Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Analog tv switch off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If they're 4 years old none of them will be compatible. The UK are turning off their analogue also, you'll most likely loose all channels on the non UPC box TV's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

smash wrote: »
    Any TV or box that isn't compatible will display a count down on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. If you're watching RTE and don't see this then you're ok.

That countdown....is it the one with the red x and the date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

In fairness, I can understand why older people may get a bit confused by the whole thing; all they know is that Gaybo keeps telling them their channels will be going off soon and to buy a saorview box...it doesn't even say where they can be bought or how much they can expect to pay.

Most of us wouldn't even think of it, given that most people have sky or upc.The campaign doesn't appear to have been geared towards the likely profile of people who still use aerials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Think so... you're screwed! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

D:

Its on RTE2 and TnaG, but not RTE1 and TV3 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I picked up a saorview box a few weeks ago and can pick up all the Uk digital stations and I am in Westmeath so nowhere near the border. I was pleasantly surprised when it starting tuning them in as the salesman told me it would only give the Irish stations.

Can you get the English and Irish channels on the same EPG with that box or just the one (Soarview or Freeview)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Im close enough to the boarder reigon
    Surely the uk stations have to cover northern Ireland so it's possible to use their digital box to pick up their stations
    I've absolutely no interest in rte etc
    Might give that a shot
    yup,
    on the whole if you get the UK channels through the aerial now on analogue then you can also get them in digital, along with other freeview channels like Dave, 5 Usa, the kids channels, bbc news 24, sky news etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

"When the analogue television service is switched off your analogue television set will need a set-top box to receive digital television. Your analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a television licence"

Quote from the Citizens information website. Even if you cant get RTE you still have to pay for it. Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is there anywhere I can see if the TV is compatible? And if it is, what do I need to do then? On the day of the switch over, do the channels continue as normal?

you don't have to wait till the day, you can switch now and get the new service straight away

Yea - 24 October

Not Necessarily. Check the tv and see does it have a digital option. You may need to plug in the co-ax cable into a different slot at the back also.

If the tc has a digital option, and the cable is plugged in to the correct socket on the tv, just do a digital search. if this works, hey presto, you are laughing. if not, you got to do something about it.

• Advertisement

"When the analogue television service is switched off your analogue television set will need a set-top box to receive digital television. Your analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a television licence"

Quote from the Citizens information website. Even if you cant get RTE you still have to pay for it. Bastards.

The licence is for possession of a TV. You could argue that a non Saorview compatible TV isn't a TV but a monitor, therefore doesn't need one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I picked up a saorview box a few weeks ago and can pick up all the Uk digital stations and I am in Westmeath so nowhere near the border. I was pleasantly surprised when it starting tuning them in as the salesman told me it would only give the Irish stations.

Can you get the English and Irish channels on the same EPG with that box or just the one (Soarview or Freeview)?

I get both on the EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I get both on the EPG.

Im looking for one of them as i can get both signals in Cavan, Can you give me a link or more info on the box please?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The licence is for possession of a TV. You could argue that a non Saorview compatible TV isn't a TV but a monitor, therefore doesn't need one

I was searching for loopholes, but unfortunately they seem to have already thought of that one...

"Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I get both on the EPG.

Im looking for one of them as i can get both signals in Cavan, Can you give me a link or more info on the box please?:D

Got the box in Currys for about €70, will check out the make this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Nothing but rubbish on tv anyway, might be a blessing in disguise to have to turn off in october

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

If I don't have sky / upc / whatever, and I don't get anything come 24th of October, does this mean that I don't need to pay my TV license fee considering I don't have any way of accessing the "quality programming" RTE provides ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If I don't have sky / upc / whatever, and I don't get anything come 24th of October, does this mean that I don't need to pay my TV license fee considering I don't have any way of accessing the "quality programming" RTE provides ?

If you still have an old television then a license is still required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

seamus wrote: »
    You can't get british stations OTA as it is. Why would they mention that you will continue to be unable to get British stations OTA?

There were quite a few community-run deflector schemes that were broadcasting British channels. Completely different set up from RTE of course but you can see where the confusion may lie for people who just took it for granted that they'd always have the channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As far as I am aware,
    As long as you got a tv in your house. The government wants that license fee from you. Even if its just collecting dust :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lertsnim wrote: »
    If you still have an old television then a license is still required.
    As far as I am aware,
    As long as you got a tv in your house. The government wants that license fee from you. Even if its just collecting dust :rolleyes:

Technically, if the telly is clearly disabled (and irreversible) from getting an Irish station, your scott free from paying for a licence under the present law.

