Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira elite 2 shower no power

• 18-09-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Howdy, mira elite 2 shower has no power. checked fuse board not tripped and the pole switch in bathroom seems to be working red light on and off when pulled. no lights at all on shower and no water. took off cover bit of blackening around the electrical part but its been like that years had it off before sometime I remember. just wondering if anyone can suggest what else I can try, looked online didnt see much. appreciate it thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

I'd recommend not fiddling with a shower unit unless you know what you're doing. Water and bare wiring is a bad combination and it's all too easy to get the one on the other in a shower.

Sometimes the wiring connections corrode and then overheat. This causes the blackening and can melt anything plastic nearby. The damaged wiring and connectors will need to be cut out and
    replaced if this has happened.

It could just be the switch has failed. You can get replacemt parts for some models. Google is your friend for this.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

The brushes are probably gone on the motor they're easy to replace. They're held in by a spring one brush either side of the motor you might have to move the motor out slightly to gain access to one of the brushes.

Before you go fiddling with it make sure to knock off the RCBO at the fuse board and switch off the isolator switch just on the off chance someone knocks it back up on you.

You'll pick up a couple of brushes in any plumbing wholesalers they might have to order them in.

dhog4n wrote: »
    Sometimes the wiring connections corrode and then overheat. This causes the blackening and can melt anything plastic nearby. The damaged wiring and connectors will need to be cut out and
    replaced if this has happened. .

What you're getting at there is a loose connection arcing in a terminal and melting the plastic around the terminal and eventually the switch. The connections don't corrode.

Not in this case the blackening will be caused by the carbon off the brushes wearing away it's perfectly normal.
    Westwood wrote: »
    no lights at all on shower and no water.

I only half read you post is there normally a light on the shower after you pull the isolator switch?

dhog4n could be right there about the knackered switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

thanks for the replies. appreciate the concerns nothing is touched unless main power is off and individual rcbo is off. yes. when you pull the pole switch on ceiling their was a red light on the shower, then hit start to get the water going. not anymore just red light on pole switch. the switch on the shower was always sticky in the past. perhaps this may be the culprit then?

thanks for the replies. appreciate the concerns nothing is touched unless main power is off and individual rcbo is off. yes. when you pull the pole switch on ceiling their was a red light on the shower, then hit start to get the water going. not anymore just red light on pole switch. the switch on the shower was always sticky in the past. perhaps this may be the culprit then?

Sounds like the switch is goosed alright you'll pick up a new one and swap over like for like. might be a loose connection either turn off the power and take the cover off the switch it should be clearer then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Thanks as I said the the ceiling switch is pulled the light would come on the shower. which no longer does. it wouldn't be a case of the ceiling pull cord not working even though the lights are coming on dim/full? Ill take off the switch on the shower and see what the craic is. thanks

Thanks as I said the the ceiling switch is pulled the light would come on the shower. which no longer does. it wouldn't be a case of the ceiling pull cord not working even though the lights are coming on dim/full? Ill take off the switch on the shower and see what the craic is. thanks

I'm not really gettin you there sounds like you don't need any help:confused:

The lights on the isolator switch may still come on if one of the cables has come loose the little neon is wired independently.

Have you recently had the cover off the shower did you remember to reconnect the plug for the switch on the shower cover?

Advertisement