Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bass recommendations (for slap!).

• 18-09-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hey peeps. Thinking of forking out for a new/second hand bass. Been playing Bass for over 20 years and never really shopped around. I find a guitar that feels right and does what I want and stay with it.

At the mo I've got a Fender Jazz Deluxe adn a fretless. I play though a GenzBenz 675W. I really want a bass with nice low action that's really suited for slap (nice crisp mids). Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I dont really see why your Fender Jazz Deluxe would not do the job. :confused:

Get it set up (or do it yourself) with a low action, and put on a set of DR "Fat Beams" or such like, strings.

You'll save yourself a fortune.

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/fat-beams-marcus-miller-signature-series

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Just itchy for a change really. Fender JD is a monster but I've played nothing but Fender J's of some description for years. Heard some of the high range Warwicks were great for funk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Rigsby wrote: »
    I dont really see why your Fender Jazz Deluxe would not do the job. :confused:

+1

On the other hand if you're really itching to get your hands on a new bass for slapping IMO you really can't go wrong with most Warwicks. I've played a good few of them and found the Corvette Standard with Bubinga body to be particularly good for slapping with a very crisp, lively and funky tone. Other good options, which I have played - $$ (double bucks) are versitile beasts and you'll find a great range of slap tones available. The Thumb bass is also pretty cool with loads of low mids. The the Streamer Stage I or II and Jazzman are all superb for slap and funk (as well as anything else you throw at them).

As I said above, specifically for slapping, the Corvette Standard with Bubinga body did it for me - although all the other basses I mentioned are more versitile (they are also more expensive). You should pick up a Corvette for around €1,100 new or they appear from time to time on adverts for around €600.

One thing to note about Warwicks is that they offer a few different neck types, the default neck being fairly chunky. You'll definately want to try before you buy but for me the chunky neck really adds to the tone of the bass and it was something I was willing to get used to (having smallish hands)

Thanks Auti. Was kind of leaning towards a Warwick, so its good to get a solid recommendation on the Corvette. The Fender JD is great and has it all for me, lovely deep defined tones and keeps those glassy mids when you need them. But sometimes a change is good just for the hell of it. Tried out a Musicman stingray a while back and I just didnt like the feel of it.

One of the benefits of having a Genz set-up is that it doesnt hijack the natural sound of your bass. If you're playing through a Trace or Hartke it doesnt really matter what kind of bass youre playing. Its going to sound like the amp. So i'm kind of curious to try different basses out.

Cheers for the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Op I remember having the same thoughts. Played MM and wanted to try slap. A few years back went for lessons and explained my plans to the guy doing the lessons. He picked up my bass slapped away and handed it back saying nothing wrong with what you got....

Setup is crucial as mentioned. It's all down to technique.

• Advertisement

Technique is A1. Been playing slap for a good while and stuff like Primus, Level 42, RHCP etc is not a problem. Just looking for a change of bass and some basses I've tried have been dull with poor pickups etc. You can get a slap tone out of them but it is sometimes dull, without the glassy mids and percussive sound you need. IMHO the guitar does affect the sound.

Advertisement