Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea Forest Park: Circular Depressions

Options
  • 18-09-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I've been in and out of and around Donadea a good bit in the last couple of years, and there's a feature of the place that mystifies me.

Along by some of the paths (and sometimes here and there in the deeper woods) are round depressions in the ground. They're about 2.5m in diameter, at a guess, and about 50cm deep. They're pretty perfectly circular. Some of them have filled in a bit with forest debris, but they don't hold water. I haven't taken a count, but I'd guess there are more than 50 of them.

Has anyone any idea what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We call them Gruffalo Footprints ( it amuses our 6YO )

I think it's where big trees have come down , the depression is where the roots were

I may be wrong of course , look out for Gruffalos !!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I think it's where big trees have come down , the depression is where the roots were.

I'm familiar with those kinds of depressions, alright - but they're less regular and distinct than the round ones we've seen.

Tree roots, when they pull up, tend to leave a gradually sloping, irregular hole in the ground, rather than these sharply defined, vertical-walled ones.

Still a mystery! Although I do like Gruffalo Footprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

gothwalk wrote: »
    I'm familiar with those kinds of depressions, alright - but they're less regular and distinct than the round ones we've seen.

Tree roots, when they pull up, tend to leave a gradually sloping, irregular hole in the ground, rather than these sharply defined, vertical-walled ones.

Still a mystery! Although I do like Gruffalo Footprints.

It must be Graffalo's then !! That's my story and I am sticking with it :)

Any chance of a pic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Aliens, definitely Aliens.

Advertisement