Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Analog tv switch off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

cats.life wrote: »
    does anyone know who is the person thats going to do the switching,,,
    Gay Byrne, it's always Gay Byrne..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Less than 16 hours left if you want to use a non-digital TV to test an aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What channel will they be switching ananalogue off? How will we know if it worked? What happens if we're all sent back to the days of black and white tv?

RTÉ One News Special at 0955 in the morning with Dobbo and Gabyo (probably). You'll know it worked if you're watching the programme on analogue terrestrial via an aerial and it goes blank after Gaybo (?) flicks the switch, you can then watch the rest of the programme on Saorview, Sky, cable etc.

Why would we go back to the days of B&W when Saorview has been fully operational for the last 17 months, of course if you not ready for all you'll be watching static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I met my 60yo neighbour tonight with a ladder, and flashlight, trying to connect his new aerial...
    This is disgusting that there are salesmen who would do everything to sell anything.
    I asked Paddy, my neighbour, if he needed new aerial. He was told he needed one.
    At the end, I connected his new aerial, and went through all the settings for the box he got, he got one with recording option, and all the rest, and he has no clue how to use them.

I did what i could, get the signal right, and explained what the buttons on the remote are for, i did better job than any of those saorview sellers out there.

He spent 75 Euro on the box, few more on the aerial...and he did not even get proper instructions on what to do, disgusting...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Pottler wrote: »
    Gay Byrne, it's always Gay Byrne..

Who will switch Gay Byrne off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

The biggest error in all this is the emphasis on the "switch off " . One year ago - 24 Oct 2011 should have been Saorview "switch on " day. It's amazing how many people think Saorview is only starting tommorow! The big switch ON a year ago would have eased the rush now .....

Had a quick look, for anyone concerned about going to the roof:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Who will switch Gay Byrne off

More worried about who turns him on tbh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I think the British ones are going off tonight at half 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

RIP Ceefax :(

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Irish people are as thick as shít when it comes to the analogue tv switch off in 5 weeks time. People are thinking that they will be able to get sky channels on saorview, others who have upc are thinking they need a saorview box too to keep getting upc.

What's Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Woohoo, I've a special tv, I'm still getting tv signal woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

wonski wrote: »
    Had a quick look, for anyone concerned about going to the roof:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

The site has gone offline - you think they would have bought more bandwidth for their period of highest demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

woodoo wrote: »
    I think the British ones are going off tonight at half 11

What about the Khazakstani one?

The site has gone offline - you think they would have bought more bandwidth for their period of highest demand.

This site was on only few hours ago...
    From now on it is all up to the sellers (DID, Harvey Norman, etc...)
    This only proves my point - no support from now on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unplugged teh TV from UPC and did an analog scan

Am getting a horizontal band on the RTE2 on VHF
    Half tempted to give them a call and complain about the reception :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

As regards picking up freeview on a soarview box in the border region. I know it works because i've seen it personally, but my question is how.

My understanding was that freeview uses mpeg2 encoding while soarview went for mpeg4 or has this changed since the DTT trial ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Are there any deflectors still in operation anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So you come on Ireland's biggest forum, on the most active forum on the site and call Irish people thick as shít?

I don't think we're all as thick as you think.

in fairness ay one who listen to what a priest says is :pac::cool:

Watch out OP the internets gonna get ya :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    As regards picking up freeview on a soarview box in the border region. I know it works because i've seen it personally, but my question is how.

My understanding was that freeview uses mpeg2 encoding while soarview went for mpeg4 or has this changed since the DTT trial ended?

No, the newer standard that Saorview uses, DVB-T/Mpeg-4, is backward compatible with the older Freeview standard DVB-T/MPEG-2 so a Saorview MPEG-4 receiver can decode both MPEG-4 and 2 video but a Freeview MPEG-2 receiver won't do MPEG-4 video.

But the 4 FreeviewHD channels use a newer standard again called DVB-T2/MPEG-4 which cannot be decoded by a basic Saorview or Freeview receiver. This newer standard requires a receiver with a DVB-T2/MPEG-4 tuner which is also backwards compatible with Freeview MPEG-2 and Saorview MPEG-4.

Lots of discussion on it over in the terrestrial forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Just how many people are going to watch the "switch off show", and then suddenly realise that they are still on the old analogue system.

I can just hear them all go.

OH SHíT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Will there be a 'switch off' off show? With a big novelty switch?

Will there be a 'switch off' off show? With a big novelty switch?
    Yes,
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/listings.html
    09:55

RTÉ News Special
    I would like it if there was a big red button with "do not press" or the like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They probably still have the big switch from the Bord Gais Big Switch, which they could borrow.

http://www.madeinhollywood.ie/blog/make-the-big-switch-to/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you made the change on any or all your TV sets?

The analogue signal disappears at 10 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah got sky there recently. That was partly for the Ryder Cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yessir, all switched over (although the box for my own telly ain't working too well right now), my parents have switched too.

Hard to imagine not having this done, those ads have been everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You know that someone, somewhere, hasn't this done and will complain how it came out of the blue without warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Duggy747 wrote: »
    You know that someone, somewhere, hasn't this done and will complain how it came out of the blue without warning.

It's a disgrace joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Duggy747 wrote: »

Joe Duffy's gonna be busy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

WindSock wrote: »
    Joe Duffy's gonna be busy today.

Good call, will have to keep an ear out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder how they know that 100.000 people still haven't made the switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would imagine some elderly people might not be able to afford the switch or be able to get someone in to install it. Makes me really sad to think about actually :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Does anyone know if Saorview works on a black and white TV? Dont really want to make the switch AND get a colour TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new 46" telly (impulse buy) new kitchen telly (old one blew up last year - first time a realised that the saorview signal was on !) saorview box for old telly

freesat hd recorder and old sky box (no contract) covers everything else i think :D
    antodeco wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Saorview works on a black and white TV? Dont really want to make the switch AND get a colour TV

seriously ? doubt your black and white telly has a scart input so no, and by the time you've paid 80 quid for a box your better off buyiing a new telly

oh and you would need a colour licence anyway if you got a box because you have colour receiving equipment (even if your not using it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes indeed, and you can either go to any TV shop and but a Saorview approved Set Top Box or you can take other routes for non approved boxes!

I converted a fifteen year old Tv we have in the bedroom (No Scart socket) just RF input, by plugging in a little converter like one of these > http://www.adverts.ie/tv/digital-tv-adapter-stb-for-irish-digital-service-saorview/714023.

Any TV can be converted.

RTE1 has its countdown programme on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Only on the 'valve' ones.
    Here's what you should do.

1. After 'Outlook' and the 'National Anthem', you'll see a white dot disappearing into the void.

2. Get up from your 'comfy' chair whilst groaning, and press on/off button on TV (television).

3. Your TV is probably built in to a 'beautifully finished' wooden cabinet.
    Remember to close over the doors provided in order to protect the screen.

4. Drink a large cup of cocoa or hemlock - whichever's available - and have a lovely sleep.

• Advertisement

CLICK!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

new 46" telly (impulse buy) new kitchen telly (old one blew up last year - first time a realised that the saorview signal was on !) saorview box for old telly

freesat hd recorder and old sky box (no contract) covers everything else i think :D

seriously ? doubt your black and white telly has a scart input so no, and by the time you've paid 80 quid for a box your better off buyiing a new telly

oh and you would need a colour licence anyway if you got a box because you have colour receiving equipment (even if your not using it)
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Yes indeed, and you can either go to any TV shop and but a Saorview approved Set Top Box or you can take other routes for non approved boxes!

I converted a fifteen year old Tv we have in the bedroom (No Scart socket) just RF input, by plugging in a little converter like one of these > http://www.adverts.ie/tv/digital-tv-adapter-stb-for-irish-digital-service-saorview/714023.

Any TV can be converted.

:pac:

*weak or no signal*

:( sniff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I chose 'No' in the poll...mainly because I don't own a tv :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pat Rabbite making a speech now he goes to Mary Kennedy
    "you can tweek my ears anytime"

A right comedian old Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They show a helpline for those having trouble after its switched off. Clever!

Threads merged. Poll and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I dont watch the television anymore, its simply a monitor for my games console. Where's the option on the poll for 'I dont care'?

I'll pick the cave option

I chose 'No' in the poll...mainly because I don't own a tv :D

Ah we've found our French left wing intellectual! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Anyone know what's wrong with RTE?

Just switched it on for a Murder She Wrote Marathon & it's on the blink

It better be back for Nationwide or I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to Arthur Murphy on Mailbag

• Advertisement
Advertisement