Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport in Maiden Name

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, just wondering if anyone else has experienced 'hassle' in trying to get their passport renewed in their Maiden Name. I am seperated 5 years and sent in a passport application a few back, I tried to find out in advance what documentation was needed if any to revert to my maiden name (incl. checking the boards) but information was limited and I submitted the application.

I received a call from passport office today informing me that to revert to my maiden name I needed to prove that I have been using my Maiden Name for two or more years. I have unofficially being using it but all my documents and correspondence are still in my married name, reason being is that I decided to wait until I renewed my passport - otherwise I could not prove who I was - with the bank for instance!! If I needed to go into the bank I wouldn't posess any official i.d. Also from a work perspective my employee name would not have matched my bank account etc. etc. Catch 22, in order to change everything I felt it was best to wait until I renewed my passport...however although I am legally entitled to me called by my Maiden name and although I supplied a Birth Cert, the passport office won't recognise it. I have no other option but to supply them with a copy of my Deed of Seperation, which I am furious about. It contains a lot of information that I prefer is kept confidential, nothing major, just a privacy issue for me.

I have no other option but to comply but at same time I don't feel like taking it sitting down either. I feel my constitutional right to my own name has been violated here..would be interested in hearing from anyone with some legal know how to understand if I am being irrational or indeed anyone else who has encountered the same issue.

Thanks folks..feel better already :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Phone the passport office up again and ask them what info on the deed they need. Tell them that your worried about your private info being made public. Ask them is it ok to black out the bits they don't need. If that's ok photocopy your original deed and get busy with the tipex or marker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Do you have a driving licence? It might be easier to transfer that to your maiden name so you have the photo ID to change bank accounts.

Will the passport office accept an afadavvit you can get sworn by a solicitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

This happened to my mum after her and my dad separated but the difference was everything else had been changed back to her maiden name i.e. mortgage, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. Passport office got narky when she went to renew her passport and wouldn't let her have one in her maiden name, even though she was in the system under her maiden name as she got her first passport before she got married. :confused:Whole thing turned into a saga, she had to send in Deed of Separation and loads of other things and they still said no, that she would have to wait two years. So she asked to speak to a supervisor and gave out loads when she got the supervisor on the phone, pointed out that she had never been legally obliged to change her name and mentioned contacting her solicitor over the whole thing...presto, she got the passport in her maiden name. Persistance is the key apparently!
    AFAIK you just need to bring your Deed of Separation to anywhere you want to change back to your maiden name and they have to do it.

She still hasn't changed her driving licence- she asked the guards and they told her it would be a lot of hassle and just change it when it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It's actually really easy to change drivers licence- just go to office w application for replacement licence (like for name change, address change) and document showing preferred name ie passport in maiden name. I just did mine a couple months ago, no hassle at all and totally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mberm

I changed my passport to my maiden name with no issues at all. I had been separated about 8 years at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Charm7

Sorry not a frequent user but thought I'd just say thanks. Just for anyone else that finds themselves in the same boat, I had to kick up an almighty fuss but did eventually get my passport renewed in my maiden name. I refused point blank to send in my full Deed on Separation as to me this is a highly private document that also contained information about custody & financial arrangements for my children - none of their god damn business! So unless they would give me assurances under Data Protection laws, I refused. In the end I took it to the top and agreed only to furnish the first page and signed last page of the document (no sensitive information) and I would only e-mail it directly to the Head of Department. The thing that really infuriated me was that while trying to be understanding, she kept explaining they had many people in a similar position, particularly trans-genders. If she said it once more I thought I would explode. I haven't had a sex change, I only wanted to revert to using the name I was given at birth which I believe under the law I am fully entitled to do. The issue it seems to me is a basic lack of cop on and I'm sorry but a serious public service lack of being able to think outside the box. Now I'm having same issues trying to change my bank account name..but won't bore you with the details! But for those who find themselves in the same situation, you will need to dig your heels in, but it is worth it. I am me again, I no longer am obliged to carry the name of someone else, just because good old Catholic Ireland is hanging on by its finger nails for dear life (least thats how it felt to me)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've found this thread very interesting. I'm hoping to change my passport back to my maiden name this year. My passport was the only thing I changed my name on and even at that I double barrelled. My drivers licence, bank cards etc have always been in my maiden name so fingers crossed. I'm really hoping I don't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

The passport office only needs to see an official document to link up the different surnames. So an original long form birth cert and an original civil marriage cert (or divorce papers) will do, as long as both the maiden and married name are mentioned on the latter.
    Basically they need to see documentation on how your name changed from the birth cert in the first place, to be able to revert it back.

Suppose your maiden name is White, you marry a Mr Black, get a passport in your married name, subsequently get divorced and then get married to a Mr Brown.
    You have a birth cert in White, and a passport in Black, and want a passport in Brown.
    What you need to send in then is:
    1- Your birth cert which shows your maiden name
    2- Your marriage cert or divorce papers from Mr Black (to show the link between the names White and Black)
    3- Your marriage cert for Mr Brown (to show the link between your maiden or married (Black) name and Brown.

