Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing allegiances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

markesmith wrote: »
    You haven't met some of my mates so :pac:

They need to stop feasting on past glories. De Niro has been rubbish for years now. I bet they're Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    They need to stop feasting on past glories. De Niro has been rubbish for years now. I bet they're Liverpool fans.

Hibs fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Joekers wrote: »
    Maybe more could have been done to entice the local kids into going to the game, they could have been given out free tickets for local school kids or the odd evening open training session where the kids can join in etc

It's grand for clubs like Shamrock Rovers, Pats and a few others who have players who are employed as "professional" players so there's free time, time to promote in schools and whatnot. In order to promote you need volunteers tbh, the handful of people behind Kilkenny probably didn't have a free second of time.
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    He puts up on his Facebook from time to time of how he loves them, "we're gonna win the league" "MCFC champions" and all that.

I know it was a wind up, but I F*CKING hate tools that do a running commentary of matches, "Go on Carrick", "Nani you muppet", along with many many others clogged my Newsfeed last night, like seriously!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Well it is shìte in fairness.
    But sure what ya gonna do?We would all be jumping on a bandwagon if we all chose to support an LOI team.
    Can't win either way with the self-righteous LOI brigade.

Why would anyone consider having a decent argument with you when you come out with ****e like that? There is such thing as a good argument, however when your that dismissive and obviously have no clue what your talking about regarding cow sheds, semi pro football etc etc then it's pointless.

Love how you mention a bandwagon in regards to LOI, probably the one thing LOI doesn't have is a 'bandwagon'. If there was, we'd have more in the gate and less pressure on clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Corholio wrote: »
    Why would anyone consider having a decent argument with you when you come out with ****e like that? There is such thing as a good argument, however when your that dismissive and obviously have no clue what your talking about regarding cow sheds, semi pro football etc etc then it's pointless.

Love how you mention a bandwagon in regards to LOI, probably the one thing LOI doesn't have is a 'bandwagon'. If there was, we'd have more in the gate and less pressure on clubs.
    Some of my posts in this thread were childish and stupid.
    If people are going to be assholes about something so am I in defending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

markesmith wrote: »
    Well, why can't we do both? Why can't I go and watch Salthill Devon or Mervue United, and then go abroad and watch Spurs, and look for their results, and watch their games on TV?

I really don't see the issue here. It's this type of elitism that stops a lot of casual fans from engaging in the LOI. That and the often-appalling standard of football.

That's all that any LOI fan wants. Would be delighted to see everyone in Dalymount for a game on Friday and back in the club bars on Saturday and Sunday to watch the EPL and La Liga. Not sure what is so elitist about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was an aston villa fan up till i was about 12-13 , But stopped watching football for a few years , Was at me dads then one day and he had arsenal on the box , Wenger was in the job a couple of months i think , and i couldn't get over the style of there football ,made me fall in love with football all over again stil have a soft spot for villa but im a gooner now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

What ever about supporting domestic or foreign clubs, anyone comparing supporting a football club to liking certain music or films simply does not understand the concept of what it is to be a supporter, be that a season ticket holder at tolka park or an e-season ticket holder on www.liverpoolfc.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This LOI vs EPL ****e that's comes up every few weeks is very annoying and it's ruining this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Actually I now see the attraction of watching football on TV.
    Sitting in front of the fire, with a can watching the Rovers match now, from where I live (kind of ironically) 200 metres from Old Trafford.

Would hate to be in Bray right now, I'd be cold and not have a beer in my hand.
    Being able to watch games on TV every week and not actually have to go to live games is great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

srfc19 wrote: »
    Actually I now see the attraction of watching football on TV.
    Sitting in front of the fire, with a can watching the Rovers match now, from where I live (kind of ironically) 200 metres from Old Trafford.

Would hate to be in Bray right now, I'd be cold and not have a beer in my hand.
    Being able to watch games on TV every week and not actually have to go to live games is great.

Barstooler :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Being truthful I have really fallen out of love with Liverpool. Hodgson was shafted. Torres was pretty much forced out by an impatient fanbase who then took joy in his less than successful Chelsea career. Dalglish in his second coming was an embarassment, not just for his results but in terms of his interviews and general rubbish he came out with. Suarez is an arsehole. All in all the above behaviour was a bit too Man Utd like for me, and I always backed Liverpool as to me they seemed to be everything that United and its fans were not. I might get back into it eventually (I suppose living out here watching them consistently is big ask)

I knew at least one lad who switched from Leeds to Man U after they were relegated :eek: I knew another lad who backed England over Ireland purely because England usully qualify and have a better chance of winning a title in his lifetime than we do. 100% Irish born bred and parents, he has the jerseys, been to away matches and tournaments. He is a twat in general even besides all this.

Needless to say, he is also a United fan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wait, what exactly is the difference between Man United and Liverpool fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Renn wrote: »

Unfortunately, not as much as there used to be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The amount of dust on the trophies

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »

That's the problem with having all those big (and real I should add) European cups. Such a large surface area that allows dust to gather :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That's the problem with having all those big (and real I should add) European cups. Such a large surface area that allows dust to gather :pac:

Should ancient artefacts like that not be kept in a museum at this stage? They'll keep them dusted for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Should ancient artefacts like that not be kept in a museum at this stage? They'll keep them dusted for ye.
    Surely the trophy case at Anfield is considered a museum at this stage.

Quote=Felexicon;80892468]
    Surely the trophy case at Anfield is considered a museum at this stage.[/Quote]

Most clubs do display their trophies in their museum regardless of when won

The only club I know of that don't are Celtic as there's not a museum in Celtic Park, they're all in the board room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

niallo27 wrote: »
    This LOI vs EPL ****e that's comes up every few weeks is very annoying and it's ruining this forum.

It's one thread. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

niallo27 wrote: »

And the LFC -v- MUFC stuff is so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Been a Chelsea fan all my life (since I was 2 years old), but get really annoyed when people just assume that I am probably a fan that changed over after Roman bought the club.

So in a way, I kind of resent those glory hunting fans, despite them being fellow Chelsea fans.

Been a Chelsea fan all my life (since I was 2 years old), but get really annoyed when people just assume that I am probably a fan that changed over after Roman bought the club.

So in a way, I kind of resent those glory hunting fans, despite them being fellow Chelsea fans.

:rolleyes:

This thread is just ridiculous. Some people's statements about supporting clubs across the water and reasons are just retarded.

SantryRed wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

This thread is just ridiculous. Some people's statements about supporting clubs across the water and reasons are just retarded.

I didnt give my reason?

My father is from west London, lived there and was a Chelsea fan, now passed on to me!

Is that retarded?

I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I didnt give my reason?

My father is from west London, lived there and was a Chelsea fan, now passed on to me!

Is that retarded?

I dont think so.

Don't even rise to it man.

Sure according to some of these lads the only team I should be passionate about is Greenhills Boys F.C. because they were closest to where I grew up.

Sure according to some of these lads the only team I should be passionate about is Greenhills Boys F.C. because they were closest to where I grew up.

I know its ridiculous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

I know its ridiculous..

That's it exactly :rolleyes:

Felexicon wrote: »

Good thing they don't let the fans keep the trophies so.

So once again, the difference between the two sets of fans? Because I think we all know this is the reality:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

srfc19 wrote: »
    So a real fan then you mean?

Thats the problem with Irish football "fans".

Buying a jersey a year and going to a game every three years does not a fan make.

Just seeing this now in my stats-apologies for lateness back to thread.

I was merely stating how ridiculous the lad I know who supported Leeds changed the minute they went down. The fact that he had the jersey clearly didn't show he was a real fan, as this was proven by the fact that he jumped ship immediately.

You used my innocuous post to go on a rant about fan credibility. This is so infuriating, as commented by the lad who took you up on this post- who made you the authority on 'real' fans?

As a side-note, owning a jersey is not what makes a fan, nor did I say this. Way to overreact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Been a Liverpool all my life, will never change. Tried to get into Galway United because Terryland is on my doorstep, but the quality of football was horrific and the club was run by clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Been a Liverpool all my life, will never change. Tried to get into Galway United because Terryland is on my doorstep, but the quality of football was horrific and the club was run by clowns.
    In fairness you couldn't blame a Barca/Real fan who lives in Liverpool for using the same analogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah yeah, sure ya couldn't be seen supporting a bad team. That'd be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    In fairness you couldn't blame a Barca/Real fan who lives in Liverpool for using the same analogy

frabz-watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-32ffcc.jpg

So why didn't you stop supporting Liverpool under the Hicks and Gillette/Hodgson era? Retarded statement :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's not a retarded statement. If your trying to get into something new and you find it brutal you won't stick with it for long and majority of people would be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I don't really understand the LOI gremlins tbh.

The beauty of football is that you can be a fan of literally whoever you want without any real reason, I support Chelsea because they are my team.

Bray Wanderers are about 5 minutes away but I have no intention of going to their games, because I support Chelsea not Bray.

The beauty of football is that you can be a fan of literally whoever you want without any real reason.
    Thats the beauty of football, that? Really?

CSF wrote: »
    Thats the beauty of football, that? Really?

yup

yup

Wrong

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Wrong

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

A friend of mine picks a different team every year. Bearing in mind, it is usually to follow the performance of an Irish player or manager so it is never a big name that you would have to worry about.

He is an Ireland fan I suppose, for his sins and worships given and keane which gave him a very varied diet of football teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I was in Tallaght last night to see my team Dundalk FC lose 7-0 to Shamrock Rovers. Did I think of changing clubs once during that 90 minutes? Did I f.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I was in Tallaght last night to see my team Dundalk FC lose 7-0 to Shamrock Rovers. Did I think of changing clubs once during that 90 minutes? Did I f.....
    I also fail to see how you could change clubs because they are going through a bad patch.
    What a lot of people do, though, is chuck it in until the good times come back - not real supporters, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't really understand the LOI gremlins tbh.

The beauty of football is that you can be a fan of literally whoever you want without any real reason, I support Chelsea because they are my team.

Bray Wanderers are about 5 minutes away but I have no intention of going to their games, because I support Chelsea not Bray.

Without any real reason?? Are you serious? This is a very depressing attitude. These are not the words of a football club's fan. I find that very disrespectful to supporters who have very good reasons for supporting their teams, be it locale, history or other... but without any real reason!?

Sorry, I have to sit down for a minute and try to get my head around this post...

Well most reasons are because someone's dad supported them, no? So that falls nicely into the 'without any real reason' category.

• Advertisement

Well most reasons are because someone's dad supported them, no? So that falls nicely into the 'without any real reason' category.
    No I would wager the club being local is the most common reason. Perhaps not in Ireland, but worldwide by a mile.

CSF wrote: »
    No I would wager the club being local is the most common reason. Perhaps not in Ireland, but worldwide by a mile.

That's outrageously wrong. In teams with strong leagues(Italy, Germany, England, Spain etc.) yes,the rest of the world no. You're trying to tell me more people support Shanghai than Man United in China?

So it's passed onto you and you grow up with it? Sounds like more of a reason (even though it can be a thin one at times, granted) to me more than just arbitrarily picking who you want because ''that's football''. I would suggest that that's anti-football, tbh. Football should be about communities and clubs pitting their best against each other. It should be about bragging rights over your neighbours just as much as winning. I find that's lost on a hell of a lot of people in this country when it comes to Fussball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Omackeral wrote: »
    So it's passed onto you and you grow up with it? Sounds like more of a reason (even though it can be a thin one at times, granted) to me more than just arbitrarily picking who you want because ''that's football''. I would suggest that that's anti-football, tbh. Football should be about communities and clubs pitting their best against each other. It should be about bragging rights over your neighbours just as much as winning. I find that's lost on a hell of a lot of people in this country when it comes to Fussball.

But most people dont support their local team. I am including LOI fans here.

But most people dont support their local team. I am including LOI fans here.

That's why it I said should.

• Advertisement
Advertisement