Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Analog tv switch off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

mike65 wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea about rights costs for 67 million people!

Quantity rather than quality as usual, eh Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are you saying that RTE are purchasing at a substantial discount by virtue of the fact that they are supposedly only broadcasting to the island of Ireland? This may seem obvious, but many people are unaware of it, and you'd have to question what the difference in acquisition costs between RTE and BBC would be, for one particular show, just as an example. The reason I ask, is because I haven't seen a breakdown from any quarter, as to how much additional costs would be imposed on RTE, were they to be available on a Freesat platform to the British Isles.

In theory, they are, anyway, due to Saorsat, higher gain dish and differing alignment notwithstanding, no? So, you'd have to wonder whether RTE will be paying more for imported content now as a result of Saorsat than they would have, previously?

I haven't yet mentioned the many many people who have "moved" to Northern Ireland from the UK, in order to avail of RTE/TV3/TG4/etc. reception, vis a Sky subscription on an NI card ;)

There is no discount, TV Shows and Movies are sold this way, their intended audience.

Saorsat was chosen for a reason and isn't available outside Ireland, it can be got in west Wales but not much further east.
    http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/u1000004/saorsat/Irish-Scot-v3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There is no discount, TV Shows and Movies are sold this way, their intended audience.

Saorsat was chosen for a reason and isn't available outside Ireland, it can be got in west Wales but not much further east.
    http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/u1000004/saorsat/Irish-Scot-v3.jpg

That *is* narrow! And the big dish mightn't be a solution for reception outside the island due to interference from other "spots".

Looks like I'll have to swap out one of my existing dishes for a 90, and fit a Ka LNB...

edit: Thanks btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

That Saorsat is a joke also as it does not carry TV3 or 3e, alot of people without Saorview will be very unhappy with this.

Stinicker wrote: »
    That Saorsat is a joke also as it does not carry TV3 or 3e, alot of people without Saorview will be very unhappy with this.

The choice is there for Tv3 to pay up and go on Saorsat, they are crying poverty and refusing to do so. It's a ****e channel anyway, it's just ITV reloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quantity rather than quality as usual, eh Mike?

You can talk, you're posting crap!

read and learn

http://www.tvtrade.ie/can-i-get-the-rte-channels-on-free-to-air-satellite.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That *is* narrow! And the big dish mightn't be a solution for reception outside the island due to interference from other "spots".

Looks like I'll have to swap out one of my existing dishes for a 90, and fit a Ka LNB...

edit: Thanks btw.
    not only is the beam narrow , the cutoff is very sharp

as for size ka is half the wavelength so 90cm would need very accurate alignment. In good weather a hand held 40cm dish will pick up TV signal right up to where the beams overlap in Wales.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80610475&postcount=2513
    It seems as if the signal is indeed limited to very west Wales. I only tested the North West Wales coast and I can confirm the signal is OK in Bangor but gone by the time I reached Conwy.

Penmaenmawr seems to be around the cutoff point. West of this area the signal is OK, east of it nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

feck your digital tv, ive cave man tv and its great, na na.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 freedom of speech

Im working for a company promoting SKY and I can assure you people know what saorview is, the costs, channels and other information, but what i dont understand is people getting The high end seorview box for over 300 euro when the can get SKY for 12 months on a promotion that would be a total cost of 250, they keep the box the dish and go freesat after the contract is up, hence gaining more channels than saoerview(cant spell it lol) could ever offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

Im working for a company promoting SKY and I can assure you people know what saorview is, the costs, channels and other information, but what i dont understand is people getting The high end seorview box for over 300 euro when the can get SKY for 12 months on a promotion that would be a total cost of 250, they keep the box the dish and go freesat after the contract is up, hence gaining more channels than saoerview(cant spell it lol) could ever offer.

You forgot to mention that you lose the Irish Channels after the 12 months. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

but what i dont understand is people getting The high end seorview box for over 300 euro when the can get SKY for 12 months on a promotion that would be a total cost of 250, they keep the box the dish and go freesat after the contract is up, hence gaining more channels than saoerview(cant spell it lol) could ever offer.

What saorview box, other than a TV, costs over €300? Combi receiver is about €150-175.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cheapest saorview box is a USB tuner for your computer for ~ €7 or €8

Argos/Lidl/Aldi do saorview boxes for under €50 , Cheapest Freesat box s probably the one in B&Q. ( includes dish, cable etc. )

Total cost to replace Sky is about €100 if you already have a TV aerial

Must check if the B&Q box has diseq so you can get saorsat

One big gotcha with SKY is that when the contract is up you can't record or watch anything recorded on a Sky+ box. Most of the €45 saorsat boxes will allow you to record.

You can still record with the box after the contract is up, the box is yours to keep and the 180 hours record time is built into the box, so yeah its not a "Gotcha"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wrong!

Sky + will not function without a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You can still record with the box after the contract is up, the box is yours to keep and the 180 hours record time is built into the box, so yeah its not a "Gotcha"

Proof, not that it was needed that many who work in the industry don't know what they're talking about, so what hope for many members of the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Proof, not that it was needed that many who work in the industry don't know what they're talking about, so what hope for many members of the general public.

Well, they did say they were promoting sky, not actually giving anyone the facts! :p

Couldn't spell saorview, gets sky completely wrong... yeah, real voice of authority right there, I can't decide between "seems legit", or "shut up and take my money" :pac:

Sky is a scam. They give you a box that records. You own the box. Then they rent you back the recording functions through a monthly subscription. Nasty

Sky is a scam. They give you a box that records. You own the box. Then they rent you back the recording functions through a monthly subscription. Nasty

How is that a scam? They don't hide that fact from you when you're taking out a subscription! They're providing a service for that subscription that includes channel packages and playback service, also streaming via sky go and many other pay on demand services that they don't twist your arm to take. Also the picture and sound quality are far superior in HD and they even offer 3D if that's what floats your boat?

Where's the scam exactly? Sky are a business, not a charity, and certainly provide you with more channels and content than you'll get on saorview, FTA, etc. Of course you pay for it, but you're not forced to take it if you don't want to pay for it!

I pay €45 a month for my multiroom sky and I have saorview on Windows media center through the HTPC hooked up to the tv for when my wife wants to watch her soaps and I sure as hell don't! :pac:

Only last week I bought a saorview box for my wife's granny who has no interest in subscription services nor HDtv, quite happy with her 4:3 aspect ratio nearly 15 year old CRT television! :D

It's a scam because you own a box with PVR functions, but it doesn't record if you stop subscribing. They don't make it known that the content you record isn't playable if you stop subscribing. They also do their best to make the box as annoying as hell to use as a free to air box, the channels are all over the place. A Freesat PVR box is a much better option for satellite if you can live without a few channels, other than the discoveries most of them are crap.

• Advertisement

It's a scam because you own a box with PVR functions, but it doesn't record if you stop subscribing. They don't make it known that the content you record isn't playable if you stop subscribing. They also do their best to make the box as annoying as hell to use as a free to air box, the channels are all over the place. A Freesat PVR box is a much better option for satellite if you can live without a few channels, other than the discoveries most of them are crap.

That's purely a subjective opinion, but there's nothing to suggest sky are a scam, otherwise they'd have been forced to change their terms and conditions long ago, or are you the type of person that doesn't read the terms and conditions when you sign up to a subscription service, are given a box you own for free, expect to use it as an FTA box, and then complain because they have the EPG categorised in such a way that any fool can pick it up and know exactly where their favorite channels are on a standardised EPG? Well God love you PMT, lol, that bad about it if you want all those functions and to watch your FTA, get a satellite kit and box yourself and install it yourself for the guts of €250, take the time to sort out your own boquets, and pray the next software update doesn't bork your box... or pay for sky like most average people that can't be done with that hassle! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So am I right in saying all I have to do is go into Argos, pick up on of the boxes, plug the wires at the back of the tv into it and I'm set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

So am I right in saying all I have to do is go into Argos, pick up on of the boxes, plug the wires at the back of the tv into it and I'm set?

If you are currently getting TV3 through your aerial, then yes, that should be it.

Awesome.

And, because there was some confusion over answers, will the Argos box be able to pick up the English channels (BBC 1 NI, BBC 2NI, ITV and C4)?

Awesome.

And, because there was some confusion over answers, will the Argos box be able to pick up the English channels (BBC 1 NI, BBC 2NI, ITV and C4)?
    Not unless you are very close to NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes if you're within the coverage area of a UK transmitter in NI or Wales and have an aerial pointing at that transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Irish people are as thick as shít when it comes to the analogue tv switch off in 5 weeks time. People are thinking that they will be able to get sky channels on saorview, others who have upc are thinking they need a saorview box too to keep getting upc.

So Irish people are as thick as shít are we, ah but isn't it a beautiful shíte we shít, and tell me this Phat Willie, or should that be little willie, wasn't it the Irish shít that lay the foundation to all the great Countries in the World today, and isn't it the Irish shít that write the words and tunes that the World loves to hear, and wasn't it the Irish shít that show the world supporters how to have a great time, instead of kicking the shít out of each other, and sure enough didn't the Queen of England herself bow in Honor of our great shít Country.

So Irish people are as thick as shít are we, and one other thing, what's all this about Analogue TV been switch off.

Not unless you are very close to NI.

Drogheda.

Probably not close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Okay the easiest way to get all your digital channels is satellite disk, second hand don't know the cost but you pick one up cheap enough, a old sky box cost about 20 or €25, 100m satellite cable cost about €25, F connector plus LNB if you want to connect your satellite disk to all your TV all of this will bring in all your digital channel for free but not your Irish channels, if you're buying a digital TV make sure it has a USB connection for your download movie, you can do all of this yourself the cost will be about ten time cheaper then getting someone to do it for you because they will add all of this to their cost ten time over, because I check with a TV installer and they told me it would cost anything from €500 to a €1000, so in other words buy what you need first and then decide whether you need someone else to do the job for you or you can do it yourself, this way you're in charge of what you decide, add it all up. but if undecided wait till the analogue signal is cut of, because maybe just maybe, you wont need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Youre going to the wrong people buddy, ive seen a Freesat install going for is around €300 and thats going for a HD box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

I had some UPC and SKY salesmen at the door trying to tell me exactly that.

I called them on their BS but I wonder how many grannies etc they scammed.

Same thing happened to me a while ago with a sky salesman, he waffled on, i told him i wasnt interested as i had freesat and saorview and he tried telling me that i couldn't have saorview yet and that i would lose my irish stations come October if i didnt pay out for all this new equipment or better still, get Sky installed:rolleyes: I told him i had had saorview for ages, i knew how it worked and i would most definitely not be losing my channels in October. He tried the usual "this is a short term offer, today only blah blah" but it was working on me so he left, probably to sucker some poor mug who knew no better! Was kinda annoyed when he left because i know it's through this misinformation that people will end up signing up to them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I'm plugging out the aerial and putting a coat hanger in the back of the TV. That'll show them.

dogmax wrote: »
    Okay the easiest way to get all your digital channels is satellite disk, second hand don't know the cost but you pick one up cheap enough, a old sky box cost about 20 or €25, 100m satellite cable cost about €25, F connector plus LNB if you want to connect your satellite disk to all your TV all of this will bring in all your digital channel for free but not your Irish channels, if you're buying a digital TV make sure it has a USB connection for your download movie, you can do all of this yourself the cost will be about ten time cheaper then getting someone to do it for you because they will add all of this to their cost ten time over, because I check with a TV installer and they told me it would cost anything from €500 to a €1000, so in other words buy what you need first and then decide whether you need someone else to do the job for you or you can do it yourself, this way you're in charge of what you decide, add it all up. but if undecided wait till the analogue signal is cut of, because maybe just maybe, you wont need to.

:eek: They'd want to be providing me with a top of the range tv as well at that price!

I had to buy a new tv a few years ago, so i checked on the terrestrial forum here on boards for advice on what specs the tv would need to pick up saorview (i already had an aerial in my loft) and along with my 6/7 year old lidl freesat dish and receiver which cost €99 at the time i get all the channels. The prices some people are quoting is rather shocking tbh. My only complaint would be that the dish is huge - always reminds me of the episode of Only Fools and Horses with the aircraft sat dishes lol

I know RTE get some slagging at times, and i'm guilty of it myself too but i have to admit that RTE1 +1 has come in handy for me quite a few times :)

funny that lol cause mine works and I'm outta my contract with SKY, my girlfriend has UPC for the 3 in 1 pack, the internet is great, the phone ok, but the TV service is poop. But yeah I can still record my freesat channels with my box, maybe your thinking of an older model, I own my equipment and I have every right to use its recording functions on non sky subscription channel's if I wish.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Mickey H wrote: »
    I'm plugging out the aerial and putting a coat hanger in the back of the TV. That'll show them.

