Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing allegiances

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Know of a guy who was an Arsenal fan, but then switched to Nottingham Forest following their successful 94/95 season and Arsenals/George Grahams indiscretions that season.

That worked out well for him. Tbf i think he stuck with them.
    At least following Forest is a challenge. And more fun.

Is that dude from Limerick, I think I know him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yeah I find this "real fan" mentality bizarre. I've never heard anyone accused of not being a "real" Michael Jackson fan because they didn't grow up in Gary, Indiana.

If you find supporting a football team similar to liking a musician then I honestly don't think you are as big a fan as those living in the clubs city going to their games regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does he wear a match of the day t shirt now?

Always used to think he actually only did it to wind me up, ****ing hate Alan Shearer, you just gave me an idea for his birthday though :)

Would be a good one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cambo2008 wrote: »
    No it's not even remotely like the exact same thing.
    Is every town in England crammed with supporters of different county GAA teams??
    No.
    If GAA was as popular in England as EPL is here then it would be the exact same thing.

if it was, it would still be ridiculous someone from england supporting a county they have no connection to and getting into crazy arguments with other english supporters of a county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

[

Yeah I find this "real fan" mentality bizarre. I've never heard anyone accused of not being a "real" Michael Jackson fan because they didn't grow up in Gary, Indiana.

If you want to use a Michael Jackson comparison, I'd say it's more akin to all those mad fans who used to. cry and shout ''I love you Michael'' at him, despite not really having any connections with the man whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bohsman wrote: »
    If you find supporting a football team similar to liking a musician then I honestly don't think you are as big a fan as those living in the clubs city going to their games regularly.

I'm honestly not bothered about how big a fan you or anyone else thinks I am. My fandom is not a contest, nor does it exist to impress you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If you want to use a Michael Jackson comparison, I'd say it's more akin to all those mad fans who used to. cry and shout ''I love you Michael'' at him, despite not really having any connections with the man whatsoever

That's pretty much my point. People develop emotional attachments to all sorts of things for all kinds obscure reasons and it can manifest to bizarre levels. Who are we to judge? Why should somebody's love for something have to be justified according to an arbitrary rule set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

froog wrote: »
    if it was, it would still be ridiculous someone from england supporting a county they have no connection to and getting into crazy arguments with other english supporters of a county.
    No it's not.
    Where did this idea that you should only support a team from the country you're from come from??
    It doesn't happen in any other walk of life.

Should we only watch Irish made films?
    Should we only listen to music made by Irish artists?
    Load of bollox tbh.

No it's not.
    Where did this idea that you should only support a team from the country you're from come from??

Load of bollox tbh.

i've no problem with lads supporting a team in england, but when lads take it to the extreme i find it a bit farcical. saying "we" and getting into heated debates, calling fans from other clubs "scum" etc, and as in this thread, ridiculing people who switch teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a poster in here, fairly prominent in the United thread, all "we" and "us" and happy when they win, unhappy when they lose, seems to know a good bit about youth players, always reads up on transfers, keeps up to date with injuries, watches Ferguson's press conferences on the Friday - all that stuff.

In fact, in real life, I know for a fact that he's a Leeds fan.

Des wrote: »
    There's a poster in here, fairly prominent in the United thread, all "we" and "us" and happy when they win, unhappy when they lose, seems to know a good bit about youth players, always reads up on transfers, keeps up to date with injuries, watches Ferguson's press conferences on the Friday - all that stuff.

In fact, in real life, I know for a fact that he's a Leeds fan.

Name and shame please.

Being a United fan and a Leeds fan or vice versa just does not make a bit of sense to me

C'mon Des, don't leave us hanging like that!

kryogen wrote: »
    Name and shame please.

Being a United fan and a Leeds fan or vice versa just does not make a bit of sense to me
    C'mon Des, don't leave us hanging like that!

No, the person wouldn't be a person who'd I'd have any kind of friendly relationship with, so it wouldn't be fair to do that, in fact, it's against Boards.ie rules to "out" someone, to disclose information that would reveal who they are, if they wish to remain anonymous.

No, the person wouldn't be a person who'd I'd have any kind of friendly relationship with, so it wouldn't be fair to do that, in fact, it's against Boards.ie rules to "out" someone, to disclose information that would reveal who they are, if they wish to remain anonymous.

A person you wouldn't have any kind of friendly relationship with hardly narrows it down :D

Fair enough though, I can think of some ways around the rules but it is not exactly worth it really :)

A person you wouldn't have any kind of friendly relationship with hardly narrows it down :D

What, I'm a very popular guy. :) Look at all my thanks!

I meant it's not someone I know in real life and would have "banter" with (I hate that word by the way). Like a Mr Alan, or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Fair enough though, I can think of some ways around the rules but it is not exactly worth it really :)

Its you Kryogen, its always been you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Name and shame please.

