Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions of Europe Vs Juventus (Champions League)Sept 19th 19:45pm SS2

• 18-09-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

0-1 Juventus is where my money would be. Vucinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Aquila wrote: »
    10268.png VS 10252.png

Stamford Bridge
    Wed 19 Sep 2012 19:45

So The Blues kick off their defence of their UEFA Champions League crown with a home game against a resurgent Juventus side..
    How do you all see this one panning out?
    Teams etc to follow

Would have gone with Champions of Europe VS Juve myself just to wind people up and bring the inevitable comments about Spain! :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    0-1 Juventus is where my money would be. Vucinic.

0-1? :eek:
    This is Chelsea after all, playing with a false 9, 10, 11, etc etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Chelsea should have too much for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tough game, anyone suggesting otherwise is either under estimating Juventus or totally naive.

I'd be happy if we didnt lose this game, Stamford Bridge is usually a great olace to be on UCL nights and Wednesday should be no different.

2-1 for me.

Mata, Ivanovic - Vucinic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I can't wait to see this Juve side on a big Champions League night. I think there's a chance they'll take it in their stride and play without fear, but there's also a chance their complete lack of European experience as a team will show.

The midfield of Asamoah-Marchisio-Pirlo-Vidal-Lichtsteiner is ridiculously strong. If Vucinic plays well, I think Juve will do well. The attack is fairly reliant on him.

When I think of Juve I always think of how Roy keane tore them apart in 1999
    One of the finest comebacks I have ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gehzhS6Vzo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Would have gone with Champions of Europe VS Juve myself just to wind people up and bring the inevitable comments about Spain! :D

Althetico Madrid are Kings of Europe though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

This has to be a home win. Any chance Juventus will get a penalty? They're three played - three awarded this season, no?

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    This has to be a home win. Any chance Juventus will get a penalty? They're three played - three awarded this season, no?

Four played, four awarded (three scored) if you include the Super Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Tough game, anyone suggesting otherwise is either under estimating Juventus or totally naive.

I'd be happy if we didnt lose this game, Stamford Bridge is usually a great olace to be on UCL nights and Wednesday should be no different.

2-1 for me.

Mata, Ivanovic - Vucinic

Solid 2-0 to Chelsea.Too much for them Juventus are being overrated,think you're over estimating them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

IMO the result will seriously depend on how Chelsea set up, if we try sit back and defend I think we'll be tore apart, if we go all out attack I feel we'll have too much for Juve.

2-1 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This one's got bore draw written all over it.

Interestingly the Champions of Europe are 16/1 to repeat their success from last year. Anybody be getting on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Would have to say this has a draw all over it, hopefully 2-2 defo not scoreless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Juve will be very tough to break down and dangerous on the counter at stamford Bridge, id settle for a draw but im gonna go 3 - 2 to chelsea :D

This will be Buffon's 400th game for Juve, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Juve definitely have the stronger team overall. Superior goalkeeper, defence and midfield with lots of depth in these areas, Chelsea stronger up front for sure and majority of their players team more experienced in Europe which is obv important.

Score draw for me 1-1

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Juve definitely have the stronger team overall. Superior goalkeeper, defence and midfield with lots of depth in these areas, Chelsea stronger up front for sure and majority of their players team more experienced in Europe which is obv important.

Score draw for me 1-1

Thats the thing with Chelsea, on paper compared to many teams, we look inferior, but sometimes our team spirit and organisation carries us through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Who's playing for Spain?

• Advertisement

Thats the thing with Chelsea, on paper compared to many teams, we look inferior, but sometimes our team spirit and organisation carries us through

Dunno, was a spirited enough run last season but they got some ridiculous strokes of luck along the way which can happen in any cup competition, best team doesnt win this competition very often.

Score draw for me 1-1
    I'm not too sure about Juve's defence this season. They've been playing a higher line than last season and look shaky enough. Barzagli was immense last season, but had probably his worst game for Juve at the weekend. Bonucci can be good for 89 minutes but is always prone to a brain dead mistake.

I definitely wouldn't say Juve have depth in defence. They were incredibly lucky with injuries last season. I wouldn't fancy their chances at all if any of Caceres, Marrone or (God forbid!) Lucio had to play against a top European team.
    Dunno, was a spirited enough run last season but they got some ridiculous strokes of luck along the way which can happen in any cup competition, best team doesnt win this competition very often.

