Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cot bed v's junior bed

Options
  • 18-09-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

DS has moved from a crib into a cot and I'm wondering if we should move him into a cot bed next or straight into a junior bed. He is 9 months.

What did you use? Any hints or tips are most welcome :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would move him straight to a normal bed next but you have plenty of time to decide,most kids are at least 2 before they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My eldest was almost 3 when she moved out of a cot & into a standard single bed. My youngest was about 2.5 when we moved her out of the cot & into a standard single bed. Cots have *loads* of room for such small people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Moved my wee man from cot to ordinary single bed at 22 months. Number 2 was on her way so I needed the cot. Also, figured it was better to move him before he learned to escape. He got out of the bed a handful of nights, but no problem since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd get a cot bed. No way would I put a baby into a regular bed before they could understand if they roll they fall!

I dunno Ells. Is it the done thing now to put them into beds? I'm just looking at my 11 month old and thinking the amount he mooches round the cot(even with a gro bag), I can't see me putting him in a bed until he's 2. Maybe I'm a bit OTT, but he would easily get over those barriers and even if it is low to the ground and he gets there safely, he has free reign to crawl around then?

You can get cots in IKEA that convert into beds when they're a little older?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've a 13 month old and I've started work on getting him out of the cot and into a bed -- No. 2 will be along in Feb which means no changes from Nov on, and I see no reason why he can't be in a bed before then. To be fair though, he's a pretty good sleeper, and the bed is the IKEA bunk bed thing with the mattress on the floor. The worst that can happen is that he scooches himself out onto the landing. :)

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Yeah well that was my question - do I move him into for bed or a junior bed (with bars on the side)? It just for space for him more than anything.

Yeah well you have my answer :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Yeah well that was my question - do I move him into for bed or a junior bed (with bars on the side)? It just for space for him more than anything.

If you want a definitive answer, give definitive data. Does the child wander around a lot in it's sleep? Is the bed you want raised off the ground? If the answer is yes in either case, isn't the answer obvious?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement