Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best strength exercises and weights for 400m/800m running

• 18-09-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Hi, I used to run 400m/800m in my teens, but gave it up in college.

Since finishing and starting work, I'm now getting back into it, and I'm wondering what the people here think the best exercises to do to help my running would be.

I dabbled in powerlifting for a few months last year, with a 5x5 programme and got my PRs up a fair bit, but I'm not interested in lifting heavy just for the sake of it anymore.

Probably not going to bother benching regularly anymore, concentrating on a mixture of:
    • Circuit training with primarily bodyweight exercises and core work.
    • Pull ups
    • Dips
    • Squats
    • Deadlifting
    • Hangcleans and Powercleans
    I'll probably do gym work twice to three times a week with circuits one day and weights the other one/two.

My bests are:

Squat 110kg
    Bench 92.5kg
    Deadlift 135kg
    Hang Clean 65kg

Height 183cm
    Bodyweight 78kg

I've never really done power cleans, although I will start soon.

I know my bench is disproportionately higher than my squat and DL, but thats because I only started squatting and DL-ing properly just over a year or so ago. At the moment I'd be a bit off those PBs, but would be very close to them after 2 weeks back in the gym.

At the moment I'm between gyms as I moved from Cork to Dublin city a couple of months ago, and haven't joined one yet.

Thinking about westpoint in Blanchardstown, any recommendations?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How often are you... running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah see that's the thing. If I lift too heavy, especially squats and DLs I find my lower back gets very sore if I run the next day. I found that after 5x5 sessions anyway.

Over the winter I plan on having 1 long run at low/very low intensity, and 2 track sessions (or more likely one track and one hill session) which would be higher intensity.

I'd need one day off a week at least so 3 gym sessions (one circuit session, 2 weights) and 3 running.

After Christmas I'll probably drop a gym session and sub it for another run.

I'm coming back after a calf injury at the moment so I haven't done any track sessions yet, just slow miles, building up gradually.

Advertisement