Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Millionaire Galway episode

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭galgar

A lot of cynical people commenting here and b*tching about this programme.
    It was okay tv, highlighted a lot of charities that many people don't even know about. So what if she cried a lot, and so what if she gets tax back for her donations. At least she was sitting on her ar*e sniping on boards.ie about other peoples attempts to help others.
    F the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Watch the episode with Tuam's John Concannon in it. He's since gone on to make a Pieta House in Tuam happen.
    That is making a huge difference to society from one progam if you ask me.
    OK, people can say it's edited a certain way with emotional scenes, of course it will be - it is TV after all.
    But they are highlighting areas around the country where real issues are happening.
    If tugging at the heartstrings gets things done then well so be it.
    And even if they are using company cheques, claiming back VAT, not giving away a more substantial amount becaues they are 'millionaires' etc, they are still donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

dendof wrote: »
    Watch the episode with Tuam's John Concannon in it. He's since gone on to make a Pieta House in Tuam happen.
    That is making a huge difference to society from one progam if you ask me.
    OK, people can say it's edited a certain way with emotional scenes, of course it will be - it is TV after all.
    But they are highlighting areas around the country where real issues are happening.
    If tugging at the heartstrings gets things done then well so be it.
    And even if they are using company cheques, claiming back VAT, not giving away a more substantial amount becaues they are 'millionaires' etc, they are still donating.

JFC is a top man.

True altruism does not exist anyway. If someone is giving to charity, fair play. If they can generate some publicity for their business from that, then fair play too. If they go on to donate some of the proceeds that publicity generates to charity, then the fairest of play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

This lady who set up her own business decides to leave her family, go to Galway and give out her own self-made hard earned cash €40,000 according to a previous poster and you have cynical people on here giving out about it, I actually can't understand it!

There are no negatives any normal person could take from watching this programme in my opinion. You are watching Television, of course it's sensationalistic or whatever and if she's an emotional person that's no reason to detract from the good she was trying to and did do.

Fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

As unthinkable as it is to have a discussion on an internet forum the argument that the cynical people can go F themselves is laughable. All Charity is good right. Look at the great job it has made of Africa. Where would they be today with out the great work of Charity. And look at the great job charity is doing offloading responsibily from our Goverment and the HSE to essential service's for the citizens of this Country. THis allows for a reduction in services while the expectation is lowered sure they are doing great its a charity people giving their time for a worthy cause while running on a limited budget. Everyone is collecting for some charity, when are we going to wise up and start asking some questions.

Not having a go at anyone and fair play to folks for the effort, but its good to talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

40k is a pitiful amount to give away given that she can get 41% back. Self promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

galgar wrote: »
    It was okay tv, highlighted a lot of charities that many people don't even know about. So what if she cried a lot, and so what if she gets tax back for her donations. At least she was sitting on her ar*e sniping on boards.ie about other peoples attempts to help others.
    F the begrudgers.
    Totally agree with your comment. It's sickening the amount of negativity & begrudgery. There's enough negativity in the country atm, I don't think we need people looking for alterior motives to someone giving away their cash to well deserved charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

philboy wrote: »
    I don't think we need people looking for alterior motives

I don't think it is possible to find alterior motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mikom wrote: »
    I don't think it is possible to find alterior motives.
    I reckon the word will be included in the dictionary within five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the Donegal 'millionaire' appeared genuine and I do not believe she was doing it to blow her own trumpet. I just found it funny the way she perceived that living off welfare means beans on toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the Donegal 'millionaire' appeared genuine and I do not believe she was doing it to blow her own trumpet. I just found it funny the way she perceived that living off welfare means beans on toast.

I'm sure that was a producer's idea. "Oh you can't be having meat every night on the dole - what do people eat? Oh yeah, beans on toast"

Probably more nutrients in it than a crappy frozen burger anyway!

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm sure that was a producer's idea. "Oh you can't be having meat every night on the dole - what do people eat? Oh yeah, beans on toast"

Probably more nutrients in it than a crappy frozen burger anyway!

She didn't spare the butter if I recall correctly. #minted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

She didn't spare the butter if I recall correctly. #minted

Poor people typically eat more fats!:p

inisboffin wrote: »
    Poor people typically eat more fats!:p

Is that why you're so fat then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gassdfres

galgar wrote: »
    F the begrudgers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Our secret millionaire is to become the newest "dragon" in the den;

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/12/02/donegal-woman-to-become-rtes-latest-dragon/

Advertisement