Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to allow users to make donations

Options
  • 18-09-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I am looking at the option to include a link in the community website to allow users to easily donate money.

The website is Wordpress based and so far I have looked at these options:
    1 - Paypal for Nonprofits https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/donations
    2 - http://www.easypaymentsplus.ie/
    3 - Too many Wordpress plugins :confused:

Can anyone advise about the best option and also the cheapest (Paypal charges 2.2% per transaction)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Hi,

Can anyone advise about the best option and also the cheapest (Paypal charges 2.2% per transaction)?

How much money do you think you're going to get monthly? Also PayPal charges you that but payments are 99% secure, and you don't need to purchase a SSL cert.

I would start with that and once you reach a certain threshold (20k) switch to another provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Might be worth registering on mycharity.ie

They handle all the payment processing stuff, and have HTML widgets that you can just copy and paste into your site.

Dunno how much they charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PresidentMike

How much money do you think you're going to get monthly?
    I have no idea!
    I would start with that and once you reach a certain threshold (20k) switch to another provider.
    Thanks for your suggestion!

Dave! wrote: »
    Might be worth registering on mycharity.ie

I've never heard about them. It looks like a good option. I'll check them out. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 vin.f

I'm currently working on a site update for a well known support group in Ireland. The site is based on a wordpress framework and I've had to look at donation options. So far, the nicest plugin I've found is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/seamless-donations/. I needed to tweak the code a bit to change the default donation amounts and currency I also decided to change the State's dropdown to a Countries list as States are not applicable in this instance.

However, after all that tweaking it turns out they are using mycharity.ie and have embedded a mycharity widget on their existing site so I bet as soon as they see the page (however useful it may be) it will be trashed in favour of the mycharity embed code.

If you're interested in using the plugin I mentioned above I will happily forward my tweeks so that it caters for more Irish/Eurpean visitors. Just send me a PM.

• Advertisement

vin.f wrote: »
    So far, the nicest plugin I've found is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/seamless-donations/.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Someone also recommended "Donate plus" plugin. I've looked at this and at the plugin you suggested and they all require a Paypal account. So, I think we need to start setting up a Paypal account anyway and after that we can either chose PayPal's buttons or one of these plugins.

I've looked at mycharity.ie and they charge more that PayPal for non-profits.
    Overall Paypal seems to be the way to go, isn't it?

vin.f wrote: »
    If you're interested in using the plugin I mentioned above I will happily forward my tweeks so that it caters for more Irish/Eurpean visitors. Just send me a PM.
    Many thanks! I will let you know if it's needed.

Advertisement