They may require to see that you are atually using the name you wish to have your passport in, and for that you would need to provide them with two proofs with the required name mentioned, dating two years back; for example a bank statement, driving licence, utility bill, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

I would have thought the two years bit is the problem! Surely also the catch 22 is you cant get the driving licence etc in the new name as your passport is still in your old name? Thank God I'm a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There should be no problem changing back to your maiden name. Just include proof of seperation along with your original long form birth cert. the 2 year rule is usually waved in the case of divorce and separation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Charm7

Aw but you guys are forgetting that you do not have any 'official' papers per say in this country until you wait 5 years!! If you are separated you don't necessarily have anything. I happened to have legal separation so had something. If I had a divorce cert, no problem!! The state says you can't get divorced for 5 years and yet they also refuse to let me get my passport in my maiden name. Hence why me feeling like Catholic Ireland still breaths!! To be honest for me the issue here is that as a woman, I should be able to decide what name goes on my passport, I am legally entitled to both names. My marital status actually should not be a factor. It really wasn't as straight forward as outlined above. As already stated a Deed of Separation is not a certificate, it is a lengthy document and has a lot of personal/private information which very frankly I don't believe is anyone else's business. What about those who have separated, not divorced and who haven't been in a position to make it a legal separation? They are rightly stuck!! The passport office does not have a straight forward process to deal with this, it is not clear and they make it up as they go from my experience. They need to update their processes and reflect reality. But I think most of all, I believe my rights as a woman are being violated, perhaps very strong, but having being separated so long unless I put up the fight, I was effectively being forced to keep the name of a man I no longer lived with or loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 drewmichael

Wife's passport is in maiden name but expiring in summer.
    She intended to renew in married name.
    We booked a holiday in August, she used her married name for flights judging she will have new passport with married name by then.
    She booked a holiday for April and booked ticket using her current passport maiden name.
    She has to travel to US for work last minute and because he passport is expiring within 6 months she needs a new one.

If she gets it in her married name, will that impact the flight for holiday in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

She has to travel to US for work last minute and because he passport is expiring within 6 months she needs a new one.

just to say, you might already be aware, if she is travelling on ESTA she doesn't need 6 months on passport

• Registered Users Posts: 12 drewmichael

Riskymove wrote: »
    just to say, you might already be aware, if she is travelling on ESTA she doesn't need 6 months on passport

Thanks. Is that in writing anywhere? It's not 100% clear on esta website. She still thinks she needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Charm7 wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering if anyone else has experienced 'hassle' in trying to get their passport renewed in their Maiden Name. I am seperated 5 years and sent in a passport application a few back, I tried to find out in advance what documentation was needed if any to revert to my maiden name (incl. checking the boards) but information was limited and I submitted the application.

I received a call from passport office today informing me that to revert to my maiden name I needed to prove that I have been using my Maiden Name for two or more years. I have unofficially being using it but all my documents and correspondence are still in my married name, reason being is that I decided to wait until I renewed my passport - otherwise I could not prove who I was - with the bank for instance!! If I needed to go into the bank I wouldn't posess any official i.d. Also from a work perspective my employee name would not have matched my bank account etc. etc. Catch 22, in order to change everything I felt it was best to wait until I renewed my passport...however although I am legally entitled to me called by my Maiden name and although I supplied a Birth Cert, the passport office won't recognise it. I have no other option but to supply them with a copy of my Deed of Seperation, which I am furious about. It contains a lot of information that I prefer is kept confidential, nothing major, just a privacy issue for me.

I have no other option but to comply but at same time I don't feel like taking it sitting down either. I feel my constitutional right to my own name has been violated here..would be interested in hearing from anyone with some legal know how to understand if I am being irrational or indeed anyone else who has encountered the same issue.

Thanks folks..feel better already :-)

Don't know what you mean by Deed of Seperation but will the passport office not accept your divorce certificate? Don't understand why you're "furious" about having to submit divorce papers, as these are official state documents which prove the divorce took place. I'm afraid you'll just have to bite the bullet and submit these papers to the passport office.

There's a lot worse private information which the passport office already have, eg your birth cert and photo by the way, so them having your divorce Seperation details is the least of your concerns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean by Deed of Seperation but will the passport office not accept your divorce certificate? Don't understand why you're "furious" about having to submit divorce papers, as these are official state documents which prove the divorce took place. I'm afraid you'll just have to bite the bullet and submit these papers to the passport office.

There's a lot worse private information which the passport office already have, eg your birth cert and photo by the way, so them having your divorce Seperation details is the least of your concerns

The person you're replying to posted that 5 years ago and hasn't been online since.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/
    United States
    Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date. And you must also get an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) under the Visa Waiver Programme for entry into the United States.

Thanks. Is that in writing anywhere? It's not 100% clear on esta website. She still thinks she needs it

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizen...erseas-travel/

Quote:
    United States
    Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date. And you must also get an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) under the Visa Waiver Programme for entry into the United States.

Advertisement