Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 Jobs for Galway

Options
  • 18-09-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what the story with these three hundred jobs for Galway. Are they all unqualified call centre jobs? grand if you are just out of school or a college graduate with no work experience but not exactly a job to make a career?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what the story with these three hundred jobs for Galway. Are they all unqualified call centre jobs? grand if you are just out of school or a college graduate with no work experience but not exactly a job to make a career?

I'm not sure how aware of the jobs market you are at the moment, but 300 jobs (of any type) are extremely welcome! I have a degree and a lot of experience and have been struggling to find a new job in the last few months, and will certainly be applying for one of these jobs.

Even if they are only entry level positions, you are getting your foot in the door of one of the largest companies in the world, who will always present employees with opportunities to move up the ranks and establish a fine career.

They are multilingual customer support jobs.

I'm not sure how much career progression they would offer but 300 jobs is 300 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They are multilingual customer support jobs.

I'm not sure how much career progression they would offer but 300 jobs is 300 jobs.

I'm sure there will be other jobs that are spawned off from these. I doubt the management roles they had hired for Bioware are expected to handle 300 more staff. Ditto trainers and the like.

Plus 300 jobs = 300 people spending money in the town, renting or buying homes. It's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Great news for Galway and a boost to the local economy in terms of increased disposable income. Can't believe that some people focus on negatives. There's plenty of people on the dole that wouldn't turn their nose up to 25k a year. Then again there are plenty on the dole that wouldn't get out of bed for 25k a year so you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

zarquon wrote: »
    Can't believe that some people focus on negatives.

Think you're being a bit harsh there, there's no real negativity there - a bit of "it mightn't be suitable" perhaps, no harm with that as people that think they're getting something else end up getting disgruntled very quickly.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll, but then I'm already on the career path (with a different company) but I'd make a couple of months on a call center phone mandatory for all software grads (make them see what a cock up can do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i wonder why people pay fees to NUIG which get higher every year, spend three years doing an Arts degree and then go to work in a call centre where only second level education and fluency in a continental language is required. the government is banging on about all these jobs but it is not intended that you stay very long at such a job. maybe going to college is a waste of time.

zarquon wrote: »
    Great news for Galway and a boost to the local economy in terms of increased disposable income. Can't believe that some people focus on negatives. There's plenty of people on the dole that wouldn't turn their nose up to 25k a year. Then again there are plenty on the dole that wouldn't get out of bed for 25k a year so you can't please everyone.

its great news for unemployed French and Germans who can get a job here. its hard to find Irish people fluent in a continental language.

i wonder why people pay fees to NUIG which get higher every year, spend three years doing an Arts degree and then go to work in a call centre where only second level education and fluency in a continental language is required. the government is banging on about all these jobs but it is not intended that you stay very long at such a job. maybe going to college is a waste of time.

Going to college doesn't guarantee or entitled you to a job. I don't think it's ever a waste of time because it furthers your knowledge and if you did it in Engineering or Science it will help you become a logical thinker which can apply to all sorts of jobs and help you in life in general. Also if you go to college in Ireland it's a 4 year piss up...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be other jobs that are spawned off from these. I doubt the management roles they had hired for Bioware are expected to handle 300 more staff. Ditto trainers and the like.

Plus 300 jobs = 300 people spending money in the town, renting or buying homes. It's all good.

the rent will increase if more people are looking for lodgings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

what the story with these three hundred jobs for Galway. Are they all unqualified call centre jobs?

Even if they are they will still need team leaders, IT support staff and other roles too

• Advertisement

Which is taxed and means more revenue for the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Just as a related side question, Whats happening with Zenimax ? They were working like mad to refurb the old Connaught Laundry/ Boco site but then nothing and no signs of recruitment ??

Westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

its great news for unemployed French and Germans who can get a job here. its hard to find Irish people fluent in a continental language.

Any foreigners employed will spend money in the local economy, boosting VAT, income Tax etc for the government and helping local businesses. There's no need to be negative about new jobs if you don't fit the criteria. An arts student shouldn't expect an engineering or IT graduate job, neither should an architecture graduate expect a multilingual call centre job. I don't know what your qualifications are or your job status but you should be pleased to see inward investment in our local economy.

