Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed slow.....

Options
  • 18-09-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

2187149261.png

Over the past week or so I've been noticing that my broadband is slower than usual. I used to get arround 3Mb/s not great but better than the 1Mb/s I'm getting not. I'm living in a town and don't see why my line can only handle up to 4Mb/s? Even though I'm paying for 8Mb/s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

briggy wrote: »
    2187149261.png

Over the past week or so I've been noticing that my broadband is slower than usual. I used to get arround 3Mb/s not great but better than the 1Mb/s I'm getting not. I'm living in a town and don't see why my line can only handle up to 4Mb/s? Even though I'm paying for 8Mb/s.

Hi briggy

I have tested your line and its testing perfectly fine.The maximum speed is 4mb, your current broadband package is up to 8mb with unlimited download allowance.

With our NGB product, eircom will supply the maximum speed that your line can accept without affecting reliability and also the products are all sold as "up to" the advertised speed, which is normally less than 8mb. There are many reasons why this can occur, usually distance from the exchange. The DSL will travel roughly 8km before the signal drops off completely, with speed reducing gradually along the way. You are then charged depending on what download allowance you have with the package.

Thanks
    Linda

(logged in as Ant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

2187149261.png

Give it a few years mate Eircom will eventually be gone and we might get some decent speeds for a change in rural areas. Eircom, will not give up on line rental mate this will there downfall eventually. This why they will not upgrade.

This is why UPC is number 1 in urban areas and always will be. The younger generation don't want their phones. The fact is majority of UPC customers in urban areas are young adults. This will eventually play out in rural areas and young people will switch from useless Eircom to some other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Give it a few years mate Eircom will eventually be gone and we might get some decent speeds for a change in rural areas. Eircom, will not give up on line rental mate this will there downfall eventually. This why they will not upgrade.

This is why UPC is number 1 in urban areas and always will be. The younger generation don't want their phones. The fact is majority of UPC customers in urban areas are young adults. This will eventually play out in rural areas and young people will switch from useless Eircom to some other provider.

Ah but if UPC was available where I love I would be one of the first to sign up even just for the broadband but unfortunately I'm stuck with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Ah but if UPC was available where I love I would be one of the first to sign up even just for the broadband but unfortunately I'm stuck with Eircom.

Eircom, cost of upgrading isn't the problem. They are hesitant, because if they upgrade to Fibre outside city areas. Home customers no longer would need a working phone.

Eircom, therefore make no money of line rental, VAT, and other extra charges. They don't want that.

But eventually new technology will force them out of the broadband market, if they continue the way there going.

UPC has won in urban areas (young people buying their products) I have Eircom too, it be a few years yet, but Eircom will be in trouble when it does come.

Advertisement