Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult Landlord

• 18-09-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,

I have an issue at the moment with my landlord. Last night we had a surprise party for one of our housemates. We had informed our neighbours of this party and that we said we would leave at 23:00 as they requested. It is the first party we have had in the new house.

At around 22:35 last night our neighbours knocked on the door saying, we were violating there sleeping pattern and trying to keep them up all night. We attempted discussion with them but they refused to listen to anything that we had to say to them. We weren't overly loud and no one else seemed to mind.

They proceed to call our Landlord who arrived fairly promptly. She refused to listen to our side of the story and sided entirely with our neighbours and we now have a month notice and are losing our deposit.
    Whereas I don't want to stay on, living there with those neighbours or having her as a landlord. I do not wish to lose my deposit because of a one-sided discussion in which our landlord refused to listen to our side of the story.

I was hoping to gain some advice about how to deal with my current situation?

Regards,
    Alex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hey guys,

I have an issue at the moment with my landlord. Last night we had a surprise party for one of our housemates. We had informed our neighbours of this party and that we said we would leave at 23:00 as they requested. It is the first party we have had in the new house.

At around 22:35 last night our neighbours knocked on the door saying, we were violating there sleeping pattern and trying to keep them up all night. We attempted discussion with them but they refused to listen to anything that we had to say to them. We weren't overly loud and no one else seemed to mind.

They proceed to call our Landlord who arrived fairly promptly. She refused to listen to our side of the story and sided entirely with our neighbours and we now have a month notice and are losing our deposit.
    Whereas I don't want to stay on, living there with those neighbours or having her as a landlord. I do not wish to lose my deposit because of a one-sided discussion in which our landlord refused to listen to our side of the story.

Regards,
    Alex

Just don't pay last months rent simple.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

A party on a Monday night :eek: You were asking for trouble there what was wrong with having it at the weekend?

Anyway she can evict you provided she's given you notice you'll have to look through your tenancy agreement and see if there's any mention of parties or loud noise being a breech of contract.

The tenancy laws tend to favour the tenant these days so you'll probably get your deposit back. Report it to the PRTB and let your land lord know you'll be taking it to them unless she returns your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmeraldWolf

Thought of that, already paid unfortunately! thanks though!

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Just don't pay last months rent simple.

Don't do that as she can go after you for the full 12 months rent then and you'll be in the wrong.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    A part on a Monday night :eek: You were asking for trouble there what was wrong with having it at the weekend?

Anyway she can evict you provided she's given you notice you'll have to look through your tenancy agreement and see if there's any mention of parties or loud noise being a breech of contract.

The tenancy laws tend to favour the tenant these days so you'll probably get your deposit back. Report it to the PRTB and let your land lord know you'll be taking it to them unless she returns your deposit.

Thanks leeomurchu for the sound advice Ill probally do that! Also it was her brithday last night that's why it was on a monday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Write her a letter or a text explaining your side of the story, and advise her if she with holds the deposit you'll lodge a case with the PRTB.
    Alternatively offer to leave quietly at the end of the month with the deposit refunded, and leave the place clean and tidy... (no point adding fuel to the fire)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hey guys,

Regards,
    Alex

What sort of lease agreement do you have and how many months into it are you?

I'd also ask whether there is any back story to this, i.e. have there been any previous complaints/warnings/arguments with neighbours before etc.

If you can clarify that people would be better placed to offer advice!

There was no previous complaints by neighbours. This was the first instance.And we are 18 days into a 12 month lease agreement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

There was no previous complaints by neighbours. This was the first instance.And we are 18 days into a 12 month lease agreement!

It sounds like your landlord has maybe had a bad experience before, with a previous tenant. Call to neighbour with box of chocs and bottle of wine and say sorry. Then contact landlord and explain that if she wishes to evict you, it will leave you in the unfortunate position of having to seek legal advice, but you would rather put relationship back on a good footing and would like to stay where you are.

That being so I don't believe she can evict you legally after a one-off incident before 11PM. Has she put the eviction notice in writing?

I think Doop's advice is spot-on, depending on whether you want to stay or not.

• Advertisement

That being so I don't believe she can evict you legally after a one-off incident before 11PM. Has she put the eviction notice in writing?

I think Doop's advice is spot-on, depending on whether you want to stay or not.

She can if it's in the tenancy agreement it could be under a number of things,
    complaints,parties, if she's had a bad experience before you can be sure she's had a clause included somewhere.

She can if it's in the tenancy agreement it could be under a number of things,
    complaints,parties, if she's had a bad experience before you can be sure she's had a clause included somewhere.

As I understand it the act allows the landlord to terminate the lease agreement for an unremedied breach of covenant such as nuisance or antisocial behaviour. I doubt that eviction for a one-off social occasion before 11 would stand up to scrutiny by the PRTB and I can see no justification for retention of the deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

You have a 12 month lease. Your landlord is bound by this and will have an impossible time claiming anti social behaviour. Why would he keep your deposit? I'd make life very difficult for someone like that.

