Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the verdict of 4S users? Worth upgrading or better holding off for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Twice now I've got to beyond 90% download only for it to fail, saying something about corrupted download and an error 1403.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think they will have to release a map app soon.

Competition or not Google Maps have lost a lot of users overnight and that effects advertising revenue and also user data that they depend on.
    Johnmb wrote: »
    I remember reading some analysis from earlier this year that showed that Google made considerably more money from advertising on iOS devices than they do from advertising on Android. Since that's the only way they can make money, it'll be in their own best interests to get a new maps app out asap.

Yeah fair point I hadn't thought of that. But don't forget Google have a stake in Motorola and there have been lawsuits going on etc etc.

Google might take the chance to dig the boot in for a month or two. don't forget Steve Jobs declared jihad on android

If I were Google I'd take the hit on advertising for maybe 2 or 3 months - put out the line that 'oh we are very sorry Apple cut us out and we didn't have time to react but we are doing our best give us a few weeks'

Even if they have the app sitting waiting to go it would be a PR coup and possibly help Motorola and Samgung etc to sell more phones.

Also interesting to see whether windows 8 will have google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What's the verdict of 4S users? Worth upgrading or better holding off for now?

It's really not *that* much different. Weather has a new font, camera has a new look, some colours have changed, maps is obviously new, YouTube is gone and you have to use the podcasts app as they're no longer in Music.

Haven't come across anything major worth worrying about so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

New Emoji icons. That's me happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've reverted to 5.1.1

iOS6 rendered the iPod Touch 4G a nightmare - App Store wouldn't load, podcasts wouldn't stream or download, wifi problems etc.

I'll come back to it in a couple of months, presumably its rollout had to coincide with iPhone5 release, but it appears some way off being stable.

Upgraded my iTouch G4 to iOS6 no problem, working like a breeze.

The Airfield park thingy made macrumours frontpage :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1447499

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Maybe I'm wrong and just missed it (so not very successful if it was there) but I don't remember seeing ads when I used google maps on my phone

Maybe I'm wrong and just missed it (so not very successful if it was there) but I don't remember seeing ads when I used google maps on my phone

Good point - just checked it there - no ads on my HTC phone or ipad version of google maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

There are no specific ads, but it's all the POI bits. When you click on a POI to get more info, that comes from Google in their maps app, but comes from (mainly) Yelp in Apple's app. When you then click into that link, whoever provided it now gets the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Every time you searched a service, the results you got are due to paid advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's really not *that* much different. Weather has a new font, camera has a new look, some colours have changed, maps is obviously new, YouTube is gone and you have to use the podcasts app as they're no longer in Music.

Haven't come across anything major worth worrying about so far.

New App Store
    DO Not Disturb
    Mail upgrade, VIP
    Panorama in Camera
    Passbook (when it gets up and runniing)
    Siri is hugely improved with better Irish localisation.

My 4S ran out of power as of 4.40pm.
    That has never happened before.
    Wifi downloading is piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

What's this half moon shape beside time on top of my phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    What's this half moon shape beside time on top of my phone

It means Do Not Disturb is switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Ios6 just ruined my phone! it turned the phone off during install wouldnt come back on, when it came back on it did all different things to what itunes wanted it to do. I did it through the cable. Now all my notes, calender stuff and pictures are gone! and can't get into some apps and app store won't leave me download more.

Thanks Apple! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Downloaded and installed on my iP4 last night with no issues or obvious battery drain. Success!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I wonder will Map-gate settle quicker than antenna-gate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Ios6 just ruined my phone! it turned the phone off during install wouldnt come back on, when it came back on it did all different things to what itunes wanted it to do. I did it through the cable. Now all my notes, calender stuff and pictures are gone! and can't get into some apps and app store won't leave me download more.

Why did you turn the phone off? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ehcocmeo wrote: »
    Why did you turn the phone off? :confused::confused:

He didnt say he turned it off. it did it by itself.

same thing happened when i updated my ipad 2 last night. it was left alone updating OTA and when i came back it had gone into dfu mode. had to do a full update and restore via itunes and then (luckily) an icloud restore to get everything back.

as much as i'd like the siri improvments on my 4s i'm not updating due to the clusterf**k that is apple maps, and it really disappoints me to say that. it could have been a killer app, and now it looks like the app to kill ios6.

hurry up google, we need you badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It means Do Not Disturb is switched on.
    I swear I've seen that on my iP4 and I don't have it switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

I updated my 4s to ios6 last night, then on my way to work this morning, I got a message from 3 that id used €10 of internet, which soon went up to €20 even though I closed all my apps. dont know what using up the data. turned off cellular since. anyone have this issue or know a reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

mk7775 wrote: »
    I updated my 4s to ios6 last night, then on my way to work this morning, I got a message from 3 that id used €10 of internet, which soon went up to €20 even though I closed all my apps. dont know what using up the data. turned off cellular since. anyone have this issue or know a reason why?

Cos 3 like to fleece you for out of plan data?

I'm with 3 and had AYCE until fri, come saturday without so much as opening an app I was told I used €10.16 since the friday on data

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Downloaded iOS 6 on my 4s today, now won't let me access iTunes store to download apps linked to Passbook. Even trying to access the app store directly won't work anymore, pop up just says "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

Any help how to rectify this would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Jayzus... that's just down the road from me and directly in the flight path to Baldonnel! Hope the government pilot doesn't get confused and drop Enda in the a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

jayod30 wrote: »
    Downloaded iOS 6 on my 4s today, now won't let me access iTunes store to download apps linked to Passbook. Even trying to access the app store directly won't work anymore, pop up just says "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

I had the same problem, just keep at it, open and close the app a couple of times, if that does not work turn the phone off and back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

jayod30 wrote: »

Getting exactly the same - I can install new apps, but I can't get updates - just "cannot connect to iTunes"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Getting exactly the same - I can install new apps, but I can't get updates - just "cannot connect to iTunes"

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hunter21 wrote: »

But you did back up first? and you did get latest itunes before attempting update?, if so why cant you just back up the phone and try again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tumblr_mansd4ynYN1rhptwbo1_1280.png

Advertisement