Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green tomatoes

Options
  • 18-09-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my first attempt at growing tomatoes has been fairly successful and I've had about 100 nice ripe red ones come good in the last few weeks, however there are a couple of 100 green ones left on the plants now and as the weather appears to changed now for the worst, are they likely to ripen or should I pick them all and leave on the windowsill? The leaves on the plants are certainly starting to look bedraggled .
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

Hi, not clear if you are plants are inside or outside, if they are inside defintely leave to ripen. If outside I would recommend leaving also and just monitoring the weather a few bright sunny days will ripen the majority of them

I have my tomatoes in tunnel with half ripe and half steel green will leave to ripen until end of October/early November after that it is chutney time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

ditto in polly t, except mine are just starting to ripen, due to first set of seedlings not making it. I can remember pulling a few tomatoes off end of october a few years ago so I'm still hopeful for a decent crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I have some green ones in a polytunnel which I am leaving to ripen, but I made my very first chutney last night with the ones I had in a less well protected greenhouse. Tastes great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Begs wrote: »
    I have some green ones in a polytunnel which I am leaving to ripen, but I made my very first chutney last night with the ones I had in a less well protected greenhouse. Tastes great!
    Thank you Begs, would you have a recipe for the Chutney by any chance please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

mattb74 wrote: »

;) Google is your friend - green tomato chutney recipes

I use the Delia Smith's one, but only use half the amount of ground ginger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

can I ask what people do with their plants in winter? Is it a case of throw them away and start afresh next year?

This is my second year trying to grow tomato plants....only got a few (green tomatoes) last year..this year i put the plants into a grow bag and got a few ripe tomatoes, and currently have a load of green ones on them (hoping they ripen!)

otherwise its green tomatoe chutney time for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Yep...take them up and into the compost with them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

mattb74 wrote: »

Hi, as was posted I just googled it and used that recipe.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grans-Green-Tomato-Chutney/

The only adjustment I made was to add half a dried chilli. Made it a little hotter but still tasty - I made about 5 jars and I now only have 3 left.

Advertisement