Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

naasrd wrote: »
    My battery went crazy a few days ago, losing about 6% an hour in standby. I did a Reset and it's back to normal and holding really well.

thats what mine is doing, was at 100% leaving for work, sent one text, went on fb for 2-3 mins, down to 92% by the time I got to work about a half hour later, did you do a soft reset or restore through itunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Is it just me, but I don't notice any difference whatsoever with ios6. Only thing I notice is that phone is alot slower and wifi is majorly slow. Went to go for a cycle in the gym yesterday where there is wifi, and I couldn't get on to facebook etc. Had to come down to reception right beside the box, and even then it was still slow. Thought it was just me, but 2 other friends have said the same. Is it possible to change back to ios5? And what are the differences I'm supposed to notice anyway?

On another note, I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone on Bill pay...any idea what price the i phone 6 will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Any one notice huge data usage since upgrading? Yesterday my phone used 500mb on wifi, all os services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

krudler wrote: »
    thats what mine is doing, was at 100% leaving for work, sent one text, went on fb for 2-3 mins, down to 92% by the time I got to work about a half hour later, did you do a soft reset or restore through itunes?

I tried a number of things; first I deleted all recent apps I added, my battery was flying after the iOS 6 update, but I downloaded a few after it. I went into General and reset all settings. Try that and get back if it's not working as the were a few other fixes I came across on the web. For instance I was having a loading problem with the app store, I discovered when I left the app store it was still trying to load in the background and using a little power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Any one notice huge data usage since upgrading? Yesterday my phone used 500mb on wifi, all os services?

That's very interesting as it shows some apps running in the background are using huge data and battery juice. We just need to pin point what are the apps doing it.

• Advertisement

slookie wrote: »
    Is it just me, but I don't notice any difference whatsoever with ios6. Only thing I notice is that phone is alot slower and wifi is majorly slow. Went to go for a cycle in the gym yesterday where there is wifi, and I couldn't get on to facebook etc. Had to come down to reception right beside the box, and even then it was still slow. Thought it was just me, but 2 other friends have said the same. Is it possible to change back to ios5? And what are the differences I'm supposed to notice anyway?

On another note, I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone on Bill pay...any idea what price the i phone 6 will be?

different layout on some screens,new app store, new itunes, new wallpapers, new features? they're not major changes but stuff does look different. its just you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It's definitely the most underwhelming iOS release I've ever come across in terms of a feature set but it does run very well on the 4S and things like do not disturb and quick reply I'm using all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Could someone outline the main features. What is Do Not Disturb, and Quick reply and how do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Could someone outline the main features. What is Do Not Disturb, and Quick reply and how do they work?

DND is in settings and activating it means phone calls go straight to voicemail and you don't get notifications. It's handy if like me you keep the phone by your bed but get annoyed with notifications and early morning calls. I have it set to go on from 10pm until 10am.

With quick reply, you pull down the phone button when a call comes through and you can reply with a text message or cut the call and set an instant reminder for you to call back in an hour. Great if your at meetings or can't take calls.

see? new things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

see? new things!

Do Not Disturb is the biggest technological advancement of the 21st century. I don't know how I survived before it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Does anyone know when the second upgrade will be available? There's always a second upgrade to fix bugs and it usually comes with the release of a new iTunes, which is due soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Does anyone know when the second upgrade will be available? There's always a second upgrade to fix bugs and it usually comes with the release of a new iTunes, which is due soon too.

Developers usually get their hands on it first and I don't think as of yet Apple have seeded them any updates. New iTunes is due out sometime in October btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Do Not Disturb is the biggest technological advancement of the 21st century. I don't know how I survived before it

Eh?? It doesn't rank quite as highly as iOS5's ability to set your own text message tone! Now THAT was a grounbreaking technological advancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

The wifi at home keeps disconnecting since I updated. Have to manually reconnect in settings a lot. Not sure if the update is the cause or the provider.

wasnt it supposed to be possible to assign mp3s as ringtones? thought I read that someplace, I know you can do it now but its pretty longwinded way to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can create custom ringtones and alerts in iOS 6 using the new version of GarageBand.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

naasrd wrote: »
    My battery went crazy a few days ago, losing about 6% an hour in standby. I did a Reset and it's back to normal and holding really well.

Ya noticed today it drained a little faster but not too much, think il do a restore just to be on the safe side

when doing a reset/restore, is that through itunes? or as a reset all settings on the handset itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

when doing a reset/restore, is that through itunes? or as a reset all settings on the handset itself?

Do a reset on itunes but make sure to back it up before you u do, so when its restored it will have ur apps, music ,files etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

gebbel wrote: »
    The wifi at home keeps disconnecting since I updated. Have to manually reconnect in settings a lot. Not sure if the update is the cause or the provider.

I am having the same issue on my iPad - it's constantly dropping the wifi connection even though its fine on my laptop. I have to go to settings and click on it to reconnect or reboot iPad. I also had a movie rented and after the upgrade it was gone even though I didn't watch it. I backed up iPad before upgrade but no sign of movie after upgrade, even though I can see it in my purchased history. :mad:

Are the people having problems with Wifi, eg. dropping signal, far from the router? For me it's a problem when I go downstairs I lose signal but upstairs is perfect. Both my iPhone and iPad have definitely been negatively effected by iOS 6. Before I had a perfect signal downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

DubDJ wrote: »
    Both my iPhone and iPad have definitely been negatively effected by iOS 6.

Me too, I'm definately finding things taking longer to load, very noticeable in the App Store.

And have had apps just close on me quite often, Engadget App, Sky Sports and App Store, could be unrelated. Just doesn't seem as solid as before I did the update. More negatives than positives for my iPad anyway.

symbolic wrote: »
    Me too, I'm definately finding things taking longer to load, very noticeable in the App Store.

And have had apps just close on me quite often, Engadget App, Sky Sports and App Store, could be unrelated. Just doesn't seem as solid as before I did the update. More negatives than positives for my iPad anyway.

My speed etc is fine. It's just wifi range I'm having issues with. All other aspects are working like clockwork. It's kinda annoying loosing wifi downstairs because its a 3 storey house and the normal mobile edge is all I can get. Which is diabolically slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I had some trouble with wifi before iOS 6 where I would have enter the pass code every time I connected to it. To fix it I forgot the network and added it again but when it was searching for ssid's I tapped other and manually put in the ssid and selected the security type and then the key. It's working fine since then so it's worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

yeah having issues with wifi...when i lock the ipad and then unlock a few minutes later the wifi is not connected, seems to be an issue for a lot of users. Also notice when I play a game on it, when I go back to the home screen its also disconnected...very frustrating, as far as I am concerned it does not do push notifications etc when the ipad is locked.

also noticed the app store is an absolute disgrace, its so slow to load and the new layout is very hard on the eyes. The google search box in the safari browser is also predicting results very much geared towards the States even though all my settings for locations are correct. I dont want to even go into the maps issue, cant believe people actually are defending it.

All in all its an absolute mess and iso6 is very much a regression. Apple really should hold their hands up on this one and admit their mistakes and offer the ability to roll back the iOS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not having any of the problems described in this thread on either my iPad or iPhone. Wifi is perfect, google searches are normal, App Store is much, much faster than before and push notifications are working fine. Overall iOS 6 has been one of the smoothest iOS updates I've had.

Issues aren't widespread. It's only certain people suffering with Wifi problems. Most people are having no problems with the App Store now either. For me everything seems fine except wifi, and battery life has decreased a small bit. It's definately dropping faster than before. But not by a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I put iOS6 on my 3GS last night. Ran into issues initially where it ended up wanting to do a restore.

So far it seems to be running well and slightly smoother/faster. Safari seems quite a bit faster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My wifi is still the only problem and its only on my ipad not my 4s,i contacted apple support and they are unaware of any problems to do with WIFI :mad: So maybe anyone with this problem should report it.

Advertisement