Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People that save money?

• 18-09-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

The people that are lucky enough to have a little extra cash left from the their wages after bills, mortgages, food, leisure (pub, cinema etc) What exactly do you save for ?
    Holidays, car, bigger house, a rainy day :confused:

Reason I ask is because I was lucky enough to clear off all my loans recently and I've started to save a little each week but I don't know what exactly I'm saving for...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    The people that are lucky enough to have a little extra cash left from the their wages after bills, mortgages, food, leisure (pub, cinema etc) What exactly do you save for ?

Reason I ask is because I was lucky enough to clear off all my loans recently and I've started to save a little each week but I don't know what exactly I'm saving for...

saving for anything really, car could go tits up and i need a bit of cash quickly to sort it or i might need to fly somewhere in a hurry for an emergency or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just to have money for the unexpected stuff life throws at you.

Well, that and a weekend of coke and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm saving for a deposit on a house. Very very very very very slowly saving mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Husbands the saver(maniacally imo), I'm the spender:) I will however save for something like a pair of boots or anything under a couple of hundred quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I always try have a minimum of €1000 savings - whether it be savings for emergencies, holidays, unexpected bills - just a reserve that I can dip into if I need.

I orginally started saving for when my contract runs out at work and in case I'd have to spend a month or so looking for a new position I'd have enough to cover my rent and living for a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I used to be great at saving and would be ready for all emergencies.
    In the last few years though money is akin to sand slipping through my fingers.

It is usually used to safeguard against the unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I'm lucky that the sector I'm employed in hasnt suffered in the downturn it is a sector where global restructuring can lead to redundancies. I always ensure I have 6 months of salary in the bank as a safety net.

Holidays and such I tend to spend my bonuses on rather than dip into savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the proverbial rainy day/roof leak is what I save for, Ireland is now a nation of savers. Which is in part why the high street shops are empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I had been saving by cutting back on alcohol and eating less junk food.

But now the feckin nanny state tells me that I'm not allowed to sell my own kidneys?

Bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Whilst I'm lucky that the sector I'm employed in hasnt suffered in the downturn it is a sector where global restructuring can lead to redundancies. I always ensure I have 6 months of salary in the bank as a safety net.

Holidays and such I tend to spend my bonuses on rather than dip into savings.

Undertaker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Madam wrote: »
    Husbands the saver(maniacally imo), I'm the spender:) I will however save for something like a pair of boots or anything under a couple of hundred quid.

So you're a sponge. What a catch (albeit with nice boots) you must be - lucky fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Undertaker?

Meth cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I only started saving just over a year ago after years of being a spender! Albeit a small spender - penneys style....river island at a push but I used to spend every euro I had.

It was only when I got into a serious relationship with someone I'm mad about who has little money that it suddenly dawned on me all the things I wanted in life...house, children etc....so I started saving....like most people it's a small amount weekly but its building...

But definietly saving for the future...as opposed to emergencies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Akrasia wrote: »
    I had been saving by cutting back on alcohol

Brew your own.

Better quality.

You can drink more.

And still save money.

Treble win. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've only recently started saving money. Don't know how I managed to p*ss away most of what I earned before but wish I hadn't now. Saving money comes in really handy if something goes wrong. And if something doesn't go wrong, you can treat yourself better than if you'd been spending little amounts on smaller treats each week/month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Penn wrote: »
    I've only recently started saving money. Don't know how I managed to p*ss away most of what I earned before but wish I hadn't now. Saving money comes in really handy if something goes wrong. And if something doesn't go wrong, you can treat yourself better than if you'd been spending little amounts on smaller treats each week/month.

It really doesn't work like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Retirement, sadly. No way in hell I'm working until I'm 68 or near it. The idea of being too old to actually live life to near its fullest on the first day of your retirement is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I've saved €500 per month for the last 4.5 years religiously! Didn't miss one installment. I found having a s.o. coming out of my account made me save as opposed to throwing in a bit everynow and again.

It was ultimately for a deposit for me and my girlfriend, but she had her own savings also.

Now during this time we also managed a trip to Oz for 6wks, something that I saved extra for. I'm lucky where I have the option to earn a little extra every now and again.

Back to the savings aspect, mine is there for the what if's? What if my cousin decides to get married in L.A.? or if I want to buy something for our house, I know that the money is there.

Lastly, my biggest expenditure bar none was beer. I love my beer, but luckily, i play a bit of ball so it curtails it a little. Going out and then going for 'a few' the following morning/day/evening, could cost me anywhere between €150 - €300. Cutting back (but not totaolly abandoning) those super sundays/mondays was huge. Saved me a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

So you're a sponge. What a catch (albeit with nice boots) you must be - lucky fella!