Thats How i'm picking up Saorview...

Meesared wrote: »
    Youre going to the wrong people buddy, ive seen a Freesat install going for is around €300 and thats going for a HD box
    For UK TV channels

B&Q have a DIY install with all the instructions, dish , cable , cable grips, rawlplugs, everything except a masonry bit.

to align the dish go to www.satpointer.com and choose 28.2E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats How i'm picking up Saorview...

Indeed Saorview signals are in my experience much stronger, anything metal that will make a decent contact with in antenna input seems to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

any freeview HD box should work

The folks got a new Sony TV from Smiths in Cavan (opposite bradys garage) and with only the aerial plugged in they have all Irish and UK Free/Saorview channels in digital on the same EPG. It'd be no different for a set top box.
    BTW, we bought back at christmas and the lads were on the ball then, even with a stock of official Walker brand saorview products, so they'd probably have an even wider range now coming closer to switchover.

and back on topic,
    even my 87year old grandmother in law in deepest rural Cork has a saorview box in the press ready for the switchover and if she can get it sorted anyone can !

Sorry so late replying as i havn't been on, I bought a freeview HD box in the north and it recieves both signals, But... When i turn it on first it give me a choice to choose Soarview or freeview, If i choose the soarview signal i have to stick with Soarview only channels on the EPG and its vica versa for the freeview if i select that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just throwing this out there......

shouldn't saorview boxes be given out free?? the basic ones at least??

i mean we are paying a TV licence after all, don't see why we should have to cough up for this as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

fryup wrote: »

i mean we are paying a TV licence after all, don't see why we should have to cough up for this as well

I thought the same thing too. However the tv license is what you pay for simply owning a tv

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

ya i know, but RTE the state broadcaster are suppose to be providing a service to us the licence payer so arguably those boxes should be provided free of charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Sorry so late replying as i havn't been on, I bought a freeview HD box in the north and it recieves both signals, But... When i turn it on first it give me a choice to choose Soarview or freeview, If i choose the soarview signal i have to stick with Soarview only channels on the EPG and its vica versa for the freeview if i select that.
    theres a heap of other threads in the Tech fourms, but to answer that quickly you are better off choose Freeview and then retune rte to channel 5, 6, after the uk channels as is normal in the border counties
    (where thats the order the channels are in when tuned in from analogue, abeit bbc2 and utv with swapped positions)

Theres far more UK channels so to get them into an organised state and to not have porno channels all over the shop youre better off choose Freeview/ location=UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

^^^^^^^^^^^

ya i know, but RTE the state broadcaster are suppose to be providing a service to us the licence payer so arguably those boxes should be provided free of charge

People are being made pay for water meters so they can be charged for water. I dont think the government would be charitable enough to provide free saorview boxes for everyone.

^^^^^^^^^^^

They do provide a service though, by transmitting the content. It's up to us how we receive it after that. Sure they'd have to supply the aerial as well as the box if that were the case - they'd probably tell us to buy a decent, uptodate tv then we wouldnt need the box lol

That would cost €15m
    license revenue is €160m
    and an post keep €12m of that

in Italy they gave a grant to over 70's who had a TV license
    (of course they use the old digital standard which means cheaper boxes)

We could do that, but then everyone would get their granny to buy the box

There is no such thing as a basic saorview box
    if it's approved it will have 7 day EPG / HD / Digital teletext
    and AFAIK most of them will record to USB

you can save a few quid by getting a non-approved box but you will probably loose things like 7 Day EPG, Digital Teletext, High Definition (if you buy a particularly nasty box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Connected my ext hard drive to the saorview box and the cnut of a thing formatted the hard drive, might have lost everything.

anyone going to tune in at 10 tomorrow morning to watch the analog switch off ??

it is kinda historic after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a particularly nasty box

Nothin worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

does anyone know who is the person thats going to do the switching,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What channel will they be switching ananalogue off? How will we know if it worked? What happens if we're all sent back to the days of black and white tv?

Advertisement