Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

If the maps are really wrong I don't want to upgrade as I use them alot. I will wait till I see some better map update.

I saw from a friends update that Dublin zoo address was strange and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

Just downloaded IOS 6, Seems to have a nice few tweeks but my big problem is not having streetview on maps as i use it quite alot, is there any app that can give me Streetview?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jakdublin wrote: »
    Liking imessages more now that we can text from our desktop using our phone number instead of our email.

Is the update on the Mac App Store for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

naasrd wrote: »
    Is the update on the Mac App Store for this?

Yep. Downloaded it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

biffontour wrote: »
    Just downloaded IOS 6, Seems to have a nice few tweeks but my big problem is not having streetview on maps as i use it quite alot, is there any app that can give me Streetview?

No you'll have to wait till Google launch a new app.

Really you should have read this thread or any other site before updating. We've been talking about it here since it was announced in June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

biffontour wrote: »

No. You'll have to wait for Google to release a standalone app. In the meantime you can use the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

ciaran76 wrote: »
    If the maps are really wrong I don't want to upgrade as I use them alot. I will wait till I see some better map update.

I saw from a friends update that Dublin zoo address was strange and a few other things.

Just looked up Howth Gardai & it gave the location in Mayo !!

Anyway, just create a link to maps.google.com on your home screen. Just did it & prefer it to the traditional app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The maps are atrocious. Very sorry I updated because the new features aren't all that impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

is it true there's no youtube app after the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

podge018 wrote: »

Not a built in one but you have to download the new app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

podge018 wrote: »
    half true. It's no longer preinstalled, but you can download Googles own version from the App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

OU812 wrote: »

Anyway, just create a link to maps.google.com on your home screen. Just did it & prefer it to the traditional app.

Is it possible to get street view using the maps.google.com

Been playing around with it since updating but cant seem to get a street view option

OU812 wrote: »

Funny, I typed in Howth Garda Station and it brought me to Howth Garda Station! I love the flyover view in Dublin city centre, although its a bit sluggish to load. I actually love the new maps.

decies wrote: »
    No panorama on I phone 4 all right

Ah come on. Even my Nokia N86 had this. :mad:

I'm holding off until Google release a Maps app at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The reason Apple introduced the standalone Podcasts app is because they wanted to remove podcasts from the Music app. It doesn't make sense to have them in both places.

The app still has a lot of bugs and annoying behaviour, but a new update came out today that promises more stability improvements. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Just wondering what will happen if you synch your podcasts from iTunes on your computer to your phone if you don't have the podcast app installed. They used to go to the music app but where do they end up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Karsini wrote: »

Anyone know when the Google Maps app is due out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Anyone know how to get the podcast section on iTunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

He means via Apple's camera app specifically. There are other 3rd party apps that can be used for panorama photos on the iPhone 4 (and 4S, and 5, and likely the 3GS as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Johnmb wrote: »
    half true. It's no longer preinstalled, but you can download Googles own version from the App Store.

Anyone know when there is an iPad version due out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Quick question. How can I see what individual songs I don't have downloaded to my iPhone? Before the cloud logo appeared next to those not available, now I only see the cloud logo at the top of the page and it will automatically download all available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

How does the shared photo stream to a friend work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Fairly painless update, all done by 6.10pm. Don't have all the features as only have a 4 but few useful things.

Safari seems a bit quicker, maps meh but I'm sure it will improve.

Music app controls have been revised but videos hasn't for some reason, seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Liking imessages more now that we can text from our desktop using our phone number instead of our email.

How do you do that? I can't find the option to change it.

How do you do that? I can't find the option to change it.

If you update Mountain Lion (new update available today) and open the Messages app it'll add your phone number linked to your iCloud account. It's really neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

decies wrote: »
    How does the shared photo stream to a friend work ?

Go into Photo App.

Click 'Photo Stream' up the top.

Then top left hit the '+' sign and choose who you want to send it to.

You can also choose at that stage if you wanna make the album public on iCloud.com.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

How do I get IOS6?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If you update Mountain Lion (new update available today) and open the Messages app it'll add your phone number linked to your iCloud account. It's really neat.

Oh wow - working now. That's sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In fairness you're ignoring how well the iphone does it.

The guiding it gives an result, with good alignement and stitching is quiet impressive.

After all, a Nokia I had 10 years ago could play MP3 music doesn't make it as good as Music on the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

murpho999 wrote: »
    Maybe you're confused with some localised services being only in US, UK etc.

Still surprised that there are lots of Irish services on Siri now. Big improvement. They must be working on full Irish support

I thought I would share my initial impressions below, so as to help any undecideds to make an informed decision about whether to be early adopters of iOS6:

As a 4S owner, I consider the unexpected Siri improvements for Irish users by far the single most important enhancements to arrive with iOS6.

As this recent article in SiliconRepublic indicated, Irish users weren't to expected to get many of the key enhancements coming with iOS6, notably Siri and 3D Maps:-

"Added knowledge about sports; local search; restaurant information, reviews and reservations; and information on movies, plus reviews and showtimes – none of this will be available to Irish iPhone 5 owners. They also won't be able to benefit from Siri's integration with Twitter and Facebook, which, in a limited number of countries, allows users to orate a status update."

Happily (for the most part) this isn't true:

Maps:-
    - Dublin City Centre in 3D - check
    - Roadworks icons appear indicating information on roadworks, closed lanes etc.

Siri:- (I use the US English version)
    Q: I need a chinese restaurant near here. A: "I found twelve Chinese restaurants fairly close to you. I've sorted them by rating"
    Q: List the movie theatres near here. A: "I've found fourteen movie theatres..eleven of them are fairly close to you"
    Q: Show me a review for the Movie The Bourne Legacy. A: "The Bourne Legacy has a 55% rating from Rotten Tomatoes".
    Q: Show me the trailer for The Bourne Legacy. A: "Here's yours trailer" (launches and plays automatically)
    Q: Update my Facebook Status. A: "What would you like to say?" (launches Facebook notepad screen.

In fact, Siri is answering anything I throw at her. For example:
    - "Call Gourmet Burger Kitchen". A: "Call Gourmet Burger Kitchen on 14 South William Street in Dublin City?" (this restaurant is not in my Phonebook).
    - "Where am I?". A: "You are near X" (map of my location launches)

One thing it won't give me is the actual times of movies playing locally, but hopefully that's just a matter of plugging Siri into a Cinema listings database and will happen sooner rather than later.

As regards the Map App, teething bugs were to be expected with its rollout, especially given that Apple is playing catchup with Google and that we were one of the last European countries to be properly mapped by GPS companies. That aside though, the new Apple Mapping App functions much more fluidly than the old one (on a 4S at least) and I for one am very pleasantly surprised by Apple quietly inviting us Irish Siri users to join the party!

Advertisement