Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aptitude Test

• 18-09-2012 1:32pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've got one for a job this afternoon. Don't think I've sat one since secondary school. Not really sure how to prepare but sure I'll give it a bash. This is a pre-interview test. Seems like it's only getting more difficult to get a job these days. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

iamstop wrote: »
    I've got one for a job this afternoon. Don't think I've sat one since secondary school. Not really sure how to prepare but sure I'll give it a bash. This is a pre-interview test. Seems like it's only getting more difficult to get a job these days. :(

You can't prepare for an apptitute test sadly.

I did one for my job about 5 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You can't really prepare for one. It'll be grand, they just want to make sure that you're not simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did one for my job about 5 years ago

Suppose its all relevant. I mean if he's sitting an aptitude test for a job in Tesco he's probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think they're common enough in jobs that require you to be reasonably numerate but don't necessarily require qualifications which would prove you are numerate.

Just keep an eye on the clock and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

humbert wrote: »
    I think they're common enough in jobs that require you to be reasonably numerate but don't necessarily require qualifications which would prove you are numerate.

Just keep an eye on the clock and you'll be fine.

an eye on the clock, eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yip - no better preparation for an interview than a good auld "pedal n' crank" :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I think it went ok but it seems to be all relative. 55 people did it and only 16 get to the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Prepare your brain! Get Dr. Kawashima's brain training or something along those lines. Eat some fish oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ArseLtd wrote: »
    Prepare your brain! Get Dr. Kawashima's brain training or something along those lines. Eat some fish oil.

They come in capsules now, thank God. Fish Oil is quite possibly the most disgusting thing you can put into ones mouth. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

I done one before and I told I scored in the 99% percentile for that test. Was a long time ago now. As someone said you can't really prepare for them. Just relax and best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

They come in capsules now, thank God. Fish Oil is quite possibly the most disgusting thing you can put into ones mouth. Period.

How is period good for your brain???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

You can kind of prepare a little. Did they say what areas the tests are in? maths, abstract reasoning etc? If so you could download some samples to try to get you in the mode. Give you an idea of to expect and might brush out some of the cobwebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I think it went ok but it seems to be all relative. 55 people did it and only 16 get to the next phase.

Well Done! How soon before you hear any news do you know?

Best of Luck anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Is this for AIB?

If so, don't worry; If they detected any sort of activity in your head then you're through to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Is this for AIB?

If so, don't worry; If they detected any sort of activity in your head then you're through to the next round.

Don't you mean the opposite?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well Done! How soon before you hear any news do you know?

Best of Luck anyways :)

Thanks, should know by Thursday evening latest.

No, not AIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ArseLtd wrote: »
    How is period good for your brain???

Vampire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Itzy wrote: »
    You can't prepare for an apptitute test sadly.

In theory you can't. In practice, of course you can. Every one will bend after a while.

Apparently I did very well and was put in the priority category (ugh, feels like something Ryan Air would do) and got a call yesterday. I'm on to the next stage. Yay me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's great news. Well done.

There are SHL tests online you can do to practise for psychometric/aptitude tests. Loads of books out there to help as well to help prepare you but every test is fairly random, but best to prepare at least you know what to do and how to deal with a question what ever one crops up on the test.

You mainly be tested on numeracy, verbal and logical tests there are others spatial, deductive and inductive reasoning.

Advertisement