As I understand it the act allows the landlord to terminate the lease agreement for an unremedied breach of covenant such as nuisance or antisocial behaviour. I doubt that eviction for a one-off social occasion before 11 would stand up to scrutiny by the PRTB and I can see no justification for retention of the deposit.

If you breach any tenancy agreement for whatever reason the landlord has the right to retain his deposit albeit a bit extreme in this case. The landlord could very well pursue you for the money owing on a 12 month tenancy agreement that was breached although unlikely as this is usually the case when the tenant leaves without notice before the end of agreement.

With regard an antisocial behaviour clause it will come down to how it's included in the agreement it may not even be there which would mean she's has no reason for terminating contract and evicting the tenant while retaining his deposit.

There are legal steps in place that the land lord has to follow to evict a tenant I can't remember them off hand but it'll be something along the lines of verbal and written warnings for breach of agreement. It's all gonna come down to the agreement the OP has with his landlord.

The best thing if you want to stay there would be to state your case and see it doesn't happen again but as I was saying the tenancy laws are strongly in favour of tenants these days so it'll be unlikely you'll lose your deposit.

She may not even be registered with the PRTB which would be great in your case because it'll allow you to throw the book at her regarding undeclared earnings and failing to register a tenancy agreement plus all the charges associated with a second investment property she'd be failing to declare make sure she's fully aware you're going to pursue her for return of your deposit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As youre on a 12 month contract my advise would be to inform your landlord that if she proceed with the eviction you will be taking a case against her with the PRTB, where illegal evictions usually result in the tenant getting awarded a payout of many thousands from the landlord.

Despite the fact that you really should not be having parties on a Monday night regardless of whos birthday it was, and in fairness to your neighbour they were within their rights to complain to you, one noise complaint is not sufficient to enforce an anti-social behaviour eviction, and even if the landlord wanted to go to proceed with such an eviction there is a process which she must follow to the letter. Turning up at your house and informing you that you have a month to leave is completely illegal.

If you breach any tenancy agreement for whatever reason the landlord has the right to retain his deposit albeit a bit extreme in this case. The landlord could very well pursue you for the money owing on a 12 month tenancy agreement that was breached although unlikely as this is usually the case when the tenant leaves without notice before the end of agreement.

With regard an antisocial behaviour clause it will come down to how it's included in the agreement it may not even be there which would mean she's has no reason for terminating contract and evicting the tenant while retaining his deposit.

One isolated noise complaint from one neighbour is not anti-social behaviour, and it would not be enough to constitute a breach of the lease unless it was a week long bender with hundreds of people coming and going with loud music blaring 24/7! A simple warning the first time would have been sufficient; from the neighbour initially or from the landlord if they must get involved.

djimi wrote: »
    One isolated noise complaint from one neighbour is not anti-social behaviour, and it would not be enough to constitute a breach of the lease unless it was a week long bender with hundreds of people coming and going with loud music blaring 24/7! A simple warning the first time would have been sufficient; from the neighbour initially or from the landlord if they must get involved.

It is if it's written into the tenancy agreement that there's to be no parties during the working week or any complaints received from neighbours will be deemed a breach of said agreement and result in eviction.

It's all about the wording in his contract unless we get a chance to read it we may aswell be tapping our finger tips on the wall. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

It should just be a warning not too let it happen again unless something happened before. Are the walls paper thin or something or did you have music blaring? Tell the Landlord you are contacting the PRTB or whatever its called and will be taking the issue up in court as usually its three written warnings and then a dismissal. Also take a dump and put it in your neighbours letter box when you are leaving.

It is if it's written into the tenancy agreement that there's to be no parties during the working week or any complaints received from neighbours will be deemed a breach of said agreement and result in eviction.

It's all about the wording in his contract unless we get a chance to read it we may aswell be tapping our finger tips on the wall. :D

Even if such a clause existed in a contract I doubt it would have much legal standing anyway; the landlord cannot determine what constitutes anti-social and what would be a legal eviction, and just because they write it into a lease does not mean that it actually means anything legally. If they tried to go through with the eviction and the tenant took a case with the PRTB then chance are the PRTB would still rule against the landlord unless there was evidence of persistant and/or severe anti-social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Before any eviction notice can be valid a tenant (or landlord) must be given the opportunity to remedy and breach of obligations, whether it is a breach of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 or any special clauses in a lease agreement. Any clauses in a lease agreement which go contrary to the RTA are invalid.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Even if such a clause existed in a contract I doubt it would have much legal standing anyway; the landlord cannot determine what constitutes anti-social and what would be a legal eviction, and just because they write it into a lease does not mean that it actually means anything legally. If they tried to go through with the eviction and the tenant took a case with the PRTB then chance are the PRTB would still rule against the landlord unless there was evidence of persistant and/or severe anti-social behaviour.

Are you not just reiterating my point about the tenancy laws being strongly in favour of the tenant? We could play this merry dance all night :D

the agreement between landlord and tenant is legally binding if the landlord has added clauses the tenant should've been made aware of these.

Yes it's harsh what's happened.

Yes I do think he will get his deposit returned to him.

Yes I do think a party on a Monday night was ill advised.

And finally for those in the cheap seats we've no idea what his tenancy agreement does or does not include.

Good Luck in your new place OP but easy on the Monday night parties :D

Are you not just reiterating my point about the tenancy laws being strongly in favour of the tenant? We could play this merry dance all night :D

the agreement between landlord and tenant is legally binding if the landlord has added clauses the tenant should've been made aware of these.

I suppose I am. The point I was trying to make is that the landlord does not get to decide what constitutes a legal eviction, and if they try and write something into the lease that goes against the tenants rights then it doesnt matter whether or not the tenant signs and agrees to the lease, its still not legally binding. If the tenant can prove that they were unfairly evicted on the basis of one minor and isolated complaint, then even if its in the lease that complaints = eviction or whatever, chances are the landlord is going to find themselves in hot water if the tenant takes a case against them. An illegal eviction is just that, and nothing written into a lease can ever supersede the tenancy laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

You keep repeating this but it's not as simple as you make it out to be. In tenancy disputes the tenant has most of the rights. A landlord needs to make a very good case in order to turf out someone with a 12 month lease out of their home.

The PRTB won't let someone lose their home without even having received a first written warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yes it's harsh what's happened.

Yes I do think he will get his deposit returned to him.

Yes I do think a party on a Monday night was ill advised.

And finally for those in the cheap seats we've no idea what his tenancy agreement does or does not include.

Good Luck in your new place OP but easy on the Monday night parties :D

Dude, if you think the OP is getting evicted over this, you must be smoking the strongest pixie dust in the known universe. :confused::confused::confused:

Have you ever tried to evict a tenant? It is an 18 month process, and even for serious ASBO cases will take 6 months or more.
    My tenant from hell decided to up and leave one day - thank God, as he owed me 2 grand in back rent and simply just wasn't paying it. Landlords just can't get rid of scumbag tenants.

Wake up to reality and stop trying to frighten the OP.

OP: Tel the landlord you are going nowhere. Tell her to start the formal eviction process. Your lease will be up before she gets you out!

Is your tenancy registered with the PRTB? If not, you still get full protection and the LL can be fined.

Additionally, if your tenancy is not registered, then it is very likely that your LL is not paying tax on the rent. Call the Revenue.

Best case for you is an illegal eviction by the way - you will get a minimum 10k compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; on your lease does it say no parties on weekdays, or no parties full stop. If it doesn't, ask the landlord on what grounds is she evicting you.

Also, if it doesn't mention anything about having no parties on the lease, ask the landlady why this will not be an illegal eviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'm fairly certain were not getting full story here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm fairly certain were not getting full story here!

It seems totally implausible that 18 days into a lease , after one party, and nothing in writing, that you are all being evicted.

Did you renew a lease?

If your landlord was there in a few minutes at midnight on a Monday evening it sounds as if she wasn't just happening to pass by, but is in close terms with the neighbours & lives nearby. As well as sounding like an unrealistic nightmare to deal with, do you really want to out up with this kommando-Big brother-Landlording & 24/7 scrutiny all year?

I'd tell her her behaviour is totally unreasonable & accept her instruction to quit.

I'd take the extra full month - the deposit month & look for somewhere in that month. It's unreasonable to expect you to quit halfway through a month when places are typically rented on a full month basis. particularly in September when there is high pressure from colleges on renting.
    Get witnesses to the conversation. Keep it clear & direct & non-confrontational : & don't leave a follow on address. Either there is another part to this story we're not hearing or she's not the kind of person you want to be dealing with, or hoping to get a deposit back from at the end of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

areyawell wrote: »
    Also take a dump and put it in your neighbours letter box when you are leaving.
    Advocating such behaviour is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I have been a tenant and am now a landlord for quite a few years with plenty of experience of all sort of tenants.

What I can tell you is that the tenant has all the rights. Everything is stacked in their favor.

If the landlord was being that much of a dick you could tell the landlord that you are not going anywhere and you are not paying them another penny. You could tell them to get a good lawyer cause this is going all the way to the court and you will not be going until you get evicted by the sheriff. You could expect to stay there rent free for over a year in most cases without paying rent. You could party every night of the week and laugh in their faces when they called to the house. In fact if the landlord called to the property you could call the police and report that you are being harassed. If the landlord even gave you the slightest veiled threat you could have them charged and get up to 15k + from the PTRB. If you wanted to screw them out of a years rent and untold amount of hassle you could.

Personally if I was you I would just leave as the landlord sounds like a dick and would just keep hassling you for your entire tenancy. But if they refused to give you the despot back I would threaten the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tell her to evict you
    then sue
    simples

personally i'd tell her she has one chance to cop op

Advertisement