However the clever boys/girls in Dublin are now updating the broadcasting laws and if you soon have a device which can receive a media signal, cough-up for a licence (probably under a re-titled name)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Biggins wrote: »
    Technically, if the telly is clearly disabled (and irreversible) from getting an Irish station, your scott free from paying for a licence under the present law.

However the clever boys/girls in Dublin are now updating the broadcasting laws and if you soon have a device which can receive a media signal, cough-up for a licence (probably under a re-titled name)!

:pac:
    That pretty much means your tv would have to be smashed up in order to prove you dont need a license, lol!

Cause you would have to tear out any aerial port, hdmi port, component cables port or scart port for it not be able to recieve any tv :pac:

:pac:
    That pretty much means your tv would have to be smashed up in order to prove you dont need a license, lol!

Cause you would have to tear out any aerial port, hdmi port, component cables port or scart port for it not be able to recieve any tv :pac:

Yep! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was searching for loopholes, but unfortunately they seem to have already thought of that one...

"Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it."
    There is a difference between repairable and being totally incapable of decoding the new type of digital transmission.

You do need a license for a set top box or other device that can decode the broadcast signal.

This is actually interesting for people with UPC analog TV. ;)

But isn't the proposed internet tax supposed to handle this anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

QUOTE]

A banjaxed telly isn't much use tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Advice to anyone buying a HDTV is to try and get one where you have can view the image (especially how it displays non-HD channels) before you part with your cash as a lot of LCDs out there are rubbish. The ghosting and picture quality is junk on many of 'em and I'm not just talking about low-end TVs, have seen some crap that cost over a grand and that would have you pining for your old CRT.

I recently bought myself a 32HX755 for €499 (Amazon.de). It's 3D and has a DVB-S2 tuner on board also, so can hook up a sky dish to it for FreeToAir. Not Saorview compatible but the DVB-T tuner on it displays the Irish Digital channels fine. Best of all though, the picture is cracking.

Maplins also have some cracking Saorview boxes that can be hooked up via scart for those that want to hang onto their old TVs. You won't get HD obviously, but no reason why you shouldn't still get an excellent picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

any freeview HD box should work

The folks got a new Sony TV from Smiths in Cavan (opposite bradys garage) and with only the aerial plugged in they have all Irish and UK Free/Saorview channels in digital on the same EPG. It'd be no different for a set top box.
    BTW, we bought back at christmas and the lads were on the ball then, even with a stock of official Walker brand saorview products, so they'd probably have an even wider range now coming closer to switchover.

and back on topic,
    even my 87year old grandmother in law in deepest rural Cork has a saorview box in the press ready for the switchover and if she can get it sorted anyone can !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I think it's pretty clear what's gonna happen.

BTW the uk's version of the digital box is only around £14-£20 while our Sh*tview box starts at €60. Rip off as per usual.
    Probably best to point to the reasons I gave when someone asked a similar question last month...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80203543&postcount=20
    People are not told clearly that the Saorview box does NOT allow British stations to be accessed when the ads run on TV.

All the RTE adverts conveniently forget to mention this for obvious reason.
    Saorview receivers, be they TVs or set-top-box converters, can get UK terrestrial channels provided you are in an area where the strength of signal overspill of Freeview from Northern Ireland or Wales is adequately strong enough. Wales have long finished their digital switch over. Northern Ireland's Freeview signals at present are limited and on low power, but this will change beginning on the 10th October and will conclude on the 24th, the same day as that in the Republic. As to how much overspill they'll be, that will be hard to accurately quantify until at least the 10th October when Phase One of NI's switchover begins - with a suitable enough aerial it'll probably cover about 1/3rd of the Republic at most - possibly as far south as Offaly inland and along most of the east coast. Rule of thumb is that if your current NI analogue channels deliver half-decent pictures where Ceefax is readable, it should be OK for at least the PSB stations.

As for RTÉ not making a mention of it - Saorview's a replacement for the Irish analogue TV network that presently carries RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, TV3 and TG4. Never carried UK stations and Saorview doesn't carry them now. Were never there, no loss and no real need to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

I disagree with your assessment.
    I'm going on the words/advice of others over some time, given to me when asking about this!

Section 140 of The Broadcasting Bill 2009 defines a television set as: “any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus."

I have inquired about this as a number of places I have been in, had none functional TV sets.
    I was told as they are non-operational, rendered incapable of receiving and exhibiting anything, they are exempt.

