Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Millionaire Galway episode

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see Hidden Millionaire programme set in Galway last night?

if you were living on welfare would you be able to afford to rent an entire house in Galway?
    would you dine on beans on toast as the Donegal wan did last night?

is having a can of beer down by the Spanish Arch a sign of alcohol abuse and destitution?

if the programme is to be believed there is destitution on every corner of Galway.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shows like that, especially when made by ****ty Irish production companies, tend to absolutely sensationalise everything, 99% of TV3's original content is proof of that, RTE are just as bad in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Haha I was thinking that about the big house she got, in town- on her welfare money!! She stayed in The box room of it as well by the looks of it. I laughed at the beans on toast Craic as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

What I don't get is......

All the people that she was interviewing, did these people not wonder:
    a) Who was she?
    b) Why she interviewing me?
    and
    c) Why was there was a film crew following her?

She cried too much........especially when the reformed alcoholic told her his life story. He seemed pretty embarrassed for her at the end......

I didn't see the end of it though so I don't know who she gave money to so I can't comment any further than that, at least I know part of my TV license paid for her accommodation for the 8 days, money well spent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Self promotion by way of shameless exploitation, maybe a mate of fidelmas' perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

van_beano wrote: »

a) Who was she?
    and

She told them that she was filming a documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a) Who was she?
    and

She cried too much........especially when the reformed alcoholic told her his life story. He seemed pretty embarrassed for her at the end......

I didn't see the end of it though so I don't know who she gave money to so I can't comment any further than that, at least I know part of my TV license paid for her accommodation for the 8 days, money well spent!

supposedly she was making a programme on life in modern Ireland.
    she cried enough tears to drive a mill wheel.
    a fine bird though.
    i wouldnt mess with the wan from the womens shelter.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    supposedly she was making a programme on life in modern Ireland.

Ahh very good, I failed to mention I didn't see the start of it either......now I just sound like an eejit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ahh very good, I failed to mention I didn't see the start of it either......now I just sound like an eejit :eek:

probably on the player.

BTW is that what your average rented house looks like in Galway or was it a student gaff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anywhere this can be viewed online or repeat of the episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

It's actually called 'the secret millionaire' nauseating stuff
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10053217

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Fuinseog wrote: »
    probably on the player.

BTW is that what your average rented house looks like in Galway or was it a student gaff?

this house https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=galway&aq=f&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I wouldn't blame the Donegal woman for 'crying too much' etc. What we see on these types of show is the edited versions (for maximum emotional impact). And who knows what kind of personal connections it triggered. 'People' want the emotional moments on these type of shows.

Plenty have had beans on toast for the dinner!

I'd say the gaff is pretty standard for an old house near City Centre
    rental, probably would be cleaned a bit better though.

People are great at closing their eyes to stuff. I'm glad a few charities got some press, even if it was standard mass-view telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Watched it myself and have mixed emotions about it (but I wont cry)!

I thought Galway looked great with the volvo ocean race & the crowds. I just don't get it, whats in it for her?? If she really wanted to "make a difference", why so public???
    Throw a few cheques in the post......She has to be benefiting from it somehow?

......She has to be benefiting from it somehow?

Didn't she get Social Welfare for the 8 days without having to go through all the trouble of applying for it, Signing on etc :D

Didn't she get Social Welfare for the 8 days without having to go through all the trouble of applying for it, Signing on etc :D

Actually yeah, and I did'nt see her standing in the queue for it either, and, did you see all the "expensive" cleaning stuff she bought, not an aldi label in sight!!:eek:

Does her particular business sell cleaning products?

Does her particular business sell cleaning products?

I'm not sure, I would'nt have thought so.

Maybe her wholesaler does.....There should be a spin-off Behind-the-Scenes episode aswell, just to clear up a few questions.

How much did she give away in the end anyways?

€40,000 if im not mistaken. (15k,5k,10,10)

For a millionaire that's not that much, wouldn't ya think she would have at least broken the €100k mark!

If ya think about it aswell she got free advertising for her particular business so that's €40k well spent

• Advertisement

what was the company then? i failed to hear the name? is it a small one or multinational

Small one, few based around Ireland, can't be mentioning it on here as that'd be advertising and €40k well spent :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lads! It's a telly show. All is not what it seems! It is meant to make cheap telly that will tug at the heartstrings. I'd warrant that she had to live on the *dole equivalent* for that week, probably from the production budget. She got to promo her company a bit, feel good about it, and probably write off some of it to charitable donation. She may have gotten an appearance fee at the end or may have waived it.

They are great at recruiting people for shows like this, people have all sorts of reasons for saying yes, from wanting to be on telly, to trying something new, to wanting to donate in a different way. At very least everyone knows that a charity will get some PR

It's *telly*! At the end of the day whatever she donated is more than the charities had to begin with, and didn't they get some publicity out of it?

I'm merely being cynical, it's me Irish genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

What are the tax implications for her and her business giving money to charity does anyone know ? Good to see the good work done by people highlighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What are the tax implications for her and her business giving money to charity does anyone know ? Good to see the good work done by people highlighted.

This...
    Corporate donations
    Company X donates £1,000 to an eligible charity or approved body. Assuming a corporation tax rate of 12.5%,
    relief to the company is £125, i.e. £1,000@12.5%. While the eligible charity or approved body has the benefit
    of £1,000, the cost to the company of making the donation is only £875 (£1,000 - £125). The company will
    simply claim a deduction for the donation as if it were a trading expense, there is no grossing up arrangement
    and therefore no repayment claim by the eligible charity or approved body arises.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/chy2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And if a donation was made by her as a self-employed person, rather than the company, and she's paying at 41%, then a donation of €10k will see €4100 headed back to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Just speed watched it on the rte player. Thought it was a self indulgent crock of s..t.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

JustMary wrote: »
    And if a donation was made by her as a self-employed person, rather than the company, and she's paying at 41%, then a donation of €10k will see €4100 headed back to her.

They were company cheques.

Too easy to be cynical about this type of thing. Fair play to her for giving to charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

They were company cheques.

Too easy to be cynical about this type of thing. Fair play to her for giving to charities.

I;m sure the people at Waterside, Cluinmhuire, Autism, etc where extremely happy to get a donation. Fair play to her for doing it - at the end of the day she didn't have to give away thousands. Maybe next time, they might hit up the likes of our pat kennys, or taoiseach to do a programme and donate some of their monies - I doubt it tho. They biatch about taking cuts to their hundreds of thousands as it is - they don't want to think of the little people.

Very generous of that lady. Who cares if the programme wasn't up to some people's standards - the fact is she helped out a lot of good causes in Galway. She didn't have to.

Advertisement