It's Keno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you were as good as to tell your own Supporters to go to Tolka every week rather then showing up at Cup finals maybe you could have a decent crowd now and then

In all fairness a lot of those were family members and what not, there was a group of about 20 girls who knew one of the players and it was their firt Shels match, our keeper had a mountain of family and friends and our 3rd choice even had family and friends at it, so times that by about 20+ players and you'll realise most went to see their mate or family member win a trophy.
    You seem to be implying that fans who support a team from a country other than their own may not be as passionate as the supporters from the country where their team is situated. If this is so you are wrong.

Selective reading, read my comment again, I said people who go to matches are more connected, I even used a Man Utd season ticket holder from Ireland as an explain.
    I'm a Liverpool fan, but I disagree strongly. How can someone not from an area, with little or no connection to that area, who goes to a handful of games a season be a more passionate supporter then some who's community the club represents, who goes regularly and who has grown up in the city right in the middle of the local atmosphere

As I said, I'm a Liverpool fan but I'm from Ireland. I've cousins and friends in Liverpool an go over a few times a year, but Liverpool is just that, somewhere I go a few times a year, it's not home.

There is no way I could genuinely feel as passionately about the club as someone who grew up in the area does. Locals support the club because its their club, in their city, it makes sense. Most people over here choose their english club on the basis of who everyone else in their school, or their da's school or older brothers school was supporting

To suggest that someone with no tangible connection to an area can support a club that represents that area as passionately as someone who's community is represented by that club is neglecting the sense of tribalism in football and the extent of the sentiment of the club representing the city, a city that isn't your own.

I'm not saying you can't support a club from a different city, I do it myself. Just that you can never have the connection to the club that locals do

Great post.
    I'm excited as f**k about Sunday

I get excited about going to the pub aswell...

What a stupid argument.

• Advertisement

In all fairness a lot of those were family members and what not, there was a group of about 20 girls who knew one of the players and it was their firt Shels match, our keeper had a mountain of family and friends and our 3rd choice even had family and friends at it, so times that by about 20+ players and you'll realise most went to see their mate or family member win a trophy.

And.

My mother, my sister, my wife, my dad, my brother's fiancée and my sisters fella all came. 6 people all attending the match who wouldn't normally go (7 if you include me, before Gav starts :)).

I'd say there were a few more like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

And.

My mother, my sister, my wife, my dad, my brother's fiancée and my sisters fella all came. 6 people all attending the match who wouldn't normally go (7 if you include me, before Gav starts :)).

I'd say there were a few more like that.

I am not related to anyone, who played for Shels, plays for Shels or supports Shels. Am I still allowed to come back to Tolka? ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I am not related to anyone, who played for Shels, plays for Shels or supports Shels. Am I still allowed to come back to Tolka? ;)

Of course!

Of course!

Cool :cool:

But seriously, I heard a few times in the Bar, that Shels are a family club, I felt a bit like a stranger in the first place...but after enjoying the match last Friday on the New Stand, things have changed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What is a "family club"?

I'm excited as f**k about Sunday

I get excited about going to the pub aswell...
    logo.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No it's not.

Load of bollox tbh.

In fairness comparing films or music is a pretty poor comparison. Supporting a team, actually sport in general, and location is connected in a much bigger way than films or music would be.

I'm not saying you can only support a team from where your from, but I think using the 'other walks of life' argument is dated and nonsensical IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I can guarantee you I'm as passionate if not more about Manchester United as you are about Rovers.

I've only ever been to Old Trafford a handful of times and have not been at all in years.
    You don't even begin to understand what passion is when it comes to supporting a football club.

Your 'passion' is as fake as your connection to your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

You can't feel the same connection to a place that you're not from or don't live in. It's impossible. Until you experience supporting a local club seriously then you won't know what you're missing, simple as. Not an LOI fan, nor an EPL/SPL fan, in fact I don't support any professional/semi soccer teams but I support many other sports very seriously. Use the head lads if you're from Dublin you're not gonna feel the shame of losing to City that a Utd fan from Manchester would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Came across to lads over the years that changed their teams since i had done my leaving cert with them.

One guy was a big Everton fan, hadn't seen him for years then started a new job where he worked. Couldnt believe my eyes when i saw him wearing Manchester United jersey. Needless to say i outed him :pac:

The second guy was changed from Liverpool to Arsenal, was around May 1989 i think ;)

What is a "family club"?

I suppose, the supporters feel like a family, because there are not too many 'supporters' who only turn up, when the club is successful, but turn their back in bad times

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You don't even begin to understand what passion is when it comes to supporting a football club.

Your 'passion' is as fake as your connection to your club.
    So you know me yea??
    Just because I don't stand in a dilapated converted cow-shed watching second rate "semi-professionals" run around on a Friday night means I don't have a passion for the club I support???

That's the greatest crock of shìt I've read on here in quite a while and that takes some doing

I grew up supporting Home Farm.
    The reason I supported them was because I had family living yards from the ground.
    I didn't live there or have any other connection to the place yet it would probably make me a "real fan" by your criteria.

Your criteria is flawed bollox btw.
    If that was the case I should only be supporting my local Leinster Senior League club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Came across to lads over the years that changed their teams since i had done my leaving cert with them.

One guy was a big Everton fan, hadn't seen him for years then started a new job where he worked. Couldnt believe my eyes when i saw him wearing Manchester United jersey. Needless to say i outed him :pac:

The second guy was changed from Liverpool to Arsenal, was around May 1989 i think ;)

Where did he live? Think we may have the same guy?

So you know me yea??
    Just because I don't stand in a dilapated converted cow-shed watching second rate "semi-professionals" run around on a Friday night means I don't have a passion for the club I support???

That's the greatest crock of shìt I've read on here in quite a while and that takes some doing

The reason I supported them was because I had family living yards from the ground.
    I didn't live there or have any other connection to the place yet it would probably make me a "real fan" by your criteria.

If that was the case I should only be supporting my local Leinster Senior League club.

the reason they are second rate professionals and the stands are cowsheds is because people don't support LOI.

froog wrote: »
    So you know me yea??

the reason they are second rate professionals and the stands are cowsheds is because people don't support LOI.
    Well it is shìte in fairness.
    But sure what ya gonna do?We would all be jumping on a bandwagon if we all chose to support an LOI team.
    Can't win either way with the self-righteous LOI brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Well it is shìte in fairness.
    But sure what ya gonna do?We would all be jumping on a bandwagon if we all chose to support an LOI team.
    Can't win either way with the self-righteous LOI brigade.

So you would stop supporting Utd if they became ****e?

And you realise 95% of LOI fans also follow foreign teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The cheek of some people saying they're as much a fan as someone who regularly attends games when they haven't been to one in years. No matter who the team or league.

dan1895 wrote: »
    The cheek of some people saying they're as much a fan as someone who regularly attends games when they haven't been to one in years. No matter who the team or league.

Only speaking for me now, Dortmund is not around the corner, and the Westfalenstadion is not really in walking distance either. So I can only go on a few occasions, since i won't get every matchday off from work ;)

So you know me yea??
    I don't know you personally. I do know your type.

Its not the level of team that matters at all. Manchester United have some genuine fans too, I'm just saying that you're not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Mate of mine supported a mid-table English team from the Midlands (you can guess) until the day after United won the Treble in '99. He was 22 years of age.

None of us take his opinions on football seriously now, and he frequently becomes a scapegoat when there's banter to be had :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

When I was younger, I supported Man Utd because it was the norm but I was sick of them winning everything. So between the ages of 8-10 I tried to pick a team to support. I tried to support Leeds for awhile and then randomly Millwall because I heard they were hated by everyone. Anyway, My two older brothers supported Spurs* and I wanted to be different but I went to Spurs vs Villa back in 2002 and I loved it so I've stuck with Spurs ever since! Best decision I've ever made ;)

* going back to what I said earlier, this will give you's a laugh. My oldest brother has supported Spurs since the early 80s, then my other older brother (Shane) copied him and also supported Spurs. About 7-8 years ago, Shane realised he never actually supported Spurs (simply because we never win anything) and decided to support Liverpool because of the "Irish connection". He came home after work with a Liverpool jersey and all. Two weeks later, he has stopped supporting Liverpool and actually supports Man United because he has "secretly" always supported them. Now to be fair, he has stuck with them since that decision and has gone to plenty of home and away games but since that decision myself and my other brother can't take him seriously and can you blame us!? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

markesmith wrote: »
    Mate of mine supported a mid-table English team from the Midlands (you can guess) until the day after United won the Treble in '99. He was 22 years of age.

None of us take his opinions on football seriously now, and he frequently becomes a scapegoat when there's banter to be had :cool:

"Fans" like that deserve all the stick they get.

dan1895 wrote: »

I do believe that nobody is thinking about the children here.

What about people who "come late" to football?

A mate of mine, growing up, was one of the weird lads in school, all long hair, doobies and The Doors, not much into the sports at all.

Rocked up to the boozer on the night of the 99 CL Final in that blue and white jersey with the old players names in the pattern, and announced he was now a Manchester United fan.

Has never been to OT, and doesn't really have much interest in organising a trip himself either, sure, if the lads organised something he'd tag along, but if it meant interfering with something else he'd be doing, he wouldn't go.

He makes sure to have his days off worked around the CL and Sunday games, he can't get saturdays off very often, but he's off tonight for example, down the mates house, jersey on and roaring at the TV and generally engaging in the "banter" - this is a fairly normal group of lads, couple of United fans, couple of Pool fans, Chelsea and City are also represented.

Now he has a tough time talking about times past, and incidents and goals and old players, but that doesn't phase him. He doesn't quite grasp all the rules, the intricicies of tactics or very much care about them. He's your typical "Sky Sports News" kind of fella, the stories they have on there are the ones he knows about. He'd be destroyed on this forum, wouldn't be able for it.

But he knows all of this, the only reason he watches football is because after years of sitting in the pub with the lads, he eventually got to the stage where it was "if you can't beat them join them", and he embraced it.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I don't know you personally. I do know your type.

Its not the level of team that matters at all. Manchester United have some genuine fans too, I'm just saying that you're not one of them.
    Ok you got me,I shall never speak of them again :rolleyes:

Ok you got me,I shall never speak of them again :rolleyes:
    The team you're supposed to be passionate about are about to kick off and you're on boards.ie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

markesmith wrote: »

Not many people take man u fans views seriously anyway.
    Most of them think, "I support a team that wins all the time,so my opinion is most valid" , majority of them talk **** and give the knowledgeable ones a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It happens and you can be sure there's a few in here.

No way anyone will admit it though.

I know a guy who was a Villa fan when we were in school. Now a Utd fan.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I have a cousin who supported Leeds until he was about 11 or 12, his Dad is a huge Leeds fan, Yorkshire born, goes over 3 or 4 times a year.

Anyway, cousin comes home one day and says hes supporting Man Utd, hes lost interest in Leeds and his Dad laughs it off until he notices him not wearing the jersey and not watching Leeds games after a few weeks. 14 years later he still follows Man Utd but never understood why he changed.

The fight becomes too much for some people, and they bolt for the winner's enclosure. I can't say I blame them - why not take the easy road for entertainment's sake?

I'll say this much though - eventually getting there after years of relative pain and suffering (there are always clubs worse off than yours) is the sweetness. That night in Istanbul (the whole run really was justice).
    bohsman wrote:
    Was a Man U fan when I was a kid, started going to Bohs games when I was 16 or so, still have a soft spot for Utd but don't really care if they win or lose.

The anti - Liverpool part of the equation stuck though huh? ;)

Justice for what? Afair ye didn't get gipped any reason (might be before my time though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Also knew a guy who was a huge Fulham fan till he was about 14 or 15 and just switched to Liverpool.

I know someone like that but the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

And who made you an authority on what makes a real fan??
    I can guarantee you I'm as passionate if not more about Manchester United as you are about Rovers.
    It dominates my topics of conversation in work,with friends etc.
    Results can affect my mood for days.
    I'm excited as f**k about Sunday and I could be like a demon for the following week or in top form and slagging off my mates and workmates.
    I've only ever been to Old Trafford a handful of times and have not been at all in years.

So anyone that wants to preach about what makes a real fan can f**k right off as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know you so I won't pretend to know how passionate you are about Utd.

But if you are anything like most Utd. fans, you picked them because an older brother/your dad/the rest of your class "supported" them. So your "passion" for them, is an invented passion. You have absolutely no reason to be passionate about them.

Picking a team at random and deciding to support them can not even begin to compare with supporting the team from your local area, a team that represents you.

But enjoy calling your workmates scouse bastards on Monday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

To suggest that someone with no tangible connection to an area can support a club that represents that area as passionately as someone who's community is represented by that club is neglecting the sense of tribalism in football and the extent of the sentiment of the club representing the city, a city that isn't your own.

Ireland isn't the only country in the world where the primary football culture is watching matches on tv. Considering this news report, I don't fancy being the one to tell them they're not passionate about the teams they support.
    Nigeria: 1 killed as Barca, Chelsea fans clash in Lagos, 2 die celebrating

Lagos, Nigeria - One football fan was killed at a drinking joint in Nigeria's commercial city of Lagos Tuesday night following clashes between supporters of English club Chelsea and Spanish giant Barcelona in the semi-final of the European Champions League.

According to the private Punch newspaper on Thursday, the fan, identified as a John Idoko, 23, was stabbed to death with a broken bottle after arguments degenerated into a brawl.

The paper said two other fans died after the vehicle in which they were riding - in celebration of Chelsea's victory - overturned and caught fire, incinerating them.

European football clubs have fanatical followership in Nigeria, where most fans pay little or no attention to local clubs.

http://www.afriquejet.com/nigeria-1-killed-as-barca-chelsea-fans-clash-in-lagos-2-die-celebrating-2012042637549.html

Advertisement