Their defensive organisation and some fantastic performances by Drogba got them through last season IMO.

Their defensive organisation and some fantastic performances by Drogba got them through last season IMO.

Don't think they defended that well against Barca at all, they conceeded lots of chances in both legs but some very uncharacteristically poor finishing from Messi in particular saw them through.

Who's playing for Spain?

Dont know but they'll be represented for Chelsea by Torres and Mata.

Who's playing for Spain?

Dont know but they'll be represented for Chelsea by Torres and Mata.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Hard to call, this is going to be a tough game. I reckon we'll scrape a win.

Juve are by no means going to be pushovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think Juve will win 1-0

It would of been a perfect game for Mr Drogba. I think Chelsea will have to much for Juventus. 2-1 Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm going for a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw, if anybody is going to win it it's going to be Juve; 1-0 more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Juve are by no means going to be pushovers.
    Oh ya think?!

Juve don't really do losing. The meanest defence in Europe. Unbeaten in Serie A all last season, only a Cavani inspired Napoli stopped them from doing the Scudetto/Coppa Italia double.

This game has low scoring draw written all over it. Juve can certainly take a point at the Bridge.

1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2-1 Chelsea. Sturridge brace and pirlo.

Heard it here first :p

Don't think they defended that well against Barca at all, they conceeded lots of chances in both legs but some very uncharacteristically poor finishing from Messi in particular saw them through.

Well considering we kept a clean sheet at home to Barca and played nearly the whole game at the Nou Camp with 10 men & Cahill went off injured, I'd say we defended pretty damn well.

I think after the Napoli away game our defending was immense, to me thats the reason we won the CL.

I think our greatest ally in winning the UCL was luck, although thats not a bad thing, nearly every team needs a degree of luck along the way to win the thing. and we certainly deserved our slice of luck along the way after recent years.

I think our greatest night was easily away to Barca, 2-0 down and a man down and Ramires produces a peach of a finish running from RB. :eek:

Then we have Ivanovic and Bosingwa play CB for about 65 minutes at the Camp Nou, Cesc diving to win a penalty that Messi smashed off the bar and Torres loses the ball at the edge of the box in the 90 minute and decides to jog towards the centre circle just as Cole lumps it away.

Lucky, yes, definetly, resolute and deserved, absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

don't have a good feeling about this one for some reason....

feel Juve could sneak it 2-1

don't have a good feeling about this one for some reason....

feel Juve could sneak it 2-1

I think we'll be grand at home, we're usually a force at the Bridge, we dont usually lose at home in the UCL.

I'd be fearful of going out there looking for points though, so hopefully we have 1st or 2nd wrapped up by the time we play them in Turin.

• Advertisement

I think we'll be grand at home, we're usually a force at the Bridge, we dont usually lose at home in the UCL.

I'd be fearful of going out there looking for points though, so hopefully we have 1st or 2nd wrapped up by the time we play them in Turin.

Well if we cant beat them at the bridge then we've no hope away IMO, going on last seasons CL form, we won all our home games, so hopefully we can continue where we left off.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Well if we cant beat them at the bridge then we've no hope away IMO, going on last seasons CL form, we won all our home games, so hopefully we can continue where we left off.

This team can pull results out when we need them, a draw in Turin would be an excellent result IMO.

Although I agree, if we can win our 3 home games and pick up 3 points from the 3 away games we should be safely into the next round.

This team can pull results out when we need them, a draw in Turin would be an excellent result IMO.

Although I agree, if we can win our 3 home games and pick up 3 points from the 3 away games we should be safely into the next round.

Well I think we should definitely targeting winning our 3 home games and we should beat FC Nordsjælland away too, that would qualify us. if only is was so easy :pac:

Well I think we should definitely targeting winning our 3 home games and we should beat FC Nordsjælland away too, that would qualify us. if only is was so easy :pac:

I know. :o

Shakatar away will be tricky to say the least and Turin will be another level or two up from that.

As long as we get out of the group with a game to go I'll be happy, then we can see where the knockout stages land us.

I know. :o

Shakatar away will be tricky to say the least and Turin will be another level or two up from that.

As long as we get out of the group with a game to go I'll be happy, then we can see where the knockout stages land us.

Well in fairness the CL has a lot of tough teams this year so finishing 2nd may not even be that bad, even though you want to be winning your group.

