Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimated bills resulting in low usage charge

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

My last three bills were estimated and I was paying that extra charge for consuming less.

I sent a reading and received a new bill a couple of days later as the previous three bills had in fact been underestimated.

Hence I should not have paid the low usage charge but that wasn't deducted from the last bill I got, only the missing units were charged.

How can I get my money back?

Many thanks,

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi David,

What I can do is check to see if the re-estimations of your usage resulted in it being distributed realistically over the past few months, and if the average usage is greater than 120 units per billing period I should be able to have the low user standing charges reversed. I would just need you to send your account details, incl. your contact no. or date of birth for data protection, via private message.

In general when you receive an estimated reading it is best to submit an actual reading as soon as possible, so the bill can then be re-issued. We offer customers a number of ways to submit meter readings; online, by phone, or via our Meter Reading App.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭angelmusicgirl

Hi,

The same thing has occurred on my updated bill. I find it very strange that instead of redoing my bill with my readings that Ei just add their estimated bill to my meter readings. As this means I was charge VAT twice and my standing charge was at the low usage rate even though I was over the 120 mark. Is there anyway I can this reversed?

Best wishes,
    Aisling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi angelmusicgirl,

I would need to have a look at the account to see exactly what has happened. On a general note, you would never be charged VAT twice on any invoice amounts; I should be able to clear all this up if you PM me the following info:
    • Your full name, address and account number
    • Your contact number or date of birth (for account security)
    Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭angelmusicgirl

Have PM you David.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Uatstau

I am not sure whether this is a scam to make money, or just incompetence, but here's my story and the final resolution in case it helps someone else.

In the winter I use about 300 units per 2 months (~60 days); in the summer 200 units.  
    The last bill (first of the summer) was an estimate for 300 units.  I paid it.  The current bill was a reading claiming I used 100 units and charging me this 'Low usage' fine because I was under 2 units/day.

I emailed a query, on the basis that over the 4 months since the meter was read, I had used 400 units, and therefore their intermediate estimate was wrong.

They replied saying they had averaged over the 4 months and I had used less than 2 units.   This was factually wrong.  Somebody can't add - it's not that difficult a calculation.

I emailed again pointing out that averaged over 4 months I had not used <2 units/day.

I was then told that because I used < 2units per day in the latest billing period, the charge was correct, and next time I should read my own meter. 

Then I phoned them.  This time there was a different story.  After some initial quibbles about the estimate, they agreed that my usage in the summer (as demonstrate in previous years) was lower.  However, because I have a dual meter that applies a different rate to day and night, I was told that I needed to use 2 units/day ON EACH METER.  i.e. 4 units/ day, to avoid the Low usage fine.

I took this at face value, rang off, and checked the Terms and Conditions where it says the low usage fine is  "[font=arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif]Applicable only to customers who use on average 2kWh or less of electricity per day".  [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif]Phone back.  Different person.  Same line.  Except this time they 'checked with their supervisor'.  I have to use 4 units/day.[/font]

So I ask to speak to the supervisor.

And then it was ok.  I had been overcharged and a correction would be applied.

But this took three emails, research, and 30 minutes on the phone.....

So if you are in a similar position:
    - expect that the person you are dealing has only been trained to placate you, emphasise that they are right, and take your money.  I am not sure whether this 'you must use 4 units' was a deliberate lie (I got it from two people) or just ignorance.

Also, it is clear to me that this estimate business is a scam that most people don't pick up on, and so the electricity company is making out like a bandit.  It is not too difficult to program the computer generating the bills, to take account of estimates.  This used to be the case (I got a bill like this in 2012).  But this feature has now been removed.  So only if you complain and waste your own time, will a correction be made.  I consider this devious.  

Time to change to a different energy provider.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Uatstau,

Sorry to read of your unhappiness with how your query was dealt with. Detailed info regarding the low usage standing charge here: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/price-plans/low-user-standing-charge.jsp

With regards to estimates: ESB Networks has a plan to read each meter four times per year (for all suppliers) and the remaining two bills are based on estimates. On receipt of an estimated bill, customers can submit an actual reading immediately, in order to replace the estimated bill with an accurate one. There is a number of ways to submit a meter reading - see here and details of our meter-reading app here. We can also take a meter reading by private message here on Boards.ie. If a customer does not submit a reading and pays an estimated bill, the difference will be accounted for in their next bill based on a reading.

If ESB Networks does not carry out the four annual readings, it is usually because of inaccessibility of the meter.

I have forwarded your feedback above to the relevant department and if there is anything you would like us to have a look at on your account, do private message us your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address and the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi Una, 
    From your link here:
    https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/price-plans/low-user-standing-charge.jsp

there is no mention of the 4k per day, but her in the subsequent link

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/price-plans/low-user-standing-charge.jsp#ex-q11

It states:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The charge will only apply to a minority of customers who use an average of 2 units (2kWhs) or less per day in any billing period (typically 61 days). Standing Charges will be increased by 15.5 cent (incl. VAT) per day or €9.45 (incl. VAT) per two monthly bill.[/font]

Would you agree that the 2kw is per customer and not per customers meter. 

Also if the limit is 2kw per day per account, could you give assurances that staff training will take place as this is not common knowledge among accounts CS operators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi wmpdd3,

Apologies for any confusion.

I can confirm it is two units every 24 hours, rather than two day units and two night units. It can be two day units and zero night units or vice-versa, or it can be one of each. If the average usage over the two-month (approx.) billing period is two units or more per day, the low usage standing charge is not applicable.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement