Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week old not sleeping much during day

Options
  • 18-09-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My son is nearly 6 weeks old and sleeps fine at night (bar waking for feeds).

We are giving him 180ml about ever 4 hours. He doesn't sleep much during the day e.g. awake yesterday (bar a few mins here and there) from 2pm to 11pm.

Is this normal?

Also, he has started grunting a bit and clearing his throat at nighttime but he sleeps ok then.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Sounds fairly normal.
    My son slept a lot during the day until around 3 or 4 weeks and then it seemed like he never slept during the day until he started taking naps at around 6 months!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

My son is 7 weeks, usually sleep 11pm-7am and probably again for about an hour after every feed, 7am, 11am, 3pm, he doesn't sleep after the 7/8pm feed and goes straight down after the last feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi,
    My son is nearly 6 weeks old and sleeps fine at night (bar waking for feeds).

We are giving him 180ml about ever 4 hours. He doesn't sleep much during the day e.g. awake yesterday (bar a few mins here and there) from 2pm to 11pm.

Is this normal?

Also, he has started grunting a bit and clearing his throat at nighttime but he sleeps ok then.

Thanks
    I could have written that post!:)
    having the same problem with my little man for the last three or four days! Phn told me they hit another growth spurt at 6 weeks so I am just presuming he is going into it a week early. He's still drinking loads, sleeping for about 6hours straight at night, but he's obviously just a big fan of power naps!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

My fella doesn`t do daytime naps lately but still sleeps through the night at 7.5 weeks.
    Is that a growth spurt so?
    I thought he would sleep more and eat more during those times??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I'm not quite sure to be honest as this is my first so bit of a guessing game :):)
    But I know my little man would not have always had a good bottle at feeding time but now he's polishing off a full 180mls at most feeding times which have now become every 3 to 3 and half hours wiTh very little sleep and it was maybe every 4 hours with 3 hours sleep. So that's just my guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

liliq wrote: »
    Sounds fairly normal.
    My son slept a lot during the day until around 3 or 4 weeks and then it seemed like he never slept during the day until he started taking naps at around 6 months!

Its a while since i was at that stage but i could have written the above post. My son slept around the clock for 3wks and then it became impossible to get him to nap until 5/6mths when he became a brilliant napper! He's 2.5yrs now and still loves his nap in the middle of the day.

He was always great at night but those months in between were torture, i used to pound the pavements to get him to nap, it could take an hour walking to get him to nod off and the second the buggy stopped moving he'd wake up again :rolleyes: I was exhausted but on the plus side the weight fell off me :D

I hope for you it's just a short phase, a growth spurt or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

My lil guy was the same thankfully he is back to napping it was very tiring apparently they go through growth spurts

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Quick update:

Now 7 weeks old and sleeps great from the last feed in the evening (8-9pm) until 8am next morning. He has a feed at about 1 and 5am during that time and wakes up himself for them but goes back to sleep very easily (sometimes conks out before the bottle is finished!).

He is still just napping briefly during the day, 10-30mins a few times a day.

Thanks for the replies, it puts my mind at rest that its all farily normal.

Advertisement