I guess the professionals telling me this was all wrong and your right!

Edit: I say this not to annoy you or antagonise. Just going on what I have been told.
    If I am wrong - I stand correctly corrected.

If I am wrong - I stand correctly corrected.

Well, allow me to correctly correct you.

Where, in all that hastily googled (and quite correct, where you mention the Broadcasting Bill) stream of information is any mention made of Irish TV stations, specifically?

• Advertisement

And while we're at it-how were these TVs rendered incapable of reception, and how could you tell?

And wasn't it opportune that the owners of all these unusual devices happened to be professionals in just the field we happen to be discussing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

A Guide on How to Prepare for the Analogue TV Switch Off:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

People are not told clearly that the Saorview box does NOT allow British stations to be accessed when the ads run on TV.

All the RTE adverts conveniently forget to mention this for obvious reason.

Your stuck with what I consider to be sh*t RTE.

You can get instead a multi-view system for this ability.

why would rte mention anything about uk tv?, and u forgot to mention were stuck with even more sh&te tv3

Well, allow me to correctly correct you.

Where, in all that hastily googled (and quite correct, where you mention the Broadcasting Bill) stream of information is any mention made of Irish TV stations, specifically?
    I'm estimating that as the Irish Broadcasting Act partly has jurisdiction over Irish stations (open to to be wrong) then any others (foreign) are outside the remit of collection of their viewing. In effect If England wants to collect a licence for us, for viewing their stations, it will have to written into Irish law so that they can do so.
    And while we're at it-how were these TVs rendered incapable of reception, and how could you tell?

And wasn't it opportune that the owners of all these unusual devices happened to be professionals in just the field we happen to be discussing?
    The owners were not the professionals, those I spoke to were behind counters, be they in a post office or TV retail outlets.
    how were these TVs rendered incapable of reception, and how could you tell?
    In one case I stayed in as a single person (after divorce), there was a great lump of a TV box (the old heavy tube type) resting sideways in a corner of a flat I was renting (living in it while sorting out the sale of a private home) and it was broken (tested it).
    The landlord at the time took his lazy ass shifting it - And I sure as hell was not humping it anywhere.
    I had brought my own TV for which I had a licence for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

I'm estimating that as the Irish Broadcasting Act partly has jurisdiction over Irish stations (open to to be wrong) then any others (foreign) are outside the remit of collection of their viewing. In effect If England wants to collect a licence for us, for viewing their stations, it will have to written into Irish law so that they can do so.

The owners were not the professionals, those I spoke to were behind counters, be they in a post office or TV retail outlets.

In one case I stayed in as a single person (after divorce), there was a great lump of a TV box (the old heavy tube type) resting sideways in a corner of a flat I was renting (living in it while sorting out the sale of a private home) and it was broken (tested it).
    The landlord at the time took his lazy ass shifting it - And I sure as hell was not humping it anywhere.
    whats a licence?

cats.life wrote: »
    whats a licence?

Something James Bond has and he said he's going make use of it when he calls on you! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Section 140 of The Broadcasting Bill 2009 defines a television set as: “any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus."

So after the 24th Oct my TV (with it's analog receiver) will be incapable of receiving television broadcasting services, nothing, nada, zilch, zero..................so therefore I don't have to pay for a TV licence. :)

So after the 24th Oct my TV (with it's analog receiver) will be incapable of receiving television broadcasting services, nothing, nada, zilch, zero..................so therefore I don't have to pay for a TV licence. :)

You could chance your arm! :D

I suspect a new possible household broadcasting charge will soon catch up with you though! :o

Interesting read here: http://blogs.myhome.ie/2012/01/20/proposed-household-broadcasting-charge-the-right-or-wrong-way-to-do-things/

Janey, Biggins, do you not remember what you said, or what you read? The BBC etc. have nothing to do with it. An Post are charged with collecting the license, and the acts under which they operate makes no particular reference to Irish stations. If I moved to Drogheda, and pointed an aerial at Divis Hill in order to receive the 5 UK channels to the exclusion of the Irish ones, do you think the An Post License Inspector will pass my house by?

I didn't know An Post personnel, good and all as they are, were experts in removing the tuners from TVs (which has been ever more difficult in recent years-unless you buy a monitor, and even then...)

So, what you had there was a randomly broken TV set.

In any event, TV licenses are associated with address rather than individual. You could have transferred the license you held in your former marital home-but I doubt too many people would have bothered, I know I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely-I know the act was amended a few years ago by Eamon Ryan, to exempt the likes of smartphones from the legislation. In all likelihood, a similiar caveat regarding set top boxes, Saorsat receivers and compatible TVs will be enacted, if it hasn't already.

Anyway, once it has a UHF tuner, which anything after the mid 70s will have as a rule, all you need to do is hook it to the RF output of a Sky or Freesat box-ergo, TV without a Saorview receiver!

...do you think the An Post License Inspector will pass my house by?
    I hope they do - I hope you get lucky!
    ...I didn't know An Post personnel, good and all as they are, were experts in removing the tuners from TVs (which has been ever more difficult in recent years-unless you buy a monitor, and even then...)
    Better them than me if they want to earn a second living!
    I hope the tax man don't catch up with them! :D

...In any event, TV licenses are associated with address rather than individual. You could have transferred the license you held in your former marital home-but I doubt too many people would have bothered, I know I wouldn't.
    I'm assuming your right about the "TV licenses are associated with address" - I didn't bother myself but if the TV checkers wanted to be really awkward, they could have checked where I bought my TV (which I was lucky to get because the soon to be ex-wife stole a lot of stuff including the marital bed! Ironic considering her affairs!) and discovered I had only one TV and that set I owned was the one I had brought with me to my then later new address.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TheBoss! wrote: »
    I recently bought myself a 32HX755 for €499 (Amazon.de). It's 3D and has a DVB-S2 tuner on board also, so can hook up a sky dish to it for FreeToAir. Not Saorview compatible but the DVB-T tuner on it displays the Irish Digital channels fine. Best of all though, the picture is cracking.
    Not 100% sure - so get someone to confirm it

but if you get a small dish and Ka LNB and a diseq switch you could probably get saorsat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Not 100% sure - so get someone to confirm it

but if you get a small dish and Ka LNB and a diseq switch you could probably get saorsat

Yeah, seen a few videos on YouTube that have a similar set-up in order to get SaorSat and FreeToAir off the one dish.

Be nice if a box like the following was all you would then need to record both, as then it would be very close to Sky+, with out the subscription:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Recorder-Requires-Satellite/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348258326&sr=1-3

RTE are gobdaws-they should have just gone unencrypted on Astra-every house in the country without an aerial or cable has a feckin' dish pointed in the right direction already.

I have 6 tvs in the house, not all with sky boxes-and now I have to put up yet another dish for Saorsat, cos the local transponder is going kaput soon.

RTE are gobdaws-they should have just gone unencrypted on Astra-every house in the country without an aerial or cable has a feckin' dish pointed in the right direction already.

I have 6 tvs in the house, not all with sky boxes-and now I have to put up yet another dish for Saorsat, cos the local transponder is going kaput soon.

This has been discussed many times in the Satellite forum. They cannot, they pay for USA shows for an audience of ~4million and cannot offer it free to the whole of Europe.

• Advertisement

This has been discussed many times in the Satellite forum. They cannot, they pay for USA shows for an audience of ~4million and cannot offer it free to the whole of Europe.

Three words, UK Spot Beam.

Surely limiting reasonably convenient reception to the British Isles would solve that problem?

The BBC etc., seem to manage (with admittedly larger resources).

Surely limiting reasonably convenient reception to the British Isles would solve that problem?

British isles is much larger than the 4million they already pay for. Rte are broke, what do you want, an increases in licence fee? I'm not going to get into how they waste money but going free to air is not going to benefit them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You clearly have no idea about rights costs for 67 million people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Couldn't RTE just move all their imported shows onto RTE2, and then broadcast RTE1 FTA throughout Europe?

British isles is much larger than the 4million they already pay for. Rte are broke, what do you want, an increases in licence fee? I'm not going to get into how they waste money but going free to air is not going to benefit them

Are you saying that RTE are purchasing at a substantial discount by virtue of the fact that they are supposedly only broadcasting to the island of Ireland? This may seem obvious, but many people are unaware of it, and you'd have to question what the difference in acquisition costs between RTE and BBC would be, for one particular show, just as an example. The reason I ask, is because I haven't seen a breakdown from any quarter, as to how much additional costs would be imposed on RTE, were they to be available on a Freesat platform to the British Isles.

In theory, they are, anyway, due to Saorsat, higher gain dish and differing alignment notwithstanding, no? So, you'd have to wonder whether RTE will be paying more for imported content now as a result of Saorsat than they would have, previously?

I haven't yet mentioned the many many people who have "moved" to Northern Ireland from the UK, in order to avail of RTE/TV3/TG4/etc. reception, vis a Sky subscription on an NI card ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement