Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little advice please

Options
  • 18-09-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My son failed 2 of his 2nd year exams and repeated them and failed again.

Only got the results when he returned to college yesterday and was told to take the year off and resit the 2 modules either internally or externally and then go onto 3rd year in Sept 2013.

He says he hates his course and has since day one. He has no interest in it and doesn't want to work in that filed at all. He agreed to resit the modules internally and then see about next Sept. He has no idea what he does want to do though.

On the one hand I can understand him not wanting to continue with something he hates but on the other had I think he should just put his head down and get stuck in and finish the 3rd year and hopefully get is degree.

Is it too late to switch to another course?

He was only gone 17 when he started college and I think he rushed into it.

Any advice to steer him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

This might be better in a different forum, maybe personal issues is suitable. Is there no career guidance in the college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

there is guidance in the college - has he spoken to anyone in the college about not liking his course and what me might be interested in doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

If he hates it that much and has no interest in working in that field, then it's probably best just to jack it in. Why waste time on it if you hate it and have no interest? And to be honest a Level 7 degree isn't really worth jack shít these days in fairness. Level 8 is the absolute minimum and 9 would be desireable to have good opportunities. What field was the course in?

Best course of action is to get him to start fresh and review some other courses that he is interested in. Reviewing the courses properly is very important so he doesn't end up back where he is.
    Look at all the subjects and ask the college department to send him out theindicative content of each module in the course. Then he will be able to assess it properly.

He's only 17 so he has plenty time at the moment. I started college properly at 19 so I was the very latest you'd wnat to be starting.
    What area does he have an interest in?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

If he hates it that much and has no interest in working in that field, then it's probably best just to jack it in. Why waste time on it if you hate it and have no interest? And to be honest a Level 7 degree isn't really worth jack shít these days in fairness. Level 8 is the absolute minimum and 9 would be desireable to have good opportunities. What field was the course in?

Best course of action is to get him to start fresh and review some other courses that he is interested in. Reviewing the courses properly is very important so he doesn't end up back where he is.
    Look at all the subjects and ask the college department to send him out theindicative content of each module in the course. Then he will be able to assess it properly.

He's only 17 so he has plenty time at the moment. I started college properly at 19 so I was the very latest you'd wnat to be starting.
    What area does he have an interest in?

Started at 24, seems fine to me.
    Will he get a cert (lvl 6) when he repeats these exams?That would be better than nothing and leave less of a gap in his CV. Also if he started another course that might have similar first year subjects he might get a few exemptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

jesus 17 and done 2 years of college! in fairness if he doesnt like it there isnt much point in continuing. he may as well take the year out and work out what he really wants to do. a degree you have no interest in wont be more than a piece of paper, some people frown on "drop outs" but f them. your wasting your own time, money and the taxpayers with whatever pittance the contribution is now. not to mention when he does work out what he wants to do, he will be paying pull fees on his second degree, nevermind being miserable getting the first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Ok so he's 19 now?

The situation is this:
    He repeats internally - you've to cover the cost of registration(I think) and the cost of the modules he has to sit.
    He repeats externally - you've to cover the cost of the exams he has to sit.
    Then from third year on you go back to paying the usual capitation fee.

If he leaves the course now and starts a new one within 3 years of now, you will have to pay the full fees of the first two years. That's registration + the full course fee. In the case of DIT, that could be about €5,000 (or more) total per year, for the first two years, and then you would be liable for the capitation fee(currently €2250) thereafter. So a four year course would be:
    Year 1: Full fee
    Year 2: Full fee
    Year 3: Capitation fee
    Year 4: Capitation fee

If he waits until those 3 years are passed, he will only have to pay the capitation fee for whatever course he enters for the duration of the degree. However, he'll be 22 by then.

If he waits until he's 23, he could most likely get mature entry to any course he wants plus a maintenance grant.

It's hard to say what to do but if he genuinely doesn't like his course and has no interest in the area then there is absolutely no point in repeating 2nd year, trying to finish what will undoubtedly be two harder years afterwards and then come out of the degree with a low final grade. There's 0 point in it.

Personally I believe his results to be the most telling. He either has no interest in the course or isn't cut out for it, so moving to another course is really the only choice. If you've the money then get him in as soon as possible and pay the first two years full fees, if not then he'll have to wait 'til he's 22/23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

also fyi

the cost of repeating internally can be found here - i.e. depends on level of award and no of ects credits plus €135.00

http://dit.ie/registration/feesandgrants/repeatfees/

the cost of repeating externally is €300.00

http://dit.ie/registration/feesandgrants/non-tuitioncharges/

who has he actually spoken to in DIT cos again there is some good advice available in DIT if he needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 glenealy

Thanks for all the advise and pointers.

He has made an appointment for Thurs with the career guidance dept so hopefully something will be sorted out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

he 100% should not continue with this course, and it's not close. i was in a simliar situation a few years ago and so was my girlfriend. i left and am now starting a new course at 23 and am very happy. she "stuck it out" and has been working an a shop for the last 3 years (with a level 8 hons degree in forensics) and is miserable. forcing him to keep up with this will not end well for anyome imo and ime.

Advertisement