Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I cook rib steak?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I have some rib steak defrosting in the fridge for dinner tonight. I've never bought this cut before and at €9.49/kg it's pretty cheap.

Would it be too tough to simply fry/grill, or do I need to stew it somehow? Since it's a midweek dinner I'd love some ideas for a quick way of cooking it.

I did Google recipes but most of the results seem to be for rib eye which afaik is a much more expensive cut.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I have some rib steak defrosting in the fridge for dinner tonight. I've never bought this cut before and at €9.49/kg it's pretty cheap.

Would it be too tough to simply fry/grill, or do I need to stew it somehow? Since it's a midweek dinner I'd love some ideas for a quick way of cooking it.

I did Google recipes but most of the results seem to be for rib eye which afaik is a much more expensive cut.

I boil mine for stew

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, rib steak is a stewing cut.
    Use in any stew or casserole recipe - good for curry or chilli too (which are, of course stews).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks for the replies! Hmmm, I have a giant bowl of cherry tomatoes in the fridge so chilli sounds good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

trodsky wrote: »
    I boil mine for stew

Boiled steak in a stew? I can't say I've ever heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

trodsky wrote: »
    I boil mine for stew

I never boil a stew.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rib is a lovely cut to eat as steak!

Just cook it as you would sirloin, it's not as tender but it's got waaaaaaaay more flavour.

Hot and fast, medium rare, nomnomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Yeah, I definitely think I'll try frying it next time. I made a quick chilli with it last night and even though I only had time to cook it for a short while it was quite tender and very, very tasty. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Rib Steak is really nice when braised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rib is a lovely cut to eat as steak!

Just cook it as you would sirloin, it's not as tender but it's got waaaaaaaay more flavour.

Hot and fast, medium rare, nomnomnomnom

Rib steak and rib eye are very different cuts.
    It's been discussed on here before.
    I really don't think the stewing rib steak would fry well.
    All a bit confusing really.

2011_11_16_124059rs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

For tougher cuts of meat when I don't feel like a stew, I'll marinade then overnight in a thin brine often made of taco mix(http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254869130) and 1 cup of water per lb. To cook I remove the meat from the brine, cube it, sear it well in butter(or olive oil if ya like smoke or veggie oil or canola oil) but not so much the inside cooks, then add the brine, let it boil quickly, then let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken. It can be served with rice and tortillas if ya want to stick with the mexican theme, or add a small bit more water, creme, sour creme, or milk to thicken as you like to pour over rice, or add water for a stew. If you are going to go the stew route fro the start, then you'd obviously want to add yer veggies.

I use taco mix for a lot of marinades and dishes. I'll add garlic, sugar, honey, oregano or other herbs depending on how I want it to go, or whether it's chicken or pork or beef, and thin it or thicken it as I see fit. Taco mix is always in my press, often half opened as you don't necessarily need the entire packet for seasoning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement