Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storage Heaters!

• 18-09-2012 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm moving back to a flat I used to live in years ago. It's about 10-12 years ago and like all flats back then was fitted with storage heaters.

I absolutely detest these things AS THEY COST AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE.

I would spend a max of 2-3 hours per day in my living room.

Storage heaters switch on from 11pm-8am (when I'm in bed) and release heat throughout the day (when I'm at work).

So the room is heated for essentially 24 hours a day, and I'm only in it for 3.

However, if I don't turn it on at night the place is an icebox in the evening. Anyway around this?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm moving back to a flat I used to live in years ago. It's about 10-12 years ago and like all flats back then was fitted with storage heaters.

I absolutely detest these things AS THEY COST AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE.

I would spend a max of 2-3 hours per day in my living room.

Storage heaters switch on from 11pm-8am (when I'm in bed) and release heat throughout the day (when I'm at work).

So the room is heated for essentially 24 hours a day, and I'm only in it for 3.

However, if I don't turn it on at night the place is an icebox in the evening. Anyway around this?

Thanks

One of the worst inventions ever created.

The only problem is using an electric heaters for a few hours will probably be just as expensive.

Hot water bottles and blankets I reckon are your best bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

We bought a plug in radiator last winter and it literally halved our electicity bills from the winter before where we were using the storage heater. Storage heaters are quite literally the most ridiculous contraptions and are completely useless for houses. Fine for an office where you are there during the day to get the benefit of the heat, but pointless for a home where noone is there when the majority of the heat is being released...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

djimi wrote: »
    We bought a plug in radiator last winter and it literally halved our electicity bills from the winter before where we were using the storage heater. Storage heaters are quite literally the most ridiculous contraptions and are completely useless for houses. Fine for an office where you are there during the day to get the benefit of the heat, but pointless for a home where noone is there when the majority of the heat is being released...

Hi. How long would you use the plug in radiator in the evening?

I'd only need it for 2 hours max I reckon but would be paranoid that it might end up being just as expensive.

Probably had it on for a max of 2-3 hours in the evening. The one we have you can turn it on for 20-30 minutes and it will stay hot for the guts of an hour so we didnt need to leave it turned on the whole time. It wont necessarily heat the whole room but if you have it beside the sofa when watching TV or whatever then its perfectly adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm not an electric radiator expert but if you go down that route check the different technologies.

You have blow heaters, halogen and oil-filled. I believe that the blow and halogen heaters might be the quickest to get heat out so good for quick heat. However if you leaving the heater on for a while the oil-fired ones are more efficient, once they heat up they keep the heat for a while.

Most of that information is stuff I have just picked up from people so it would be best to do a search online about the technologies.

• Advertisement

I think its an oil filled one that we have.

Advertisement