Job creation is a good thing irrespective of the job type

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Great to have that type of job creation going on. How far from Galway City are these new jobs based? Are they mostly bilingual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

They're in Galway city, doovdela. But of course many will go to non Irish. Which isn't bad in itself as there are a few already living here who need jobs.

But this is a massive positive for Galway no matter how you look at it.

No longer is Galway some backwater on the west coast of Ireland. Bit of a multicultural haven. Galway people should be proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh right that's good, I wouldn't know the city that well, I am a bit further south west of Galway but have my eye on maybe heading up that way in the future if a job came about.

Its a great positive as Galway is the only city that part of the country, its good to have these new jobs up that way in the Western region especially if it means targeting those who have a foreign language though I can understand why it go to non-Irish which be a bit of a disappointment but it be good for the economy in Galway which is great for cultural things both Irish and non-Irish which is great to have that mix.

Its a lovely City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

There's a company in Parkmore Businesa Park east that employee a lot of people that have a foreign language.
    A lot of these positions are taken by Irish who have learnt the skill of a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

westgolf wrote: »
    Just as a related side question, Whats happening with Zenimax ? They were working like mad to refurb the old Connaught Laundry/ Boco site but then nothing and no signs of recruitment ??

Westgolf

A couple of people left my workplace recently to join them. They've only recruited a few so far but they'll be ramping up to 200 in the coming year or two from what I was told from one of the guys who went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

i wonder why people pay fees to NUIG which get higher every year, spend three years doing an Arts degree and then go to work in a call centre where only second level education and fluency in a continental language is required.

Maybe the person with the degree will get the promotion when it comes up. Or move on to a better role somewhere after getting some experience on their CV.

It's a very easy thing to accentuate the negative, like your posts in this thread have, but it never really got anyone anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I went into a company in the call centre... Instead of just looking at the negative, I dedicated myself to the job as I would to any job, regardless of the field. I do not have a snobbery against any position, and I will have you know that call centre work is not easy. You are the front line dealing with the public, and to be honest, most people do not call up a company with a call centre unless they have an issue with something. In other words, your job in call centres is to get abuse. But by working hard at what I did, there are promotion oppurtunities and one can swiftly work up the lines... I now am the contact in the European HQ for the Swedish, Danish and French offices, and also in the running to be sent to open a new Office in China with a large team under me.... So no job should be looked at negatively, every job is an experience that you can learn from

• Advertisement

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27941-gaming-giant-plans-1300-more-jobs-galway-base
    The Connacht Sentinel is reporting that EA could expand the operation even further over the next few years - it would be very good for Galway.

It could even spark some construction work on the east side of the city.

Edit: I note also that the jobs aren't limited to multilingual support.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I meant to respond to this before:

Not indended by whom, exactly?

I know a few tertiary qualified product builders (medical devices equiv of a call centre): their jobs don't exactly stretch their minds, but they're pretty handly for paying the rent and raisiing the kids. And it means they have creative energy for other things.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Maybe the person with the degree will get the promotion when it comes up. Or move on to a better role somewhere after getting some experience on their CV.

It's a very easy thing to accentuate the negative, like your posts in this thread have, but it never really got anyone anywhere.

i know people who were looking for work. they were college graduates in their late twenties. the call centre offered them 25k with the chance of a raise after 18 months. hardly big bucks if you want to make a career. though it may suit people who are just passing through and just want to pay the bills as opposed to a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i know people who were looking for work. they were college graduates in their late twenties. the call centre offered them 25k with the chance of a raise after 18 months. hardly big bucks if you want to make a career. though it may suit people who are just passing through and just want to pay the bills as opposed to a mortgage.
    I worked in a contact centre which I made a career out of in less than a year. It depends on how driven or motivated you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Hi,

Has anyone who's applied for one of these jobs heard anything yet?

I got a "thanks we're working through lots of applications mail. "

So I'm wondering if anyone has got called for interview, what steps the process takes etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Reality bites. I would wager that most in 'unqualified' roles with any of the big employers have a degree behind them and maybe more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

lion_bar wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone who's applied for one of these jobs heard anything yet?

I got a "thanks we're working through lots of applications mail. "

So I'm wondering if anyone has got called for interview, what steps the process takes etc?

Thanks

Got one of them this morning. Right now it's the only avenue that looks positive. Had 2 interviews the past week and wasn't qualified or having enough experience. Along with all the other jobs I've applied for without hearing anything back

Advertisement