Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronics repair in Limerick?

• 18-09-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone able to give me some advice as to where in Limerick might be best bet to bring damaged electronics for possible repair.

What I have is a HDMI device that allows connection of my harddrive to television. Managed to drop it recently and USB socket has been damaged. Before I buy a new one, want to check to see if I can get it fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Hey, I'm also looking to get a video player (old school) fixed. So could also do with a electronic repair person in Limerick.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

gandar wrote: »
    Anyone able to give me some advice as to where in Limerick might be best bet to bring damaged electronics for possible repair.

What I have is a HDMI device that allows connection of my harddrive to television. Managed to drop it recently and USB socket has been damaged. Before I buy a new one, want to check to see if I can get it fixed.

Thanks in advance.

There's a shop in Fox's Bow called "Darkside" who can repair USB connections on phones, so I imagine they might be able to do something for you gandar. It's a tricky job soldering those though as the outer case is usually moulded plastic and usually has to be broken apart, therefore unable to be put back together.
    jmch81 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm also looking to get a video player (old school) fixed. So could also do with a electronic repair person in Limerick.

Thanks

What exactly is wrong with the VCR jmch? Might be an easy fix that you could do yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks

There used to be (may still be) a guy in Moloney's Yard, off Little Gerald Griffin St (the street that runs from High St to Gerald Griffin St. Afaik, he used to repair tvs and recorders for Finucane's way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

[/QUOTE]
    What exactly is wrong with the VCR jmch? Might be an easy fix that you could do yourself.[/Quote]
    No power in it. I've changed the fuse in the plug, but no change. Guessing there is another inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I could do with someone to fix an amp for me.

• Advertisement

What exactly is wrong with the VCR jmch? Might be an easy fix that you could do yourself.[/Quote]
    No power in it. I've changed the fuse in the plug, but no change. Guessing there is another inside it.[/Quote]

There is indeed, inside the power supply, it's also quite possible some capacitors on the board are blown. I'll call my hardware guy in the morning (I fix laptops/PC's), but this guy does all my solder work, he used work in Phillips electronics so he knows his stuff, I'll see what he might suggest and post back in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

phog wrote: »
    There used to be (may still be) a guy in Moloney's Yard, off Little Gerald Griffin St (the street that runs from High St to Gerald Griffin St. Afaik, he used to repair tvs and recorders for Finucane's way back.
    keep away from him,,brought my JVC camcorder to him a fewyears back and he messed it up costing me more repairs.

PMs sent jm and vkid. :)

Advertisement