Eh? I'll have you know I work for my money! Don't be thinking the husband is some downtrodden victim - he has his 'luxuries.' I have mine - which just so happens to be shoes(and the odd bottle of good wine)! His is football season tickets, following his team when in Europe(be that Celtic or Scotland), likes his beer too! Besides we couldn't afford another sponge as we have one already - a teenage daughter in other words:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I've been saving for couple years,and always had two /three grand in my account,but recently i made some useless purchases that made my account shrink to less than 2000e.It made me feel like a poor man :( ,had to cut all my spending and unneeded purchases just to stand up again.But basically i dont have a reason or a need to save for something particularly ,but ability to know that you could afford something when a need arises is enough to motivate me to save and have that ability.Once you have enough money put aside for couple months/year,then you feel relaxed and financially free as you dont need to count every euro with every small bit or item you purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

God I'd love to have savings :)

But having young kids has me wiped out at the end of every month. We're at the stage of trying to find stuff to cut back on that we feel we could sacrifice. By no means paupers but no way would I be able to save the amounts mentioned on thread. Maybe once my loans are gone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

RedXIV wrote: »
    God I'd love to have savings :)

But having young kids has me wiped out at the end of every month. We're at the stage of trying to find stuff to cut back on that we feel we could sacrifice. By no means paupers but no way would I be able to save the amounts mentioned on thread. Maybe once my loans are gone :D

+1 to that.There is always an activity to be paid for,a party to go to(with presents) an item of clothing/footwear to be paid for,school "donations",book rental and then you have to feed them :eek: :eek:

Probably too late to give them back......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Renovation on a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Holidays....always holidays. If I didnt get a holiday from this place I think Id go mad.

Couldnt care less about cars and things, because petrol and huge engines are such a waste of bloody money. Even my 1.4L is a gigantic drain on my wallet.

and when I say holiday I usually mean something a bit more exciting than the same spanish resort everybody goes to every year to sleep in the sun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Vegas baby yeah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm saving up for a race spec go kart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Madam wrote: »

My wife and I assumed that the other was saving money, imagine the calamity when we found out that neither of us were.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I save for my next project. Not sure what that'll be yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Everytime I start saving John Q. Taxman comes and takes it away from me.

I gotta stop going out drinking with that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am saving to pay off my mortgage. Not to far to go. I don't like having any sort of debt hanging over my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

I have an so of 150 that goes into a credit union account a 4 hour drive away from me :) That's for longterm savings - college for the kids eventually (they are only toddlers now so plenty time).

My husband has a credit union account where we live and that is for short term savings. We try to top that off when he get unexpected money like a bonus.

I also have an online savings account which we try to put in a minimum of 250 a month into - that is for renovations. If I have money left over at the end of the month it all goes into savings.

We don't take foreign holidays at the moment as we need to get these renovations done. I have a budget spreadsheet and I put in everything I spend and categorize it. It's painful but very useful as you see what times of year you need to have extra money in for (car insurance and tax all comes at the same time:rolleyes:).

I was never this obsessive about it but since I've had kids I've had to make sure we have the security of savings. You just never know what's going to come along and you need a buffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well instead of getting a loan, you actually save to purchase the product/service.
    It's very novel :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well instead of getting a loan, you actually save to purchase the product/service.
    It's very novel :cool:

ah yes, of course, need 1K to get your car fixed so you can get to work? Don't get a loan, save for a few months, your job will wait!

Need to fly over for a family funeral, forget a loan! save up! the funeral will wait, they are dead, they aren't going anywhere! 2 months is nothing to a dead man :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Exactly, RedXIV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What exactly do you save for ?

wedding
    building a house
    flying home twice in the next 12 months from NZ
    new car
    inevitable repairs to the current shitty car
    holiday to some pacific island or other
    model trains
    flash new bike
    and of course the proverbial rainy day (aka funds for just in case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

What exactly do you save for ?

Saving for...

- Buying a bigger house on a few acres rather than the current semi-detached in a housing estate

- Pension

- Future child costs

- Rainey day fund if needed

- A deposit to borrow for an investment property

- Buy things like a car without having to borrow money at crazy interest rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

New mortgage (and a house thats too big)
    Jet Ski I'll use for exactly 12 hours before it goes on DoneDeal
    Car that drinks petrol and has room for 2 modern kids (and associated toys, child seats)
    Overpriced kitchen appliances from Brown Thomas (made in China, same internal parts as ones from the pound shop)
    30k fitted kitchen I won't use because I'll get take-away

Celtic tiger the responsible way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Jeez I had to check this was a after hours thread, it seems very sensible comments on here !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't save for anything in particular, but I am in a position to put money aside now, so if I decide to buy a house/car etc the cash is there. I have a good job but nothing is permanent and I hate the thought of having nothing if I wasn't able to work for a time. I've not got kids or a mortgage so I guess that's a lot of money that can go into savings that others wouldn't have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement