Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing allegiances

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's why it I said should.

Well thats fair enough then.

But there are plenty of negatives to that theory too and it dont need no scientist to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I supported Liverpool in the 80's, then arsenal for a year, started supporting utd in 92 for few years, followed Blackburn for a year then back to utd. Changed to Arsenal then when they won the double. After that i went back to Utd then Chelsea when they got money. Went back to Utd when they got better. Started following City in the last minute of last season. Right now i am a Chelsea fan although that could change next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

That's why it I said should.

There is no should. People can support whoever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I also fail to see how you could change clubs because they are going through a bad patch.
    What a lot of people do, though, is chuck it in until the good times come back - not real supporters, in my view.

I do understand what you're saying but very often there can be more to it. It's often not as simple as black and white. Take Rovers for example. I've been supporting them since I was taken to my first game in milltown. Everyone knows the story there but there was a period through a combination of things such as a lot of work travel, family things and a sheer hatred for those in charge that were ruining the club. I like many stayed away for a couple of years. Now that's not to say I fully stayed away. I have been one of the few hundred standing in Tolka park. When the change of ownership happened the exile/protest ended and I gratefully returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There is no should. People can support whoever they want.

Well depends what you mean by support. Difference between looking out for a team and supporting one. People can follow whoever they want in the world, sure. But actively support, nah I don't think so. How's a chap from Shanghai (to use your earlier argument) gonna support Man United as much as a Mancunian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Well depends what you mean by support. Difference between looking out for a team and supporting one. People can follow whoever they want in the world, sure. But actively support, nah I don't think so. How's a chap from Shanghai (to use your earlier argument) gonna support Man United as much as a Mancunian?

By going to City games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I supported Liverpool in the 80's, then arsenal for a year, started supporting utd in 92 for few years, followed Blackburn for a year then back to utd. Changed to Arsenal then when they won the double. After that i went back to Utd then Chelsea when they got money. Went back to Utd when they got better. Started following City in the last minute of last season. Right now i am a Chelsea fan although that could change next week.

What did you have against Leeds? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What did you have against Leeds? :(
    Dirty Leeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Been a Limerick fan since I was about 10. My brother was a Liverpool fan, so I was a Man United fan, jus to be the opposite. Our father, who had been a Cork Celtic fan until their bitter end, said "f**k that" and took us off to Rathbane, where Limerick played at the time.

The speed with which we forgot our previous teams was amazing.

When I moved to Japan, I lived in Matsumoto for a year, and started supporting Matsumoto Yamaga FC, who then played in about the 5th tier of Japanese football - it was a regional league. After a year, I moved to Yokohama and started going to Yokohama FC games, who were at that time in J2 - the second and bottom tier of the national league.

For a time, I supported both, as there were a couple of divisions between them and the notion of Matsumoto ever making the J-League seemed remote in the extreme, but Matsumoto are now J2 also, and I had to choose - so I chose Yokohama FC, as they'd come to mean more to me over a few seasons of watching them.

So I guess I'm guilty of changing allegiance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »
    No I would wager the club being local is the most common reason. Perhaps not in Ireland, but worldwide by a mile.

That's outrageously wrong. In teams with strong leagues(Italy, Germany, England, Spain etc.) yes,the rest of the world no. You're trying to tell me more people support Shanghai than Man United in China?
    Perhaps not china or Africa but in Europe most definitely. As much countries like Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Greece as the superstar leagues you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

osarusan wrote: »
    Been a Limerick fan since I was about 10. My brother was a Liverpool fan, so I was a Man United fan, jus to be the opposite. Our father, who had been a Cork Celtic fan until their bitter end, said "f**k that" and took us off to Rathbane, where Limerick played at the time.

The speed with which we forgot our previous teams was amazing.

When I moved to Japan, I lived in Matsumoto for a year, and started supporting Matsumoto Yamaga FC, who then played in about the 5th tier of Japanese football - it was a regional league. After a year, I moved to Yokohama and started going to Yokohama FC games, who were at that time in J2 - the second and bottom tier of the national league.

For a time, I supported both, as there were a couple of divisions between them and the notion of Matsumoto ever making the J-League seemed remote in the extreme, but Matsumoto are now J2 also, and I had to choose - so I chose Yokohama FC, as they'd come to mean more to me over a few seasons of watching them.

So I guess I'm guilty of changing allegiance.

At least this makes sense and you went to the games, not just randomly picking teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My brothers when in Primary school (20+ yrs ago) supported Man Utd/Villa....

In their late teens they both switched to follow City like my Dad who has been a Man City fan since the 50's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A guy in school years ago went from being a mod to a rocker pratcially over night

Advertisement