Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking post supports

Options
  • 18-09-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just received delivery of the wood for my timber decking. I was originally going to dig holes for the deck posts (off of which my beams were going to be supported) but am wondering now whether I need to or not.

The deck will measure roughly 4 m X 6.5 m so is a good size. the ground onto which the deck will be constructed currently has 50 mm of gravel on weed membrane on compacted topsoil. My Plan B would be to support each post off say 2 square concrete paving slabs.

Was hoping that someone with past experience could give me a bit of advice?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just received delivery of the wood for my timber decking. I was originally going to dig holes for the deck posts (off of which my beams were going to be supported) but am wondering now whether I need to or not.

The deck will measure roughly 4 m X 6.5 m so is a good size. the ground onto which the deck will be constructed currently has 50 mm of gravel on weed membrane on compacted topsoil. My Plan B would be to support each post off say 2 square concrete paving slabs.

Thanks.

D.

i'd go with the paving slabs of your options...but deffo put waterproof stuff on the bottom & sides of the posts (where its touching the paving slab )

main thing is that if u do it, do it right...otherwise if something goes wrong you'll regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

D.
    What you want to achieve is zero bounce once deck is built. One system wound be to set 4" solids on their side at intervals on concrete to be all exactly same level then build deck frame on these. The closer these blocks are the less chance of bounce.
    By placing a post on a slab thats resting on loose pebbles gives scope for movement resulting in bounce. Whatever method you use , once frame is built and level walk allalong each joist to check there s no downward movement, if you find some simply put a strut on the joist at that point resting on a slab. Hope this makes sense. PM me if need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi guys - thanks for the advice. The decking is going down today and decided to get a bit of help from a chippy friend of mine. We laying a lean mix of concrete under the paving slabs and protecting the wood with DPC. should be a secure job.

Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement