Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

251697_10151194712844866_518285903_n.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

decies wrote: »
    How does the shared photo stream to a friend work ?

A little annoyed with what this upgrade has offered me on the iPhone 4. We don't get the panoramic view camera.

We loose a working maps which is replaced by a rubbish one and they switch off the 3d version even though it would work fine

Passbook doesn't work

You now need a seperate app for podcasts

Clicking a YouTube clip on safari wont open it up on the app as before

There's a reason to jailbreak again due to available features switched off. All this does is convince me not to upgrade to an iPhone. I have the phone less than 18 months and it was the best option a year ago and they're already switching off features for it. Ye'd swear they had no compitition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My podcasts are fine

523759_4021856019591_1711962473_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mine were too until I got the pod app then they shifted over and aren't available in Music anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Which app? I already have podcast box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kenno90 wrote: »

Apple better approve it though

Can't see them doing that, if they do that they're admitting how awful their MAPS are and that they need to back pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Kenno90 wrote: »

Apple better approve it though

Can't see them doing that, if they do that they're admitting how awful their MAPS are and that they need to back pedal.

But there are already Map Apps in the App Store so how can they justify NOT approving it?

Plus it could be a PR disaster if they dont. A deal breaker for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cloud493 wrote: »
    Which app? I already have podcast box.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/podcasts/id525463029?mt=8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

colly10 wrote: »
    A little annoyed with what this upgrade has offered me on the iPhone 4. We don't get the panoramic view camera.

We loose a working maps which is replaced by a rubbish one and they switch off the 3d version even though it would work fine

Passbook doesn't work

You now need a seperate app for podcasts

Clicking a YouTube clip on safari wont open it up on the app as before

There's a reason to jailbreak again due to available features switched off. All this does is convince me not to upgrade to an iPhone. I have the phone less than 18 months and it was the best option a year ago and they're already switching off features for it. Ye'd swear they had no compitition.

There are technical reasons why they do this, for the most part. The 4 is old technology now. It does mean you can continue to update apps which use the new os API.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    But there are already Map Apps in the App Store so how can they justify NOT approving it?

Of course they will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

I absolutely agree with it being a deal breaker, I'm refusing to upgrade to iOS6 for this reason alone and I won't even consider a new iPhone until I know the google map app is there.

But my biggest fears will Apple be too proud to go back on it. I understand your point as well about there being plenty of Map Apps on the App store but none of them were pre-set on the iphones like google maps, there may be a dispute between the two companies at the moment or it may be an ego issue that results in Apple not backing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

thewing wrote: »
    Maps - this is an embarrassment for Apple, one I feel should impact the share price (prob won't) to wake them up

Overall, everything runs a little bit slicker on my 4

Begs the question now for me - why bother with the 5? An extra row of icons? Couple more megapixel in a camera I don't really use? Siri?!

Think i'll hold of for the 5s

That rationale makes No sense. In 12 months time the I phone 5s will prob be faster, thinner and lighter.

It's getting to the stage where there isn't a whole lot they can do with hardware and its all about software.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't get too excited. Jim Dalrymple has responded to this rumour with his trademark "nope". He's extremely well connected at Apple.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don't get too excited. Jim Dalrymple has responded to this rumour with his trademark "nope". He's extremely well connected at Apple.

Himself and fireball are basically PR people for apple though, so 'nope' could mean anything from Google have submitted it, but Apple aren't considering it to Apple have already rejected it, or aren't going to consider it to it actually being incorrect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, he was clearly responding to the rumour that the app had been submitted.

And neither of them are Apple PR. Apple fan(boy)s perhaps, but not PR. And no, it's not the same thing.

Edit:
    Anyway, I doubt Google will beat around the bush. It's not in their interest to do so. The only reason they got into the phone business was to protect their search/advertising business. If they could put Google Maps on your washing machine they would. :D

I hate the new coloured/transparent menubar. Hopefully Apple will add an option to turn this off or something. As already said, it's really distracting.

New App Store will take some getting used to. It still needs some tweaking. Search is useless! I don't care for the imported Chomp elements. Don't know what they saw in that app. The store itself is much faster and more responsive, though, which is great.

Also very pleased to see that the WiFi iPad now has usage stats since last charge. Why it didn't have this in the first place is beyond me.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with it being a deal breaker, I'm refusing to upgrade to iOS6 for this reason alone and I won't even consider a new iPhone until I know the google map app is there.

But my biggest fears will Apple be too proud to go back on it. I understand your point as well about there being plenty of Map Apps on the App store but none of them were pre-set on the iphones like google maps, there may be a dispute between the two companies at the moment or it may be an ego issue that results in Apple not backing down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drew the old "duplicates core iOS functionality" card as an excuse to reject it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dont know if this is iOS6 or iTunes related, but i am syncing my iPhone 5 and in my contacts tab, i have no option to sync with yahoo. only outlook, google and windows :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Guys,

Until Google release their apps map, go to http://maps.google.com and add the site to your home screen. Works like a charm - ish..

Will do until they release an app!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

There are technical reasons why they do this, for the most part. The 4 is old technology now. It does mean you can continue to update apps which use the new os API.

It was the latest technology up to about a year ago and they are capable of showing both the 3d maps and offering the panoramic camera but they choose not to. The phone is not that old and still on contract so I would expect longer support for what was an expensive phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's my own fault for jumping in and updating despite knowing the issues but I'm not too impressed with it and don't get all the praise that people are giving it.

We all know the Maps issue but as for the rest of the new things, I'm not into sharing stuff and have no interest in people sharing stuff with me (I hate having to look at other people's photos!) so all that Facebook integration stuff means nothing to me.

And having VIP list in Mail is hardly groundbreaking now is it and the do not disturb thing is just a gimmick. Turn your ringer off and don't have the vibrate on I'd you don't want to be disturbed.

I don't think Safari is noticeably quicker now either despite what some people are saying. That reminds me of the Jimmy Kimmel clip when people were shown the 4s and told it was a 5.

So what other great stuff am I missing out on that is so much better than what was there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's my own fault for jumping in and updating despite knowing the issues but I'm not too impressed with it and don't get all the praise that people are giving it.

We all know the Maps issue but as for the rest of the new things, I'm not into sharing stuff and have no interest in people sharing stuff with me (I hate having to look at other people's photos!) so all that Facebook integration stuff means nothing to me.

And having VIP list in Mail is hardly groundbreaking now is it and the do not disturb thing is just a gimmick. Turn your ringer off and don't have the vibrate on I'd you don't want to be disturbed.

I don't think Safari is noticeably quicker now either despite what some people are saying. That reminds me of the Jimmy Kimmel clip when people were shown the 4s and told it was a 5.

So what other great stuff am I missing out on that is so much better than what was there before?
    I agree, Safari performance is unchanged! And what's the story with getting rid of You Tube? That sucks. I can't find an App for it either in the new store. I can in the old store, which is useless as there's an inbuilt App anyway. I just upgraded my iPad to iOS6 to check it out, but going by what I've found, the iPhone will remain on iOS 5.1.1 for a while yet.
    Don't get the You Tube absence though, and don't get why no one seems to care much yet, so that makes me wonder what I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Karsini wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drew the old "duplicates core iOS functionality" card as an excuse to reject it.

Bad form if they do given that Apples Maps don't even carry out its own core functionality never mind the fact it doesnt have streetview.

I used streetview a lot for stuff. Unless your Batman and planning your route the 3D Flyover thing is nothing more than a gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    And what's the story with getting rid of You Tube? That sucks. I can't find an App for it either in the new store.

What is wrong with some people. It was explained moths back that the youtube app was going. Google have released a proper you tube app to replace the absolutely woeful one that shipped with iOS. If you actually go to the app store, select Charts it's the top app in the free section. Took me all of 3 seconds to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

SH!T.... I seem to have bricked my girlfriends phone.
    I updated mine the night before.... no problems.
    set hers to update last night....went to sleep leaving the uodate running as I did with my own, when we woke up the phone was in restore mode (USB and iTunes icon)
    I've tried restoring it 3 times now and it keeps failing for unknown reasons.

Anyone else with this issue, and know how to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

NIALL D wrote: »
    havin a few problems since i updated last night...

my push mail isnt working , only when i go into mail and refresh then the emails come through .... has happened 5 times today , every time the emails were a few hours old !!
    before i updated they always came through when they were sent !!

check settings but everything is fine .... ???

wifi is fcuked !! constantly coming and going .. it might connect , then it could disconnect after 5 seconds or 30 seconds or a few minutes.....

any help appreciated...

anyone ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

iregk wrote: »
    What is wrong with some people. It was explained moths back that the youtube app was going. Google have released a proper you tube app to replace the absolutely woeful one that shipped with iOS. If you actually go to the app store, select Charts it's the top app in the free section. Took me all of 3 seconds to find it.
    Explained to who? I don't follow all things Apple like a sheep, so I may have missed that.
    And I don't bother checking charts if I want to find something in App Store, I usually type exactly what I'm looking for and expect the results to show it to me if it's there.
    So following your instructions, I've searched the charts, and no sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

SH!T.... I seem to have bricked my girlfriends phone.
    I updated mine the night before.... no problems.
    set hers to update last night....went to sleep leaving the uodate running as I did with my own, when we woke up the phone was in restore mode (USB and iTunes icon)
    I've tried restoring it 3 times now and it keeps failing for unknown reasons.

Anyone else with this issue, and know how to fix it?

Try a different USB port. Try restarting certainly iTunes but probably the computer too just for completeness. I had a similar issue.

Advertisement