMs (assuming those VMs live in the EU-West region). That would be a multi-million dollar mistake which their competitors would love them to make.

I was more thinking along the lines of 'Minister calls amazon, mentions state IDA grants, asks for phone call to reddit'...

I was more thinking along the lines of 'Minister calls amazon, mentions state IDA grants, asks for phone call to reddit'...

The government is under no illusion about who wears the trousers in that relationship. :)

• Advertisement

The government is under no illusion about who wears the trousers in that relationship. :)
    See, that sounds perfectly logical to me.

And every time I think something's perfectly logical, some.... politician decides to do the opposite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Interesting POV on requesting to not have the search of your motor recorded on the PULSE system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Maybe he borrowed his Cheif Supers ID??Would explain its new look!:p:D
    Get the impression he/she is genuine,or is well versed on some technical points of Gardai day to day life.

Maybe it is the chief super :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

With the recent legislative changes you might even be able to use it to defend your home if you were in fear for you life,

Be interesting to see how this fairs out actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

garv123 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how this fairs out actually..

Absolutely! The first time this rears its head in court its going to set a remarkable precedent.

Interesting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Absolutely! The first time this rears its head in court its going to set a remarkable precedent.

Interesting times ahead

A few months ago someone shot a burglar as he fled in a van and he's being praised for it and nothing seems to have been said or done about it since.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/burglar-is-blasted-by-shotgun-as-owner-stops-factory-raid-3030588.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Interesting POV on requesting to not have the search of your motor recorded on the PULSE system.

You can request till the cows come home, not going to happen though.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that this will not end well for whoever the person claiming to be a member is and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IF it is genuine..Fair dues to him/her..The culture of whistleblowing wouldnt exist if there was nothing to hide in an organisation or body,and as they said they wont comment on operational matters...
    After all arent we suppoosed to have an open and transparent society?[Despite mr Mc Creevys and Bertie Aherns best efforts to the contary.:rolleyes:]

BTW if the freedom of info act is ammended this Autumn to include AGS,NAMA etc. That should be intresting to see regarding firearms applications and refusal decisions by the revelant Supers and Cheifs

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Whats the big deal? Fair play to the person for answering the questions. Some posters here seem to have a hard on in the hope he/she gets caught:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Whats the big deal? Fair play to the person for answering the questions. Some posters here seem to have a hard on in the hope he/she gets caught:confused:

There is no one on hoping he/she will get caught?
    Unless you have xray vision and can see the laptop rising on posters laps :rolleyes:

Advertisement