• Advertisement

Well in fairness the CL has a lot of tough teams this year so finishing 2nd may not even be that bad, even though you want to be winning your group.

Well if its like last year and we pull a team as strong as Napoli then it will be tough again.

AS you said though, its getting to the stage now were 90% of the time its the 2 top seeds get out of the group, everynow and again a small team will make it as far as the round of 16 or Quarters at a push but it doesnt happen all that often.

Score draw for me 1-1

I cant agree Juve have a stronger squad overall, better keeper alright and a better deep play maker but i would not swap any play we have other than Giovinco Pirlo or Buffon.

I think we have a better defense, better Attack and our midfeild is slightly better. Hazard and Mata will pin back Juve tonight hopefully and Ramires or Oscar can mark Pirlo. Vucinic and Giovino will be ones to watch for Mikel Terry and Luiz.

what a day wrote: »
    I cant agree Juve have a stronger squad overall, better keeper alright and a better deep play maker but i would not swap any play we have other than Giovinco Pirlo or Buffon.

I think we have a better defense, better Attack and our midfeild is slightly better. Hazard and Mata will pin back Juve tonight hopefully and Ramires or Oscar can mark Pirlo. Vucinic and Giovino will be ones to watch for Mikel Terry and Luiz.

To stop Pirlo will be a huge task, Spain struggled in their first Euro game to get near him and England couldnt cope all night, but we have to pin somebody close to him to break up his rhythm.

For that i'd pick Ramires and play him in RM but to come off the wing and close down the play, whoever is playing left sdie would have to do that from his side to so make the pitch very narrow when we dont have it, wingers inside and FB's at no further then the egdes of the box but when we break punish them on the outside.

Team should be :

Cech
    Ivan Luiz JT Cole
    Mikel Lampard
    Ramires Hazard Mata
    Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

To stop Pirlo will be a huge task, Spain struggled in their first Euro game to get near him and England couldnt cope all night, but we have to pin somebody close to him to break up his rhythm.

Should have signed Park Ji Sung :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why isn't this match on RTE, instead of the 4-0 Utd non-contest?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why isn't this match on RTE, instead of the 4-0 Utd victory?

Utd are better supported then us so it guarntees more viewers.

If we were on RTE and Utd were on UTV, RTE's viewer figures would be down alot I reckon. :p

Juve's midfield is easily superior particularly centrally, Vidal would definitely slot into the Chelsea team alongside Pirlo, he's an absolute beast with one of the best all round midfield games in world footbal. Marchisio is also better than Chelsea's central midfield options. They can play Isla and Asamoah in this area too or on the flanks in their 5 man midfield as well as Lichtsteiner and Giaccherini who are both very good options.

Juve's defence has been a bit shaky this season in a couple of league games but they conceeded the fewest goals in all the big leagues in Europe last season, wheras Chelsea were regularly shipping plenty in the premier league and as I said earlier I don't think they defended all that well in the Champions league but rather benifit from some poor finishing from usually clutch players who were off their game.

I have said that Chelsea are a good bit stronger up front, enough talent to hurt anyone in this area but still maintain Juve have the stronger overall team.

Juve's midfield is easily superior particularly centrally, Vidal would definitely slot into the Chelsea team alongside Pirlo, he's an absolute beast with one of the best all round midfield games in world footbal. Marchisio is also better than Chelsea's central midfield options. They can play Isla and Asamoah in this area too or on the flanks in their 5 man midfield as well as Lichtsteiner and Giaccherini who are both very good options.

Juve's defence has been a bit shaky this season in a couple of league games but they conceeded the fewest goals in all the big leagues in Europe last season, wheras Chelsea were regularly shipping plenty in the premier league and as I said earlier I don't think they defended all that well in the Champions league but rather benifit from some poor finishing from usually clutch players who were off their game.

I have said that Chelsea are a good bit stronger up front, enough talent to hurt anyone in this area but still maintain Juve have the stronger overall team.

Id happily keep Ramires and Lampard than Vidal and Marchisio thanks.

Id happily keep Ramires and Lampard than Vidal and Marchisio thanks.

Ok, I doubt a fan with a subjective view on this would be too happy with that decision heh.

Apparent team is :

Cech
    Ivan luiz jt cole
    mikel lamps
    ramires oscar hazard
    torres

Not confirmed yet but is all over twitter so hold ye're horses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement